Front mech question

steelie600
steelie600 Posts: 519
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Just fitted the front mech to Ralph and Ive had a bottom swing mech turn up instead of a top swing which would be the one he needs.

Now if I take the outer ring off the crank, the mech will fit fine, etc but just looks wierd. Will this work ok like this or do I need to swap for a top swing mech??

Heres a pic so you can see what I mean
100_1703.jpg
Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    You should set the mech up as if the outer chainring was there. Looks like you can move it higher?
  • steelie600
    AHH if I did it like that sonic it wont go high enough without fouling the swing arm.

I can go a bit higher I suppose get it as far up as I can wwithout it fouling. Would this work, or would it just be best to swap the mech for the correct top swinger??
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Get the right mech. that will not work well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • steelie600
    nicklouse wrote:
    Get the right mech. that will not work well.

Cheers Nick thought that was gonna be the case tbh!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    get a double specific while you're at it.....will allow you to juggle ring sizes easier if you want to.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • steelie600
    Got an Xtr top swing on the way now.... Never mind!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph