It's the eighth of June

Peddle Up!
Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
It's the eighth of June

I've just been out for a ride in full winter clobber.

I'm not given to wild outbursts of hyperbole, but

WTF!
Purveyor of "up" :)

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Yep, sh*te isn't it !!!

I'm planning on winter longs, merino base layer, jacket and overshoes for Saturday night's ride, if the weather doesn't improve !!
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • MaxwellBygraves
    MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
    I have the day off work today so I'm grateful I don't have to cycle in in this !
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • jmcc500
    jmcc500 Posts: 33
    I was in my usual shorts though did do up my jacket. Was worried that that in itself was a contravention of Rule #5.

After a 30mph headwind coming to work I am definitely looking forward to a tail wind home. Not sure whether to switch on Strava or not - seems a bit like cheating! :)
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    Monthly outlook on the BBC website predicts rain and general nastiness for the rest of the month... Better get used to it, I think we had summer last week...
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Weathers good in Greece, Spain, Portugal and Italy at the moment and I hear you can get/or buy cheap digs as well. No day time temperatures under 25C with that strange thing that Venus traveled across the other day showing most of the time.
    What am I doing here :?: I'm Retired :!: oh yes I remember :cry: just coming dear :shock:
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    Monthly outlook on the BBC website predicts rain and general nastiness for the rest of the month... Better get used to

Met Office is rather more optimistic; nevertheless I`m probably not bothering with an early evening ride today as it is +9c, windy and damp. Roll on October when we`ll get the Indian Summer :D:D

UK Outlook for Wednesday 13 Jun 2012 to Friday 22 Jun 2012:

Unsettled conditions are likely to continue, giving a mixture of bright spells and showers with some more persistent outbreaks of rain at times. Some of the showers are likely to be heavy with hail and thunder possible, especially towards southern and southeastern areas. Winds will generally be light to moderate but there is a risk of strong winds towards the southwest towards the end of next week. After next weekend there is a slightly increased chance of more settled conditions with the focus of the unsettled weather shifting towards the north, while the south and west could have lengthier dry and bright spells. Temperatures generally slightly below average at first, perhaps recovering to near average, or even rather warm in the southeast later.

UK Outlook for Saturday 23 Jun 2012 to Saturday 7 Jul 2012:

There are no strong signals for any specific weather type to dominate this period. However there is a possibility of slightly more settled conditions than of late, particularly in southern and perhaps eastern areas, with rainfall around or slightly below average. Into the start of July there is a weak signal for slightly wetter than average conditions in the northwest. Temperatures remaining around average throughout.
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    That reminded me of the clipping that Bill Bryson describes in "Notes from a Small Island".

"...a weather forecast from the 'Western Daily Mail and it says, in toto: 'Outlook: Dry and warm, but cooler with some rain.'

There you have in a single pithy sentence the English weather captured to perfection: dry but rainy with some warm/cool spells. The Western Daily Mail could run that forecast every day - for all I know, it may - and scarcely ever be wrong."
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    There you have in a single pithy sentence the English weather captured to perfection: dry but rainy with some warm/cool spells. The Western Daily Mail could run that forecast every day - for all I know, it may - and scarcely ever be wrong."[/i]

You lucky people, be thankful your not getting Scottish weather. When Noah came here spouting all that rubbish about 40 days and nights of rain, we just fell about laughing.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    Mrs Tank went golfing today, looked like she was dressed to skipper a northsea trawler. :lol:
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    its actually the 9th and its still raining.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    It's dark aswell and I don't have lights on my bike atm.
  • Ron Stuart
    Peddle Up! wrote:
    There you have in a single pithy sentence the English weather captured to perfection: dry but rainy with some warm/cool spells. The Western Daily Mail could run that forecast every day - for all I know, it may - and scarcely ever be wrong."[/i]

You lucky people, be thankful your not getting Scottish weather. When Noah came here spouting all that rubbish about 40 days and nights of rain, we just fell about laughing.

