putting on handlebar tape

iclestu
iclestu Posts: 503
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
is it as easy as it looks in the youtube videos or best left to a lbs?
FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro

Comments

• king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    Quite easy and a nice job to do, just take your time - this is key. I'm a disaster when it comes to doing bike stuff, if I can do this job anyone can :-) If you make a mess you can unwrap part of it then re-roll. I used Fizik MicroTex Bar Tape with no problems, I'm told you get better results with practice.

I worked from this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OB4FUY4NekM
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    What KJ said.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I use Cinelli cork gel which has a a tacky strip as opposed to an adhesive so even if you muck it up you can just unravel it and start again (I'm sure there are plenty of others like this).
  • It's not as easy as it looks on youtube, but that's only because the people on there have done it many times before. It's really not hard though, you can wrap, take it off, and wrap again until you're happy with it and it's a good way of taking pride in your bike. I agree with King Jeffers that the Fizik tape is great but that's a matter of personal preference, some people might want more padding. The technique in that youtube video... this might be personal preference again... but it didn't seem that great to me as something to aspire to. This is a nice wrap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fhXeSJQtoWU

With a nice figure 8 round the hoods (no need for that extra tongue of tape), clean cut at the end, and with the finishing tape only around the bar tape, without it touching the bare bars. Oh so Pro. Although wrapping your own bars is probably not that Pro...
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    It's easier than gettin' the bl00dy stuff clean! :D
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
  • iclestu
    thanks guys.

Think ill give it a whirl. Pics to follow!

• jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    I did mine for the first time a few weeks ago, with minimal research :-(

Lessons learnt:

1. Keep it tight as you wind. As in properly tensioned else it seems it will loosen and give gaps if you don't.
    2. Look at the overlap carefully.

I didn't overlap enough in places, and in conjunction with 1 this led to gaps opening up and tape moving about :-(
  • iclestu
    jmcc500 wrote:

Lessons learnt:

1. Keep it tight as you wind. As in properly tensioned else it seems it will loosen and give gaps if you don't.

I didn't overlap enough in places, and in conjunction with 1 this led to gaps opening up and tape moving about :-(
    thats just made me a little more nervous!

Thanks for the advice tho, I shall endeavour to learn from your mistakes! :-)

• Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    Do it :D

I did my new tri bars yesterday :-
    7358663760_ed330682ab.jpg
    Tribar by twostage, on Flickr

Wasn't sure if I could use the bar end stops so I used the tape to make a waterproof seal at the ends.
    I use Easton tape.
  • jmcc500 wrote:

Lessons learnt:

Those are pretty much the two things that come with practice, and it would be kind of miraculous if you could get it perfect straight away first time. But you can unwind it and do it again bit by bit until it looks good. A possibly useful thing to do, presuming you are re-wrapping, is to do one side first - leave the old tape on the other one and use that to guide your overlapping.

Good luck!