What kind of jacket, if any, do you all use for commuting???

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,946
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Hello all,

I will fairly shortly, well later this month, be starting a 20 mile each way commute.

Previously i have had a little tiddler of a 2 mile one, and have used a berghaus bike jacket, which is completely waterproof but has no pitzips, or more often a montane featherlite jacket, which is fine, but not waterproof, or even that resistant - I expect the waterproofness has worn off.

I suspect neither of these will be 'that' suitable for a longish commute when the weather starts to turn a little wet and or cold.

I read multiple reviews etc etc, and cannot fathom whether to go for a waterproof shell type of affair, something like a Gore Oxygen, or to go for a softshell/windblocker and not worry about the wet.

Is it better to layer up when it is cold, ie base layer/thicker jersey, and just stick a windblocker on top?
As opposed to getting a warmer jacket?

What do people on here use and recommend - I'm guessing a lot of people wil have learned from experience what does and does not work?

Cheers

Dan
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• Drfabulous0
    Drfabulous0 Posts: 1,539
    For the wet I wear a Rapha Rain Jacket, similar idea to the Gore Oxygen II jacket I agreed to sell you but more expensive, for the cold I wear a warm Gore Cosmo jacket, but water pours through it like a tea bag, sometimes I wear a gillet, a lighter windproof or no jacket, but the rain jacket always comes with me because the weather is so changeable.

Will
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    If it is below 8 degrees or expected to be wet, I will wear my Gore Oxygen.

It could be a bit more breathable but then it would likely be less waterproof.
    What irritates more is the lack of a pocket for keys/fob.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    None when ever possible. Shouldn't need to be asking this in June ffs
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • msmancunia
    msmancunia Posts: 1,415
    Altura Night Vision when it's wet, plus base layers when it's cold.

It's a bit boil in the bag, but as someone else already pointed out, if it wasn't then it wouldn't keep me dry (which it does). Two side pockets, a back pocket, and mine even came with a rather nice rear light to velcro on.
    Commute: Chadderton - Sportcity
  • centimani
    centimani Posts: 467
    For all year commuting...you need at least three jackets :? IMO.
    Also the distance you're doing makes a huge difference. TBF, my commutes were short.

Winter... i use an Altura Nevis. Cycled in minus 10 temps, never got my torso cold. Anything above a couple of degrees, you boil in it.
    Early spring, autum..Lusso HT50, much lighter than the Nevis, but even so, you soon overheat. On your longer commute, overheating could be a big issue.
    Any other time, if its windy and chilly but not cold, i use a Cropton lightweight jacket. Extremely light.

90% of the rest of the time, i never use a jacket....too hot too quick, and thats only on a 7.5 mile commute.

One thing i never had was a proper rainproof jacket. The Nevis and HT50 were failry waterproof when new, but with time, they lose that ability. Even then, heavy downpours would defeat them.

Ive got/had so many jackets, no one alone will even remotely do for all conditions.
    Simply, you want (IMO) three...a heavy, medium and very light.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    If its below 10degC, my Gore Phantom. Above that temperature generally nothing, just a base layer and jersey, unless its very windy or light showers, then the Gore again, maybe with the sleeves zipped off. If its wet, as opposed to light showers, my Endura Equipe Helium Jacket. If its windy but dry and warm I have a lightweight windproof gilet.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • meanredspider
    meanredspider Posts: 12,337
    Only really need one jacket - even in this part of the world

I use an Assos Airjack 851 - Windstopper type fabric. No point in trying to stay dry - boil-in-the-bag will soak you in your own sweat. Gore Windstopper (Phantom etc) would do the job just as well - doesn't rain very often. Then layer up - next-to-skin, S/S base layer, L/S base layer etc
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    I've just got a Mavic H2O for when it's raining heavily and below about 15degC (so that'll be throughout the last week then). As waterproofs go it's fairly breathable due to lots of cleverly placed vents. Half price at Evans at the mo.

In the depths of winter (sub zero temps) I have a Rab windproof smock thing that's fleece lined (not cycling specific).