That's just the problem we are getting Scottish weather at the moment and if it wasn't for Scottish weather and the lack of daylight in winter and warmth I frankly would be living in Perthshire, especially after it gets the monkey of it's back. :wink:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    Sun's out here, although it is a tad cool and I rode to work in a pullover. Could now go one of two ways - (1) stays like this and warms up or (2) stays cool, sun goes in and it buckets down all afternoon....

Still, at least the high wind has subsided a bit; there were a fair few bits of tree in the road on the way home yesterday.

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • alanp23
    alanp23 Posts: 696
    Still raining and cold in Yorkshire... But at least I am not living in Aberistwyth... :shock:

Might go out in full winter kit with winter bike later. Was hoping to go over Snake Pass tomorrow, but I need to check that it is open. :?
    Top Ten finisher - PTP Tour of Britain 2016
  • kev77
    kev77 Posts: 433
    Pissing down in cheshire!

Sick to the back teeth of it!
  • cycologist
    cycologist Posts: 721
    alanp23 wrote:
    Still raining and cold in Yorkshire.. Was hoping to go over Snake Pass tomorrow, but I need to check that it is open. :?

So, was it open ? Or have I missed this years window ?
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I've had enough now... 25th of May was like this: http://youtu.be/GCtHmrDU8YE?hd=1 I want it back.

Now.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • pinno
    Its the 11th of June. Two strange men walked into my garden sat down and started smoking joints and drinking ! No joke. Never seen them before. Hey, - this aint Moss Side you know, its a quiet place, everybody knows everybody, unfortunately.

Phoned the police, they are now gone. I think its a couple of Welshmen who washed up on the shore. Bet they don't even know they are'nt in Wales anymore, feel asleep drunk, got washed out to sea and ended up in Scotland.
    (This thread is weather related, don't have a go at me).
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Its the 11th of June. Two strange men walked into my garden sat down and started smoking joints and drinking ! No joke. Never seen them before.

That's what you get for opening up your garden for camping and inviting strange blokes :wink:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    Its the 11th of June. Two strange men walked into my garden sat down and started smoking joints and drinking ! No joke. Never seen them before.

That's what you get for opening up your garden for camping and inviting strange blokes :wink:

There's no need for that. I felt for LL, but he has'nt taken up the offer.
    You can't post here, I bet you are in blazing sunshine.

Anyway, I could do with a babysitter and I really could do with having an excuse to ward off the dodgy relatives.

Any advice would be deeply appreciated.
  • team47b
    team47b Posts: 6,425
    Fair point.

Feeling bad at trying to join in on a bad weather thread. :oops:
    my isetta is a 300cc bike
  • pinno
    team47b wrote:
    Fair point.

Feeling bad at trying to join in on a bad weather thread. :oops:

I didn't make a heartless quip about rain and floods considering that I remembered that it wasn't too long ago that Portugal had bad floods too so. A moment of maturity from me, phew ! It does not happen very often.

Back to the silly stuff... Bloody hell, its the 12th of June and its brrrr ccchilly.
  • Ron Stuart
    Had a ride up to the Cheshire Ice Cream Farm yesterday and met a guy going in my direction cycling in full winter kit jacket, bib-longs and winter overshoes. I comment on his kit and the month of the year and he replied that he was feeling a bit warm when on the few occasions the sun came out. I said that wouldn't be much of a problem today :shock:
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    cycled in yesterday in shorts, T-shirt and Gore jacket, thats all. On the train home a cyclist gets on in full tights, gloves, rain jacket the works... it's not that bad..

anyway Sunshine on Leith this morning - off to the Castle for the Olympic torch event tonight.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    4 degrees this morning and full winter gear :evil:
    I managed to get away with not using the skull cap (bald pate) but this is getting bleeding rediculous!
    I was wearing the same gear for my morning commute in January :shock:

Current temp at 09:42 - 10 degrees with windchill taking it down to 6. Bring summer back!
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Ron Stuart
    17th February 2012 Alto do Malhao, Algarve 45 minutes in front of Riche Porte

428322_10150733817699524_285572134_n.jpg

Seems a long time ago 8)