New member from the FOD

richie wake
richie wake Posts: 49
edited June 2012 in MTB beginners
Thought i better say hi before posting , i want to start of mountain biking, i live right in the forest of dean so have a good location for it.Now just need to find a good spec bike at a cheap price :roll: . Im not going to be doing anything crazy, well not for now but im sick of buying cheap bikes where the peddal falls of.

Comments

• Squarepants
    Squarepants Posts: 1,019
    Thought i better say hi before posting

Irony!

Got a great location there dude and plenty of riding choice be it XC, downhill and all in between. What's your budget and what sort of riding do you think you'll be doing (if any thoughts yet - I know I didn't have a clue when I started)
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
    It's not that I'm over over biked, my bike is under personed...
  • ridding wise have young kids , so want to bring them of on gentle stuff, but got this feeling of just wanting to go out and slowly build up to doing some of the more fun trails, but not as fast a they do on youtube.
    budget was looking in bike shops at up to 400, but alot less would be nice.
    what you think of this? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... _633wt_932
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437

No.

Have a look at Halfords range between £300 - £400 (Carrera/Voodoo)

Also, search this forum (particularly MTB Buying Advice) and look for people asking the same question. There are countless threads with people looking for a starter bike around the same budget with some excellent responses and discussion about the best options. Have a read and you will know what's worth buying and what isn't.
  • ok thanks will have a look
  • Squarepants
    How tall are you?
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    it won't help you with your post, but i rode the verders trail last night, great trail :D
  • How tall are you?
    172 cm 5ft8 short leg 30-31 think
  • Squarepants
    Ah ok, one of the boys is selling a Fury but it's a large frame. Not suitable really.
    Cube Hanzz Pro FR
  • Ah ok, one of the boys is selling a Fury but it's a large frame. Not suitable really.

ok no probs, what you think of this LBS has one Felt Q Hard Tail Q220 2012
  • Would probably be better off with the bantu or a carrera from halfords.
  • Its doing my head in now , to many to chose from . think i will have to start on the fosters
  • Right semi decided Carrera Vulcan or voodoo ? anyone know any discount codes for halfords ?
    vulcan looks like its better as having hydraulic forks not air?
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Right semi decided Carrera Vulcan or voodoo ? anyone know any discount codes for halfords ?
    vulcan looks like its better as having hydraulic forks not air?

i think you may be getting confused. you have coil or air forks - i have a pair of both.

you have hydraulic brakes though. could you post up links to teh 2 bikes?
  • The vulcan has a coil sprung fork with hydraulic damping where as the bantu has an air sprung fork and hyraulic dmaping.
    Bike radar really liked the vulcan http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-12-45673
  • The vulcan has a coil sprung fork with hydraulic damping where as the bantu has an air sprung fork and hyraulic dmaping.
    Bike radar really liked the vulcan http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... n-12-45673
    thanks for the link, think it will have to be a vulcan. Just have to work out how to steal the credit card out the wife's purse