The Olympic Torch

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,323
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
So the Olympic torch is on it's way round Britain.

Have you been to see it? Were you a torch holder? Are you a grumblebum (TM DDD)?

Personally I missed it despite living in one of the overnight stops, the kids got to see it though and were genuinely excited about it.

Wherever it goes on it's route round GB it'll be hard to top the photos from 'round our way'.

article-0-1371AAD4000005DC-417_470x642.jpg

As we say in Northern Ireland - Keep 'er lit
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    My youngest child runs with it in Inverness tomorrow evening - can't wait - will burst with pride
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,323
    My youngest child runs with it in Inverness tomorrow evening - can't wait - will burst with pride

Would you mind posting up some photos? It would be interesting to see posts and photos from round the country.
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • meanredspider
    Would I mind? Are you kidding? 8)
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    Look forward to seeing the pictures. Go little MRS.
  • Applespider
    Applespider Posts: 506

BBC Torchcam is on the red button this afternoon til 7 so perhaps we can watch live...
  • Agent57
    Agent57 Posts: 2,300
    I'll go and watch it. It passes within 300 metres of my house on June 22nd, and I've taken the day off work (I work 60 miles away in Salford). Not just because of the torch, but also because I've signed up to marshal some crits around the city centre in the evening (VeloCity/CDNW Regional B and National B races), and I'm supposed to be around from 5:30pm (I don't normally get back to Lancaster until almost 7:30pm).

The torch should go close to both my daughter's and son's schools, so I expect they'll get out to see it. If the schools don't give them the opportunity to see it, I'll be pretty cross.
    MTB commuter / 531c commuter / CR1 Team 2009 / RockHopper Pro Disc / 10 mile PB: 25:52 (Jun 2014)
  • suzyb
    suzyb Posts: 3,449
    I personally think it's a bit of a joke tbh. Someone runs a little, then it gets driven to the next start point and so on. And the fuss the BBC is making over it is ridiculous.

And I think the 10% of the country that it doesn't come within 10 miles of is the middle of Scotland. It seems to skirt around the M8 corridor, a highly populated part of Scotland yet it visits the Republic of Ireland.
  • meanredspider
    Amazing amazing experience
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Will be going to see it next weekend, in the area then iirc. Give the kids something to tell their grand kids once the worlds gone to hell.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.