My first road bike....

JonnyJH
JonnyJH Posts: 47
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi all...
I’m very new to the world of cycling having not even ridden a bike since I got a driving licence some 10 years ago!
But after renting a room from a mate for the last 4 months who is a triathlon nut and training for the upcoming Ironman it seems the riding bug has caught and last week I cashed in my Ride2Work voucher for a shiny new Jamis Ventura Race 2012 :)
After a frustratingly busy weekend I finally managed to get out on it yesterday for two short 7 mile rides.
I made 2 realisations, firstly I have been a lazy bugger for way to many years! I might be pretty skinny (5’8” and a meagre 55kg) but I am not by any definition fit! Neither of the rides were exactly hilly, but far from flat. On both my average only just made double figures :(
My second realisation was damn my as* hurts, like REALLY hurts! Made another trip to the shop where I bought the bike today and they were very helpful. They adjusted the fit slightly and came to the conclusion the cheep standard saddle was far too narrow for me and swapped it for a wider Specialized saddle. Despite still feeling the pain from yesterday the bike instantly felt more comfortable, but I suppose the true test will be on my next ride tomorrow....

So, has anyone got any useful tips for a very unfit total beginner?

Jon

Comments

• lc1981
    lc1981 Posts: 820
    edited June 2012
    Welcome, Jon. I was in a similar position to you a few years back when I bought a mountain bike for the first time in years, and just this year got into road cycling, so I know the feeling. The good news is that since the start of the year I've made pretty good progress, just by getting out and riding. You might want to consider joining a local club. I found that, with mountain biking, partly because it was largely a solo activity for me, I often didn't have the motivation, even if I would enjoy it when I did go. The social aspect of riding with a club has provided that little extra motivation I've needed to go out for club runs on a Sunday, but has also given me a bit of purpose, which means I happily go out in the week on my own. I remember a hill hear the end of the first proper club run I went on, which felt like it was going to kill me. Now, I ride up most of it in the large chainring and wonder what all the fuss was about. That's after five months of regular riding, doing distances between 40 and 100 km once or twice a week - so nothing crazy.

On the discomfort point, I think that's something that will also improve as you get used to riding again, but you might want to think about what you're wearing? Do you have some decent padded shorts (or even better, bibshorts)?
  • mjbennett
    mjbennett Posts: 532
    Stick with it and i guarantee you will get fitter and faster. Not being heavy gives you an advantage over many beginners. You will get used to the pain in the arse, but get some good bib shorts, like assos. They are dear but over the long run (5-10years) work out cheap.
    Also, don't expect to be able to keep up with seasoned cyclists for a year or so.
    Good luck, you can do it.
    Matt
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    The main thing is to enjoy it, that way you will keep doing it and not give up in a few weeks time. Make it a social event by riding with friends or joining a club. Mix it up by going out on different routes or stopping at a cafe every now and then.

As Matt said, good quality padded shorts will help with the sore but it is something your bum will get used to.

Finally go prepared. As your rides get longer the last thing you want to do is give up half way round because of a puncture. You should take a few things with you just in case:
      a
    multi tool with screwdriver and hex keys
      tire levers
      spare inner tube
      mini pump or CO2 system
      an emergency £10 note
      a fully charged mobile phone
      a packable light rain jacket
      plenty to drink - take a sip every 20 minutes
  • JonnyJH
    JonnyJH Posts: 47
    Thanks for the replies

My mate he has made sure I haven’t walked into it “half assed” and told me all the stuff I need to wear/take so I have tools, padded shorts, proper shoes etc etc
    That would be another realisation, cycling clothes are NOT cheap :-/
    I managed to get a lot from Aldi, albeit not the best quality but it will have to do until I can afford to spend a little more next month.
    At the moment I’m just going out on my own but I want to join a club at some point in the near future. For now though I figure there is little point as I can only manage a small handful of miles before I’m done. :(
    For most of you what I call a tough work out is hardly a warm up! haha
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Get some Shimano SPD shoes, much better than trainers. You'll use them all year so get the padded ones that look like trainers, not the ones with mesh tops that keep your feet cool and let the rain in! Just use the shoes for a few months then when your bike skills have improved you can get matching pedals and cleats to clip-in.

Always wear sunglasses or clear safety glasses (3.50 for mine!). Not only do they keep the wind out of your eyes they'll stop insects and stones thrown up by cars.

Embrace the lyrca, padded shorts and the right gear are totally the way forwards! Just build up your collection when funds allow.

In the winter get some Planet-X neoprene overshoes (15 quid). Can't beat warm, dry feet :-)

Just get some miles in any enjoy it. Try to turn the cranks at least once a second for a 60rpm cadence, but the higher the better. A low cadence when pushing too big a gear will hurt your back and isn't efficient.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!