Serious problem with my tyre!

GSJ
GSJ Posts: 150
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I got a flat inner tube on my front tyre, and I've taken the inner tube out and everything followed the normal procedures, however. When I place the new tube onto the rim and tuck the tyre in it's slightly up from where the valve is. I've taken some pictures so you know what I'm talking about. I've tried about 6 times taken the inner tube out, pumped it more pumped it less and it's doing the same thing. My palms are sore, my fingers are bleeding! I can't figure out why it's doing it (This is my first tyre change)
imag0056xy.jpg
imag0055u.jpg

Comments

• dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    It may sound silly but... Have you taken the nut of the valve, it should just unscrew, before fitting the inner tube?

Can't really see from the picture.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Pump it up a little bit, then push the valve stem in and out a few times - you've probably got a bit of tube caught up in there and flexing the valve in and out should free it up
  • GSJ
    GSJ Posts: 150
    It may sound silly but... Have you taken the nut of the valve, it should just unscrew, before fitting the inner tube?

Can't really see from the picture.

Yeah the nut has been taken off.
  • redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    Hoopdriver wrote:
    Pump it up a little bit, then push the valve stem in and out a few times - you've probably got a bit of tube caught up in there and flexing the valve in and out should free it up

^^^^^^ This, push the tube into the tyre then push the tyre into the rim and inflate and check again.
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    ^^ Agreed, but you should try to find the nut to put back onto the valve stem as well....
  • shouldbeinbed
    shouldbeinbed Posts: 2,660
    start with the valve stem almost entirely inside the rim, not poking out as far you have got it. that valve area is a thicker that the rest of the tube, take it out and have a feel of the tube, its less flexible and less likely to to fit snugly inside the tyre bead than the rest of the innertube. you need to be sure the tyre is over it and then jiggle it onto the rim properly. side to side and slide the tyre slightly around the rim to ensure a good seat. make sure that the valve stem still comes out of the hole straight though once you've jiggled the tyre on.

problems if you don't get it right: You risk trapping the tube between the tyre and the rim if you leave it like that, it'll be guaranteed to puncture and will most likely look like a snakebite with 2 v close together holes - this can happen anywhere round the rim and tube though, you need to be careful with the whole tyre circumference not to trap a bit of innertube, this is why thumbs are better than levers for installing tyres. Worst case, the tyre won't be seated properly onto the rim bead and could blow off in quite a spectacular fashion.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Singleton wrote:
    ^^ Agreed, but you should try to find the nut to put back onto the valve stem as well....
    Agreed. You need to find it to chuck it in the bin so that it doesn't get in the vacuum cleaner.

Valve nuts have no use or place on a nice bike. It's even mentioned in The Rules I believe.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Easy peasy http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZpYAM1GulM
    Well, just take you time and yes using plastic levers aint a crime..

By the way the tyre in the vid has been off and on a few times.. hence its ease on going back on...however as all you are doing is pinching the tube, just a bit of patience is required....
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    CiB wrote:
    Valve nuts have no use or place on a nice bike. It's even mentioned in The Rules I believe.

Which is as good a reason as any to make sure you have the valve nuts on :wink:
    Faster than a tent.......