Otherwise I wear combinations of various long and short sleeve base layers & jerseys, arm warmers and a gilet depending on temp.
  • daxplusplus
    daxplusplus Posts: 631
    Endura Windchill for when I'm worried I might get cold. That covers everything from about 10C all the way down to seriously negative numbers.

I do sometimes also wear it when it's warmer but only if it's also wet and windy - but I actually reckon something like a gilet + arm warmer combo might be more flexible in situations like that, just can't afford them at the moment.

The main problem for my commute during spring/autumn is that in the morning I tend to need warm/wind proof kit (it's cold at 7am) and then in the eve I don't (it tends to be warmer at 6pm). You may find you have the same issue.
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Another vote here for the Gore Phantom. Waterproof to a point, warm enough, removable sleeves and pockets round the back plus enough reflective bits on it to help on the visibility stakes.

I use mine into the dark depths of winter going into spring with as many base + under layers as I think are reasonable for the conditions. The Gore top is the first to be put away when the weather warms up a bit and the cold harsh rain stops, so prob July this year when I last see it.

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/gor ... t-ec024439

Edit - also a 20+ mile commute. The Phantom is bang on for this sort of distance.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Gore Fusion for me. Best compromise i've yet found between breathable and waterproof
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Mavic Echappée windproof jacket has to be my purchase of the year. From 5-12 degrees, basically most of this year, its been fantastic,the zips let you regulate temperature and as far as cycling kit goes, pretty damn stylish IMO. I also ride it in the rain and this is on a 22mile commute.

I was using a Gore Path II full waterproof but its actually only useful below 5 degrees, anything above and you just get wet from the inside out.

Now is a probably a great time to buy if you can find a bargain. Mine was imported from a German store for £99 all in and arrived in 3 days!

67076.jpg
  • meanredspider
    iPete wrote:

67076.jpg

Without sparking a whole new debate, black isn't a colour I'd choose for commuting, though and it's a shame (I don't know if this I the case with the Mavic) when a "winter" jacket is only available in black. I know lights can offset some of this but there's a reason why special forces troops tend to wear black (and it's not because it's "slimming" :wink: )
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    Also available in red and without starting a debate I'm certainly not a member of the high vis/day glo jacket croud but my dark clothing is the reason I rock around with a Hope District rear light with white M3 tape on my frame and helmet.
  • meanredspider
    iPete wrote:
    Also available in red and without starting a debate I'm certainly not a member of the high vis/day glo jacket croud but my dark clothing is the reason I rock around with a Hope District rear light with white M3 tape on my frame and helmet.

Cool.

Just throwing it out there as a consideration point
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    I used to ride with 2 jackets in winter (brrr), a windproof, and a separate breathable waterproof. The waterproof only comes out when it is raining. That combination works pretty well and there is no real need for you to buy anything else yet.
    My own winter (brrr) jacket is a Paramo which is warm but highly breathable and copes with any amount of rain. Some people find it too warm.
    A summer waterproof needs to have as much ventilation as possible: pit zips, back vent and a zip flap with poppers so you can ride unzipped.
  • optimisticbiker
    optimisticbiker Posts: 1,657
    MichaelW wrote:
    I used to ride with 2 jackets in winter (brrr), a windproof, and a separate breathable waterproof. The waterproof only comes out when it is raining. That combination works pretty well and there is no real need for you to buy anything else yet.
    My own winter (brrr) jacket is a Paramo which is warm but highly breathable and copes with any amount of rain. Some people find it too warm.
    A summer waterproof needs to have as much ventilation as possible: pit zips, back vent and a zip flap with poppers so you can ride unzipped.
    I have done the same in extreme conditions; worn the Endura Helium waterproof over the Gore Windstopper. Takes the real edge off the windchill and the combination is effective at keeping me dry internally.
    Invacare Spectra Plus electric wheelchair, max speed 4mph :cry:
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    for longer cold rides I use this http://www.montane.co.uk/products/men/windproof/featherlite-velo-jacket/104 over a base layer.

fine well below zero for me, but i'm fairly cold tolerant.

my commute is so short that most of the time rain or not i don't bother with a coat, tshirt/trousers
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,946
    Thankyou for ALL of those useful replies gentlemen, plenty for me to get researching there, and good to get multiple suggestions/approaches.

