Mmmmmm. What the hell are the buttons for

boogi11
boogi11 Posts: 354
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi, so I picked up my new bianchi via neurone xenon 2012. Looks nice but really windy so all I can do is look at it and fettle , which leads me to the question, what do the 9/8 button( really hard to read) on the left changer, and mode button on the right changer do and what are they for

Comments

• woodywmb
    woodywmb Posts: 669
    They're for maintaining your cadence. You will soon be able to work them with your eyes closed. Uphill, downhill.
  • boogi11
    You must be. Is taking me for somebody who understands what you just wrote :) . I understand cadence, but how do the buttons work
  • woodywmb
    Hiya
    You just press the bottons to go through your gears. The bottons were introduced by Tullio's boy.
  • boogi11
    I think you are missing the point, there is a shifter under the brake lever to go up the gears, there is a mother normal button you flick to go down the gears, but next to that is another button that is part of the grip with mode written on it, and on the left side it is the same but appears to have 9/8 written on it
  • woodywmb
    Assumed these were thumb shifters. Could be device to drop a collection of gears in one go.
    http://www.chickencycles.co.uk/index.php?cat=39&sub=72
  • Wheelspinner
    Wheelspinner Posts: 6,662
    I suspect the buttons are the spots where the old Campagnolo Ergobrain connections used to go. That was a bike computer, much like Shimano Flight Deck or similar, which had control microswitches hidden in the hoods. You ran a fine wire from the head unit along under the bar tape to them.

Not sure you can even still get them, so unsure why the hoods still have the "buttons"

It was Italian electronics at it's finest... :lol:
    Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    Could it be to change the number of gears you have?

Such as 9 would correspond to a 9 speed cassette etc. I know I have 2/3 on my Shimano XT MTB gears to change between 2/3 front gears
  • ascurrell
    ascurrell Posts: 1,739
    I suspect the buttons are the spots where the old Campagnolo Ergobrain connections used to go. That was a bike computer, much like Shimano Flight Deck or similar, which had control microswitches hidden in the hoods. You ran a fine wire from the head unit along under the bar tape to them.

Not sure you can even still get them, so unsure why the hoods still have the "buttons"

It was Italian electronics at it's finest... :lol:

Plus one for above, have a look at link, after about 2 minutes on

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7luUWGc9K8
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
    could it be you have Campagnolo XENON QS / ESCAPE 10sp shifters?
    if so, then this might help...

Chorus 10 speed Ergopower Quick Shift Levers.
    The left-hand control is the QS type to interface with the new QS front derailleurs that are snappier and lighter shifting
    Shifting to smaller sprockets, even shifting several sprockets at a time is possible as are micro-adjustments to the front derailleur
    Supplied with pre-lubricated cable casings and inner cables for brakes and derailleurs
    Weight: 348g

found here: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/campagnolo-chor ... grabber-uk
  • boogi11
    Yes, that's what I have, but not in cabin, but still not sure how to use them properly
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,102
    Your buttons hold your trousers up.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • mog812
    mog812 Posts: 66
    hopefully this will clarify your levers...
    http://www.campagnolo.com/repository/do ... arteGB.pdf
    pages 14-16
    hope it helps.

Mog.
  • The Ors
    The Ors Posts: 130
    I have the same bike (albeit a few years older)

My 'buttons' say 'S/S' & 'Mode'.

I suspect Wheelspinner is correct; they are a leftover from some kind of bike computer option. I have had the rubber hoods off of mine. There is nothing under the 'buttons'. They do nothing... :)
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Issa same on my 105 hoods; I have little rubber 'buttons' which blank off the holes where the Flightdeck computer wiring would go if I wanted to go all retro electromechanical.

Instead I'm saving up for something GPS based
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    Issa same on my 105 hoods; I have little rubber 'buttons'

I'd always just assumed these were moulding spots...