confused over physio advice

tubbs_214
tubbs_214 Posts: 185
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
right ive been to 2 physio and they both said different things regarding my it band strain as far as stretches and foam rollering, one of the physios said to only foam role once a day as it damages the tissues in your leg as well as stretches the it band where as the other one said to do it as much as possible, and that when i stretch i should hold the stretches and count to 20 but the other one said that i dont need to hold them and that i should come straight back up after feeling it stretch and start again he said that this was because it was a tendon problem not a muscle one

any help with this would be appreciated as im a bit stuck on what to do

oh the reason ive seen 2 physio's was because one was though the NHS and the other was part of a bike fit that i had done because of the it problem

again thanks for any help

Comments

• d87heaven
    d87heaven Posts: 348
    If you can damage a muscle by pushing it against foam we all better get off the sofa. You won't stretch the ITB but you can the muscles that are attatched to it. Do they need stretching, who knows but to get muscle to lengthen you need to hold the stretch for 20 secs+ .
    Weaseling out of things is important to learn. It's what separates us from the animals! Except the weasel