Happy Diary

Cleat Eastwood
Cleat Eastwood Posts: 7,508
edited June 2012 in The bottom bracket
There's a few sad tales on here recently - dogs - pets - illnesses - west ham supporters etc and what's common to all is this feeling that its odd or difficult to share or open up - which is quite normal in the gayers of the communting section - but roadies are a breed apart.

So me and the munters have decided to get you to open your hearts to the joys that have graced your life by introducing you to the 'diary of happy'. Its from a book by that baldy psychologist who appears on tele every now and then - and before you start - its all based on sound scientific principle. It's based on research into how people cope with stress/loss/trauma/joy...basically life. It's key is that the act of writing triggers more long term feelings of happiness than simply talking or for that matter boozing to forget.

What is it? It's a week long diary whereby you you write down your thoughts feelings etc based around a theme. I'll post diary day one in a mo - heres what the good doc has to say...

"Instead of keeping a record of the past, this diary encourages you to write about topics that will help create a happier future. The diary should be completed on five days of the week, with each entry taking just a few moments. Maintain the diary for one week. According to scientific studies, you should quickly notice the difference in mood and happiness, changes that may persist for months. If you feel the effects wearing off, simply repeat the exercise."

I've suggested this diary to a few people and they have all seen a massive improvement in their outlook on life - it is private but obviously if you feel you'd like to share then feel free.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
DIARY DAY #1.
Thursday: Thanksgiving
There are many things in your life for which to be grateful. These might include having close friends, being in a wonderful relationship, benefiting from sacrifices that others have made for you, being part of a supportive family, and enjoying good health, a nice home, or enough food on the table. Alternatively, you might have a job that you love, have happy memories of the past, or recently have had a nice experience, such as savoring an especially lovely cup of coffee, enjoying the smile of a stranger, having your dog welcome you home, eating a great meal, or stopping to smell the flowers. Think back over the past week and list three of these things.

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
The dissenter is every human being at those moments of his life when he resigns
momentarily from the herd and thinks for himself.

Comments

• Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    I am grateful for
    1. not having the same taste in women as Cleat
    2. Having a better dentist than pinarello001
    3. Being able to enjoy cycling, rather than commuting in London

Is that the kind of thing?
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Like this?:

Saturday - Rode the bike, knackered
    Sunday - Looked after toots all day as the OH was at work, knackered
    Monday - Worked like a B@st@rd all day then looked after toots in the evening, knackered
    Tuesday - Worked like a B@st@rd all day, had a nap, still knackered
    Wednesday - Looked after toots, pulled a tooth out, stomped round my 'loop' twice, knackered
    Thursday - Hours of paperwork, p1ssing rain, laundry, cleaned Mums gaff, admitted mum into hospital (she's doing fine now), looking after toots (again), wrote in Cleats spesh diary. Broken into the Hobnobs and I won't stop till they're gone. Knackered and Fat.
    Friday - Back to the hands on stuff and then toots all evening whilst OH brings the bacon in 'cos I just keep spending it on bike bits and I will be knackered.

Next week:
    Repeat of this week except I might splash out on more bits for the winter trainer and Mum goes home - Happy, but friggin knackered.

Is that the style?? I tell you what would make me happy: If you come up here and take some of the work load off me.
    A) Bring - biscuits and Eccles cakes
    B) Bring - a blonde nympho thingy and sneak her into the shed (Claire Balding would do)
    C) Bring - a tent
    D) Bring - yer pink marigolds and cleaning stuff and if you can't get a blonde nympho thingy wear a wig, short skirt and sport some lipstick.
    Result: :D:D:D
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    1. My mum, who has cancer, saved a family friend's life with CPR on Tuesday. Which is nice.
    2. My cat who also has cancer, is responding exceptionally well to his chemo. Two tumors, 50mm dia each, have reduced in size to about 15mm each. Which is also nice.
    3. M y expenses have been paid and I landed a Mahoosive order today, which should mean £££££ commission, so the Enigma will be ordered shortly. Materialistic I know, but also nice.

FIngers crossed, the 11th will also be nice.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • CambsNewbie
    CambsNewbie Posts: 564
    1) got out on my bike Wednesday morning before working and realised how lucky I am to live in this lovely part of the country and after cycling for approx 4 mins I'm out in the countryside.

2) realised this week I work with an absolutely great bunch of people. Can't say I enjoy every aspect of my job all the time, but working with the people I do makes it more than bearable. I actually enjoy going to and being at work!!!

3) watching the pure joy on my dog's face as he threw his bowl of food all over the kitchen to get to the cheese I put at the bottom of his bowl!
  • OffTheBackAdam
    OffTheBackAdam Posts: 1,869
    Been on holiday these week, doing f-all!
    On holiday in Dubrovnic next week, soaking up the sun, local alcoholic beverages & food, swimming, relaxing, sight-seeing & a bit of wife-shagging!
    Remember that you are an Englishman and thus have won first prize in the lottery of life.
  • MattC59
    On holiday in Dubrovnic next week, soaking up the sun, local alcoholic beverages & food, swimming, relaxing, sight-seeing & a bit of wife-shagging!

