Rapha Wind Jacket vs. Rain Jacket

indysmith
indysmith Posts: 276
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Has anybody tried both of these?
I just want a regular, hard-wearing riding jacket that keeps me cool, comfortable and dryish whilst riding in typical unpredictable British weather.
It's got to fit in a back pocket too - are both of these jackets packable? Do either of them come with a stuff sack?
It will be used for commuting as well as road riding, so it'd be nice if it wasn't too short at the front.
I'm not actually set on Rapha - I just tend to gravitate towards them because all of my other stuff is Rapha and it's always served me well, lasted for ages and been comfy.

Comments

• Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    i have the rain jacket, packs down well but no stuff sack, great fit and looks good would buy again
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    I can't comment on the rain jacket but I have had the old Stowaway for 4 years which I think is the new wind jacket.

It is superbly light, thin and very easy pocketable.
    For the first year it was (serious) rainproof for up to an hour. After that it diminished and now will only keep a brief shower at bay. And that is with regular re-proofing.
    On the plus side, even now it will keep the chill out and is extremely breathable. The rain that does get in is only equal to the sweat that other jackets generate so I am still happy to use it.

If I knew that the rain jacket would be as good as the Stowaway was for it's first 12 months - and stay that way - I would buy one.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • indysmith
    Thanks guys.
    Hanners is the rain jacket very breathable? How long have you had it, and has it stayed waterproof?
    Daviesee does the stowaway come with a stuff-sack? What do you re-proof it with?

What is the length like on both of the jackets? What sort of a temperature range are they comfortable in?
  • daviesee
    indysmith wrote:
    Thanks guys.
    Hanners is the rain jacket very breathable? How long have you had it, and has it stayed waterproof?
    Daviesee does the stowaway come with a stuff-sack? What do you re-proof it with?

What is the length like on both of the jackets? What sort of a temperature range are they comfortable in?

Stowaway didn't come with a pack, I just stuff it in a jersey pocket.
    I reproof it with Nikwax.
    Length is short at the front with an extended tail to around coccyx level.
    Temperature range? Hmmm, I am comfortable sub zero with a merino base layer, sportswool s/s jersey, arm warmers and the Stowaway (plus longs, skull cap, full gloves etc, etc). Also comfortable at 20 degrees with the same base layer, jersey and Stowaway if raining and taking it relatively easy.

Hope that helps.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I have the rain/ wind jacket. I'm on my second now as my first got badly damaged when I came off the bike plus the waterproof qualities mysteriously vanished after lending it to a friend. I suspect it was put through the wash before returning it to me and there was a reaction between the cleaning products and the waterproofing. I tried treating it but to no avail.

I find it a perfect jacket to stuff into a back pocket. There is no warmth as such from it, but it does take the edge off the breeze. I deal with base layers/ arm warmers for warmth and the jacket to keep me dry/ break the breeze. The jacket does feel breathable and I can wear it for a full ride without too much steaming up - much better than I had expected.

The only other Rapha jacket I have is the softshell but this is a much heavier duty product for colder days and not suitable for folding down.

Peter
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I have the Rain Jacket. It's perfect. Next to my Rapha Soft Shell Gilet and Jacket, they are the best items of cycling clothing I've ever bought.

I took the view that I'd use the Rain Jacket if it's clearly going to, or is, raining, otherwise I'd just use the Gilet.

Buy once, buy well.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I have to admit I own both (lucky chap, I found a wind jacket for £50 in the London sale last year!).

They do serve different purposes too. I get far more use from the wind jacket because of the cool weather and because it genuinely does stuff down into a jersey pocket. Rapha stopped calling in waterproof some years ago because it really isn't. When new it seems to repel water very well for up to an hour, but as mentioned once washed it looses some of that resistance. You can treat it with NikWax wash-in proofing but it's never quite the same. If the temperature rises it will make you sweat, like all nylon jackets.

The rain jacket is a different proposition. It is heavier weight and fully lined, making it nice to wear against the skin/arms if it's raining but warm. Mine has always been 100% waterproof too, but I have avoided washing it so far. The downside is it's a bulkier jacket to carry and although it will roll up into a jersey pocket it's more of a nuisance. For this reason I only wear mine if I know it is likely to rain for a prolonged period or if the rain is very heavy. Thankfully it therefore gets a lot less use that the wind jacket!

You need to ask yourself what you want it for and what type of use it gets. Do you try and avoid riding in the rain - if so you'll get far more use out of the wind jacket anyway. From your description I'd guess the wind jacket will work better for you.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    ajb72 wrote:
    You need to ask yourself what you want it for and what type of use it gets. Do you try and avoid riding in the rain - if so you'll get far more use out of the wind jacket anyway. From your description I'd guess the wind jacket will work better for you.

Think the OP said commuting....
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    ShutUpLegs wrote:
    ajb72 wrote:

Think the OP said commuting....

Thanks for the input :roll: , but he actually said commuting as well as general road riding. My point was to get the jacket that will get most use - a full rain jacket is fine for commuting perhaps, but will be required far less often due to its warmth and bulk than a wind jacket. Despite recent weather, it actually does not rain on that many days, in England at least, and on some of those when it does it will be too warm for a full rain jacket. Hence, I suggested the wind jacket might be of more use to him.
  • harrydaisy
    harrydaisy Posts: 131
    I have the team rain jacket and I must say that it's buy far the best bit of kit I have ever bought ( should be for £190!!). I have worn it thought winter on early morning rides with just a base layer and a jersey and my core has been warm. I would also use it thought the summer in heavy rain with just a jersey. It roles up compact is very light and washes up well. When Rapha get it right it's worth the top dollar.
    Wilier Izoard XP "Petacchi"/ Campag Veloce/ Fulcrum Racing 5
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7/ Campag Xenon
  • indysmith
    Thanks a lot for all the input guys! I actually don't make any sort of effort to avoid the rain, (I use bikes as my premier method of transport) and find myself getting soaked to the skin surprisingly often so I would actually appreciate the jacket staying waterproof. Recently I've been using a Polaris rain jacket though (no idea what it's called I'm afraid), and find myself getting very hot and sweaty and sticky inside it, which isn't nice...
    Both of the jackets clearly have their strengths and weaknesses... I just need to make up my mind before this 15% voucher expires on the 17th!
  • indysmith
    As an aside, I used to own Rapha's Lightweight Softshell back in the day and LOVED it. It kept the water out and kept me at the right temperature all year round... god knows why they discontinued it.
  • Hanners
    Hanners Posts: 260
    the rain jacket length is good, the arms are long for riding and the back is longer. it is a fair chunk of cash but well worth it. i wouldnt say its bulky it packs down well for a rain jacket
  • I'm slightly embarrassed to admit that I own both. Like others have commented, they are different propositions. I prefer my wind jacket as it is far more versitle. BUT...I haven't washed it yet! What I like about it is that it is highly waterproof, breathable and very light - much lighter than your average race cape. And...it looks good too! I have washed my rain jacket..and it's still waterproof. My main gripe with the rain jacket is that it is great if you're riding in constant p*ssing down rain. But..living on the east coast, I don't find that I regularly ride in such conditions. Once the rain eases off, you will start to overheat in it. Even in cold conditions. And it isn't that packable. It's a bit of a one trick pony...but if you live somewhere like the Lakes, its probably the best £200 you've ever spent.

So, I would say go for the wind jacket. But the before and after wash comments have unsettled me!
    Never mistake motion for action
    Tweet@gmunrop69
    Trainerroad - GMan69
  • daviesee
    So, I would say go for the wind jacket. But the before and after wash comments have unsettled me!

Use the right soap and you may be okay. IIRC normal bio soap washes out the repellant eventually and that ties in with my experience. I use Nikwax soap and reproofing now but that is like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted :oops:
  • indysmith
    Update: I went for the Rain Jacket bundle in the end. I decided that I really do need something thoroughly waterproof (it never seems to stop raining where I live - I've been soaked through multiple times in the last few days... and it's June!)
    For the price of the rain jacket by itself I got the jacket, a cap, some neoprene overshoes and a couple of water bottles courtesy of my 15% voucher and the bundle deal. Feeling quite happy about that. I'll be sure to report back with my thoughts. Thanks for all your help guys.
  • cento1
    cento1 Posts: 15
    Guys just needed some advise on sizing,Im size XS for classics jersey and small for proteam,,Just wondering what size to get in terms of the wind jacket,rapha stocks are running low so I badly needed advise based on your experience..Thanks and sorry for digging out the the body from the grave..lol
  • northpole
    Don't know if this will be any help. I have classic jersey and others, but not the pro versions. I'm size xl in those. I also have wind, rain and soft shell jackets all in size xl. I reckon the sizing is pretty consistent across these ranges, so perhaps the pro/ race fit is the odd one out. I found that the same was true of the S5 F1 shorts - a tighter all round fit than the Mille version. Unless you have to wear several layers, I'd say you should be safe matching the classic jersey sizing. If possible, try them on in either Condor Cycles or the Rapha shop if it's open - both in central London.

Peter
  • cento1
    cento1 Posts: 15
    thanks for reply peter,,one more concern is the fit,I like the snug fit on my jerseys,just wondering if the classic wind jacket is on the loose side?,im avoiding those floppy feeling during wind,considering wearing few layers under it..btw Im buying online and since some store ran out..
  • Sir Velo
    Sir Velo Posts: 143
    Can only comment on rain jacket, I am probably a L in Rapha for a tight fit but gone for XL in rain jacket so I can wear over thicker jersey o gillet. But if I was only after a rain jacket to wear over a standard race jersey then L would be right. However if I am Only wear a race jersey then I probably don't nee a rain jacket as it is warm enough just to ride and get wet or I am at a coffee stop/easy pace rid then I am not worried about a bit of extra size.

Don't find the rain jacket that breathable if work hard (is there one?) but ok for lower tempo riding or if it is both cold and raining fairly well.

SV
  • northpole
    I think you'll be fine - the wind jacket is not loose fitting and doesn't behave like a spinnaker in the breeze! I also have an xxl wind jacket which isn't too bad either - more relaxed for wearing layers below, but overall I prefer the xl sizing (ie same as classic jersey sizing). Everyone has slightly different proportions within a certain sizing, so it would be good to have a few more opinions!

Peter