Inspire me to get out

chadders81
chadders81 Posts: 744
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I'm having one of those days where I got up too late and now I'm saying to myself "not enough time" or "what about that creak on the bottom bracket".

I know I should go and do 40 miles or so because I've been a lazy bastard this week but something is stopping me. I've watched Wiggins' time trial in the hope it would make me put my kit on and get out the door. Didn't work.

I need your words of encouragement.

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    You'll feel fantastic when you get back and for the rest of the weekend if you go.

If you don't, you'll feel like a lazy git all weekend
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 16,967
    The only thing on telly this evening is football. You might as well.
  • chadders81
    chadders81 Posts: 744
    Okay - 36 miles done. Didn't enjoy the hayfever or the near constant headwind but I do feel better.

Why does Strava keep knocking the corners off my rides at the moment?

It reckons I did 34 miles when I know that's not true. And the map shows me riding through fields.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    Chadders81 wrote:
    Okay - 36 miles done. Didn't enjoy the hayfever or the near constant headwind but I do feel better.

Why does Strava keep knocking the corners off my rides at the moment?

It reckons I did 34 miles when I know that's not true. And the map shows me riding through fields.
    Thats not Strava; that's the lack of datum points/inaccurate data from your GPS... usually because its not got a good satellite lock, so accuracy has suffered. The difference between having 7 and 9 satellites can be accuracy to 50m or 10m. Riding down a country lane under damp tree cover can cause your GPS to be easily 50m out, putting you in a field! Losing corners can be for the same reason, or can be due to too slow a sample rate for your speed. Phones generally do 3s sampling, a GPS like a Garmin 800 can do 1 or 3s sampling 'intelligently' according to speed.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    I always make sure my garmin has the location locked before I start moving. Else can make for a ruined recording.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    Chadders81 wrote:
    I'm having one of those days where I got up too late and now I'm saying to myself "not enough time" or "what about that creak on the bottom bracket".

I know I should go and do 40 miles or so because I've been a lazy bastard this week but something is stopping me. I've watched Wiggins' time trial in the hope it would make me put my kit on and get out the door. Didn't work.

I need your words of encouragement.

do what i did. Not go to herne hill because actually I'll probably get lost trying to get there. Not go surrey 3 hills because its actually a bit too windy. Not go to the park because it will be too busy. Instead take the boys into kingston, buy a cd, eat a pastie, get those little diy bits that have been building up over the past month, pick up a copy of cycling plus and decide to go out tomorrow after work, instead. Its ok to have an "I cant be bothered" day.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    I spent the day sorting my PC out because it kept crashing out in games. Polished up an old CPU block I had lying aboutn meaning to replace the old one for ages, cleaned out the dust maggot colony it seemed to be growing. Dropped 40C off my idle temperatures and 30C off load temps. I guess it's the PC equivalent of how much better your bike feels after a bit of TLC. Only you can see it in a graph. Poor thing's jealous because I spend more time playing on/with the bike than I do on the PC these days. Car needs an oil change too but it can wait in line, wife probably needs a service to but one has to get one's priorities straight.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Buyan MTB and head offroad ;-)
  • Stone Glider
    Stone Glider Posts: 1,227
    I love it when you talk dirty :twisted:
    The older I get the faster I was