Not the first time I have read good reviews of the Phantom either!

Cheers

Dan
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    Went all winter just gone with a base layer and a long sleeve running shirt.

Winter before, I may have used a night vision wind proof or water proof on occasion combined with a base layer and never been cold, it's always my feet that suffer.
  • nation
    nation Posts: 609
    I don't, generally, but my commute is only like seven miles and I deal much better with the cold than with being overheated.

I usually ride using a long sleeve merino baselayer as a jersey. In sunshiney weather I'll swap that for a short sleeve lycra jersey. If it's particularly cold (especially if it's windy and/or drizzly) I add an altura windproof gilet which is basically just a water/windproof layer over the torso and a mesh back.

If it's very cold (snow/ice) and dry I usually just stick a hoodie over the base layer.

I have an Altura Nevis but I tend not to use it unless it is absolutely soak-you-to-the-skin heaving it down. Pulled it out for the first time this year last week for the thunderstorms.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Gore Phantom in the winter, with baselayer; Gore Phantom without the sleeves, but with LS or SS baselayer if early spring or autumnal (although if the temp fluctuates by the day, I'll wear arm-warmers instead of the sleeves because I can't be bothered to re-attach the sleeves); no jacket in the summer or if warm.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    All year; 1 jacket ; DHB *something* jacket.....I think it was in the sale for £40. Waterproof, windproof, black with 'night vision', arm pit zips and rear pockets + sweat liner.

All I have needed so far was a base layer for winter and a jersey underneath.

However, I hear that the gore stuff is best, but on a budget or if you are prone to falling off, then I would go DHB @ Wiggle.
  • Only been commuting for the last 4 or 5 months but have just used a cheap technical type T-Shirt and a pair of shorts. I don't tend to feel the cold unless stuck at lights for a very long time and if its a bit nippy then I just pedal a bit faster to warm up.

Less clothes mean less drying time!
    One for the road.....
    The beer not the bike!
    FCN 11

http://app.strava.com/athletes/399251
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    I have this DHB Sync jacket;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/dhb-sync-waterproof-jacket/

Like the guy earier it has armpit zips, is waterproof etc etc but i sweat like a mofo with it on. Also the hood is a pain as it doesn't roll up into the collar (which would be better) so it flaps about and is annoying.

I'm now using a some shell suit short sleeve that i bought 10 years ago to wear clubbing. Its not waterproof but dries quick after any rain and keeps me a nice temperature so i better (although i do look like a throw back from Human Traffic!)

At the weekend i bought this from wiggle;

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/sportful-reflex-2-windproof-cycling-gilet/

£20, windproof and water repellent which should be even better.
  • u33db
    u33db Posts: 68
    I got that Gillet yesterday.

First impressions were that its very thin...similar kind of material as a tent fly sheet and there is mesh side panels.

I tried it out this morning though and it works well....surprisingly it is quite warm and what with the mesh/no arms you don't sweat much (well except on my back but thats because i wear a rucksuck).

Worth the money imo.

I've also started just wearing my Altura Attack waterproof shorts by themselves as oppossed to using them as overshorts...much better for coolness etc as well.
  • No jacket necessary at the moment, but have a Gore Alp-X SO for Autumn/Spring and an Altura Night Vision when it gets really cold and wet.
    2007 Felt Q720 (the ratbike)
    2012 Cube Ltd SL (the hardtail XC 26er)
    2014 Lapierre Zesty TR 329 (the full-sus 29er)
  • king_jeffers
    king_jeffers Posts: 694
    I was thinking about : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PEARL-IZUMI-F ... 519cca36f1

Or this : http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-transfor ... ng-jacket/

Love looking at jackets at this time of year :lol: