How do i know of i've got the correct bike size?

elduderinoo
elduderinoo Posts: 17
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi,

I've recently just purchased my first ever road bike. A Trek Madone. I'm 5"9 (177cm) and the guys in the bike shop recommended a 54 frame for me. Not knowing anything about bikes I accepted their advice and after a quick test ride I purchased the bike. I've since found out that road bike sizing is quite complex.

The bike feels quite good (i'm just nervous on it - the tyres are so thin I keep expecting them to come out from under me) when I'm riding it but I have a niggle that I'm worried are down to having the wrong size bike. After half an hour or so on the bike on the hoods I find the palms of my hands (the fleshy area next to the thumb) begin to ache. I don't know if this is down to they way i'm gripping or the way the bike is set up or the size. On my right hand for example my thumb goes around the left of the hood and my first two fingers wrap around the brakes....forming almost a ring between my thumb and first finger. Is this correct?

I'm worried that this problem is down to incorrect sizing. My measurements are as follows:

Inseam: 80
Trunk: 70
Forearm: 33
Arm: 63
Thigh: 58.5
Lower Leg: 58.5
Sternal Notch: 143
Total Body Height: 177

...and http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ recommend the following sizing (this doesn't mean a lot to me):

Seat tube range c-c: 51.8 - 52.3
Seat tube range c-t: 53.4 - 53.9
Top tube length: 56.4 - 56.8
Stem Length: 11.2 - 11.8
BB-Saddle Position: 78.3 - 80.3
Saddle-Handlebar: 53.0 - 53.6
Saddle Setback: 1.8 - 2.2

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    If you bought a bike recently from a local bike shop then the first port of call should be with the shop that sold you the bike.

When you bought the bike did you sit on it in the shop on a static turbo training with the shop assistant watching how you pedalled and how your body sat on the bike? Or did they just look you over and then tell you the size you needed?

You are right, bike fit is complex and can only be achieved with someone watching you pedal the bike whilst on a static trainer. If it doesn't feel right and you can afford it, I would recommend a professional bike fit. If you tell us roughly where you live then people on here may give you the names of some good professional bike fit companies.
  • BelgianBeerGeek
    BelgianBeerGeek Posts: 5,226
    When your hands are in the position you describe, how are your arms? If you are really stretching, then you may have a bike too big. If your elbows are really tucked in, then your bike maybe too small. Where you are there is probably the place you will spend most of your time on a ride, so this is very important. Also, if you are unused to road bikes, then you do have to get used to the weight being on your palms/wrists (you don't say how heavy you are!).
    IMO for your size it doesn't sound as if the bike is wrong, but sizes and geometry vary a lot from one manufacturer to another (eg Trek sizing maybe different from Bianchi).
    Also dont forget that there are lots of smaller adjustments you can make - a shorter/longer stem for instance, padded gloves, or greater padding under the bar tape.
    But, as said above, if you're not happy, go back to the shop. Once you get your position set up right, the world's your oyster!
    Ecrasez l’infame
  • Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies:

@Gizmodo: The shop assistant just looked me over - I brought it from Evans - which i'm now regretting. Wish I'd known i'd be better off going to a proper bike shop. I live in Lewisham, London. I've already been looking in to bike fitting...found these guys, which seem quite pricey: www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/ . I would really appreciate any recommendations.

@belgianbeergeek: my arms are bent a bit...but not much....I think if anything they could bent a bit more, which is know id contrary to my thinking the bike is too small. I weigh 78.8kg (12stone2ish). So when riding a road bike there is more pressure on the hands? I think you could be right here....perhaps my problem is a combination of getting used to the bike and also a few adjustments needing to be made.

I'm going to look in to getting a fitting done.....any suggestions for a good fitter in London please do send on.

Thanks
  • xpc316e
    xpc316e Posts: 43
    There is a lot of adjustability built into a bike with extra easily purchased via different stems and seat posts. I'd say that you have bought a bike of the correct size, though it may take you a while to get it sorted so that it fits you and you fit it.

The first thing to get right is your seat position/height - then you can think about different stems and 'bars to suit. It does sound as though you have too much weight on the hands, so try seeing whether you can flip the stem over, or put some spacers under the stem to raise the 'bars a little.
    Riding a Dahon Jetstream P9 folder, a Decathlon Fitness 3 flat-barred road bike, a Claud Butler Cape Wrath MTB, a TW 'Bents recumbent trike, a Moulton-based tandem, and a Scott CR1 Comp road bike.
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    If it's your first road bike you'll have to give you're body time to settle in, it's bending and stretching differently than before.
    I'm 5' 9.5" and i use 53 -54 top tube frames, we're all different sizes but i'd have thought that it's the right size and it'll probably just need a bit of tweeking to suit.
  • xpc316e wrote:
    There is a lot of adjustability built into a bike with extra easily purchased via different stems and seat posts. I'd say that you have bought a bike of the correct size, though it may take you a while to get it sorted so that it fits you and you fit it.

The first thing to get right is your seat position/height - then you can think about different stems and 'bars to suit. It does sound as though you have too much weight on the hands, so try seeing whether you can flip the stem over, or put some spacers under the stem to raise the 'bars a little.

Hi xpc316e,

That's reassuring thanks. I have been looking in to seat position/height today....one thing I've already done is set the position of the seat so that it's level....before it was leaning down at the front....which was probably a contributory factor to the weight on my hands. Not sure how to raise the height though....i'm reading about the 109% rule.

I might try flipping the stem over....sounds like a bit of an involved job to me....so might leave it until I get a fitting by a pro

Thanks
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    I'm 5ft 9 and have a 29" leg as I've got a long body and ride a 54cm frame with no real problems
  • izzy Eviel
    izzy Eviel Posts: 48
    i'm 5'9 and ride a 54cm frame.

Are you wearing cycling gloves? If not that's why you're getting aches in your hands.
  • father_jack
    father_jack Posts: 3,509
    bike sounds about right, I ride 54cm frame and similar right give or take 1". Only thing I found was stock 12cm stem was too long, changed to 10cm and much better fit.
    Say... That's a nice bike..
    Trax T700 with Lew Racing Pro VT-1 ;-)
  • indjke
    indjke Posts: 85
    Bozman wrote:
    If it's your first road bike you'll have to give you're body time to settle in, it's bending and stretching differently than before.
    I'm 5' 9.5" and i use 53 -54 top tube frames, we're all different sizes but i'd have thought that it's the right size and it'll probably just need a bit of tweeking to suit.
    Having the same height and frame size, I totally agree :!:
    Boardman Team C / 105 / Fulcrum Racing 3
  • Swos
    Swos Posts: 27
    izzy Eviel wrote:
    i'm 5'9 and ride a 54cm frame.

Are you wearing cycling gloves? If not that's why you're getting aches in your hands.
    I find the opposite if I wear my cycle gloves my hands ache but if I don't wear gloves I get no hand aches. I suspect it's because my gloves are mtb gloves and are probably padded in the wrong places.
  • Hi guys,

Many thanks for all the replies....I feel sure now that I've got the correct size. I've since made some adjustments to the seat height and angle and that has helped quite a bit. I think, as some have said, that some of the pain in my hands is due to getting used to the new position.

I've got myself a spot booked with the http://www.thebikewhisperer.co.uk/ in July so I can get this bike setup by someone that knows their stuff.

Thanks