Your wife, or just any old wife ?
  • lucan
    lucan Posts: 339

As my wife is there next week with her mates, could I ask you to clarify please?

She does appear to be looking forward to this holiday more than she would if I was going. :shock:
    Summer: Kuota Kebel
    Winter: GT Series3
  • Redhog14
    Redhog14 Posts: 1,377
    1 - spent last weekend wild camping with Speedybird, Christmas puppy and the Giant Reign - all of whom got a good workout on Sunday on the Southern Uplands Way
    2 - youngest Daughter (7) comes home proud of her scaby knees!
    3 - Got a good soaking on the FRB ride home lastnight having done an Arthurs Seat loop too, then couple of pints catching up with mates.
    4 - looking forward to cooking Venison steaks for Speedybird tonight and a nice bottle of wine...nom nom.
  • Gizmodo
    Gizmodo Posts: 1,928
    Perhaps if a Happy Diary is too complicated then this might be another option for cheering up your mates:

YouTube: Fosters Good Call Centre - Girls
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Wednesday: Lost my best glasses

Thursday: Waste outlet from shower sprung a leak and ruined the bathroom carpet

Today: Mrs SJ's car failed the MoT and is going to cost a fecking fortune to fix

Sorry, this just isn't working for me :(
  • MattC59
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Wednesday: Lost my best glasses

Thursday: Waste outlet from shower sprung a leak and ruined the bathroom carpet

Today: Mrs SJ's car failed the MoT and is going to cost a fecking fortune to fix

Sorry, this just isn't working for me :(

eeeerm............ you may be missing the point. Focus on th egood things, no matter how small. eg. I rediscovered Dairylea on toast today, Fantastic !!! :lol:
  • DavidBelcher
    DavidBelcher Posts: 2,684
    MattC59 wrote:

Your wife, or just any old wife ?

Some bloke off on an Eastern European jaunt who'll pork anyone's missus given the chance? Insert John Terry-based jokes here.... ;)

David
    "It is not enough merely to win; others must lose." - Gore Vidal
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    Wednesday: Find out that MattC59 is stalking me and then went out for a cracking 2 hour ride in pi55 wet rain.

Thursday: Molteni jersey arrived from Prendas. Ooh very nice (do you need the link Matt?).

Today: Post work ride planned for later and Morvelo jersey is in the process of being delivered - will have to pick which jersey to keep - Fathers Day pressie.

Outlook: Me and the Missus are going to the pictures on Monday night, first night out together since December :shock:
    Don't worry Matt, I got you a ticket too :)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • MattC59
    jordan_217 wrote:
    Wednesday: Find out that MattC59 is stalking me

I can understand why that was a high point of your week :lol:
  • jordan_217
    jordan_217 Posts: 2,580
    MattC59 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I think the discovery of your first online/forum stalker is something to be rather pleased about. (I don't get out much)
    “Training is like fighting with a gorilla. You don’t stop when you’re tired. You stop when the gorilla is tired.”
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    jordan_217 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I think the discovery of your first online/forum stalker is something to be rather pleased about. (I don't get out much)

I'm now engaged to mine thanks to The Cake Stop! Got to be the best day of my life meeting him on here.

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    Yeh! But what are the anti-depressant drug manufacturers going to do if we cheer ourselves up and what about the shrinks who's gonna feed them :?: lets be reasonable guys :)
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 52,098
    Yep, the mid-life crisis is a conspiracy between unemployed pyschiatrists and sport car manufacturers. Go on - you break the news to them that the shrinks won't get work and the sports cars makers are going to have to find other means to make a living.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
  • MattC59
    DIESELDOG wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    jordan_217 wrote:

I'm now engaged to mine thanks to The Cake Stop! Got to be the best day of my life meeting him on here.

Love n hugs

DD

Don't get any ideas Jordan !!!
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    1) the wind in your face
    2) shropshire,wildlife and nature(pretty wide scope there)
    3)The occasional day when you look in the mirror and think " hey not looking too bad son..." :D
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • Peddle Up!
    Peddle Up! Posts: 2,040
    MattC59 wrote:
    I rediscovered Dairylea on toast today, Fantastic !!! :lol:

Ye Gods! The bubbly brown blisters full of liquid cheese. {Exit stage left to grill} :P
    Purveyor of "up" :)
  • nevman
    nevman Posts: 1,611
    I get this.

Sunday-went for a long ride in the p****g rain with a mate-he said he was having a great time.Tried to catch him so I could kill him but couldnt.So that was good.
    Monday-rode back with said mate and it was sunny.He was still happy, again.
    Tuesday-unable to use legs so spent the day downstairs.Wife covered anything over ground level.Good again.

It seems to work as I feel much better now. :D
    Whats the solution? Just pedal faster you baby.

Summer B,man Team Carbon LE#222
    Winter Alan Top Cross
    All rounder Spec. Allez.