Skittish Tyres

dork_knight
dork_knight Posts: 405
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hello All,

This week I changed from Butyl Inner Tubes with Bontrager R2 Tyres to Latex Inner Tubes with Vittoria Rubino Pro Tyres.

I'm 13.8 Stone and the front tyre is at 100 PSI and the rear 120 PSI, the Bontrager R2s were run at around 90/100 PSI.

Instantly the ride felt so much better, it seemed to roll so much smoother and a little faster.... perhaps a placebo effect of the change, who knows.

Anyway, the ride is great until I hit rough tarmac (which there's a lot of it in my area), so much so I thought the rear tyre had blown once or twice and actually stopped to check ~ The other thing is that the rear feels really skittish at times, a little scary at speed to be honest.

I thought I would post on here to ask people with experience of such a setups;
Is this a trait of Latex Inner Tubes and/or Vittoria Rubino Pro,
Perhaps I have pumped too much damned air into the rear tyre,
Is this how it is, so just get used to it

Any input/help appreciated.

Cheers,

Jason
The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Take a little air out of the tyres, see how you do.
  • Cleat Eastwood
    Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
    there was a brief chat about latex inners here

viewtopic.php?f=40042&t=12857884&p=17662838&hilit=latex#p17662838

the consensus seems to be that they need inflating more regularly, maybe the feeling is the rear tyre deflating more quickly than the butyl ones.
    The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
    momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.
  • dork_knight
    dork_knight Posts: 405
    Rick ~ I'll try dropping the pressure on the rear, probably the most obvious to be honest.

I'll have a scan of that thread now thank you Cleat.
    The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the devil's own satanic herd.