Treat due - ASSOS or RAPHA (worth it?)

velohutts
velohutts Posts: 288
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I am due a treat to self soon as opposed to a required and normal purchase !!!

I have been converted to Assos shorts and use them all the time now , never would have believed the difference or that I would spend that on shorts.

The question is re tops , I tend to use castelli tops and would like to know if Assos or Rapha are worth the difference in cost or are they a way of treating yourself.......

Having been converted to the shorts is it worth having a long term strategy to fill the wardrobe via parcels delivered elsewhere and stored in the garage for a bit.

That in itself leads to the which brand to go for re treating myself and recommendations ?

The future Mrs VH has not been subject of this pending requirement until a decision is finalised and a strategy of cost vs value has been decided on, this will then lead to a balanced and succesful discussion on the subject.
(I base this on mainly I cycled to the jewellers to collect & pay for the wedding rings)

Thanks in advance , VH.
Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    I wear rapha and have tried on Assos.

I found very little to chose from re-performance / fit, so I ended up going for rapha since I preferred the styling - I'm also a fan of the wool blend they use - which might not be for everyone.
  • Ben6899
    Ben6899 Posts: 9,686
    I would try some on and buy what fits you best... other brands also produce big-ticket jerseys and jackets, if you're really looking for a lifetime purchase.
    Ben

Bikes: Donhou DSS4 Custom | Condor Italia RC | Gios Megalite | Dolan Preffisio | Giant Bowery '76
    Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ben_h_ppcc/
    Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/143173475@N05/
  • kevess
    kevess Posts: 186
    I'm with RC on styling and wool blend with Rapha.

Plus I've just recieved back my black "country jersey" after repair, Rapha repair free any jersey damaged in a spill and I must admit they've done a damn good job. :)
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    Another vote for Rapha jerseys.

When it comes to shorts I prefer Assos
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Just to concur - Assos shorts, Rapha jerseys.

The jerseys are premium luxury when used in conjunction with the merino base layers. (Buy as a bundle to be pretend value for money :shock: but worthwhile)

At sale prices if at all possible! :wink:
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Canny Jock
    Canny Jock Posts: 1,051
    I wouldn't swap my Rapha shorts for anything, but am quite happy with Torm jerseys.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Canny Jock wrote:
    I wouldn't swap my Rapha shorts for anything, but am quite happy with Torm jerseys.
    Personal choice for all. Rapha shorts are good no doubt but in a straight choice it is Assos - For me.
    Good shout on Torm. I would say the Rapha are a touch better though. There is not much difference in quality but there is in price.
    If on a budget - go for Torm. If you can afford the splurge go for Rapha. You won't regret either.
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.