Specialized FSR XC pro paint/bearing re-furb *finished*

ricardo_smooth
ricardo_smooth Posts: 1,281
edited January 2013 in Your mountain bikes
Well, after a couple of these popping up for builds/re-furbs. I decided mine was looking rather tired and in need of a bit of TLC. I've had the bike from new and it's covered countless miles, so had its fair share of marks/scrapes as a result. I had it in bits to check the frame bearings and discovered that they were all shot :lol: so new bearings are on order. I then decided that whilst I had it in so many pieces that white was soooo 2010 and that a full re-spray would be warranted.

Prep work has taken an age so far, with rubbing down by hand taking time due to all the graphics being painted on from the factory.

Hopefully the end result will be worth it....anyway pics so far

0b0dd669.jpg

front triangle rubbing down

ae98871f.jpg

frame almost primed, just needs a bit more (with ghetto spraying stand!)

545fef74.jpg
rear triangle part 1

85748899.jpg

rear triangle part 2

Today's plan is to finish priming and get some colour on there!

Comments

• ricardo_smooth
    Well, progress has been good today, front triangle needed a couple more coats of primer to prevent some of the old suff showing through (and one small area reacted so had to sort that out).

Target achieved with the first coat of colour going on.........sunglasses at the ready!

ef6c44d1.jpg
    front triangle
    6a741b1b.jpg
    rear triangle
    f4d491d6.jpg
    linkages

Now for another coat of colour tomorrow (after sorting out 2 runs onthe front :evil: ) then wait gor the postman to produce my new black decals before the laquer goes on!
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looking good! When mine needs doing I know wehre to go ;-)
  • ricardo_smooth
    ha, I wouldn't say that just yet, some funny marks have appeared the more it dries (not reaction marks though so it's weird). Hoping after its dried overnight etc then another coat of paint with cover them up.....we will see!
  • ricardo_smooth
    quick update (not touched it for a little bit because I have the face on that I can't ride atm due to injury!)

given it some lacquer and applied the decals before some more lacquer

296514ea.jpg
    3942851d.jpg

I think it's turning out quite nice! Off to finish lacquering and then let it cure in the house for a week before fitting the shiny new bearings I have for it!
  • DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    loving your work

cant wait to see the finished article
  • ricardo_smooth
    thanks mate, it's locked away in the spare room (aka the curing oven :lol:) for the next week, then i'll build it back up. Just a shame that the reba lowers are white. Would have looked much better if they were white!
  • ricardo_smooth
    Well, it's back together (almost). pretty please tbh (apart from a couple of self inflicted chips which i now need to touch up grrrr). Shame the forks are white though!

22e15032.jpg
  • chez_m356
    chez_m356 Posts: 1,893
    damn, does that glow in the dark ? :lol: you could have done the rocker arms white to balance the forks, white bar/seat post perhaps ? still looking good though, nice :D
    Specialized Hardrock Sport Disc 10- CANYON Nerve AM 6 2011
  • DCR00
    Well, it's back together (almost). pretty please tbh (apart from a couple of self inflicted chips which i now need to touch up grrrr). Shame the forks are white though!

22e15032.jpg

that's not a week !

LOVE the colour, think you should spray your rocker link black tho...
  • ricardo_smooth
    I was thinking or re-doing the rockers black....it wasn't a week as it was ready to be built :lol: touch ups , then t-cut, then polish, then taping cable rub areas.

paint it halfrauds flourescent orange!
  • ricardo_smooth
    All done now, just in time before the rain came down!

Total spend including new bearing set
    £60

42f8004c.jpg
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    Looks good, but definately needs a white rocker link to finish it off.
  • Great job

I need to replace the shock pivot bearings (frame) on mine, can they be bought on their own or do they need to be bought as part of a kit.

Will I required a special tool to replace them. :)
  • Lovely re-spray! Looks good. Was it hard to switch the bearings out? I've got a 08 FSR, and need to replace bearings at some point, and just wondered what tools I need?
  • DCR00
    The frame bearings arent too difficult to do; mine came out with a screwdriver and a couple of taps with a hammer. Putting them back you can use a socket and a G Clamp.

The rocker bearings were a different matter and needed much patience and lots of grease