disc brakes squeeling really bad

dankay123
dankay123 Posts: 31
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
my disc brakes are squeeling really bad. i took the cover off the caliper and i have plenty of pad left. the discs seem to spin true and dont seem warped or damaged. my bike is a gt avalanche 3.0. the braking system is a tecktro on both front and rear. can anyone recommend a fix?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Have a read of the topics in th FAQs above to help you ID what type of noise it is.

And the brakes are?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • mitomaniac
    mitomaniac Posts: 117
    I have a avalanche 2.0 and I found giving the discs a really thorough clean resolved this you can either use a proper brake cleaning solution or if your too lazy to go to the shop like I was just use hot water with fairy liquid in, scrubbed them with the back of one of them sponges with the green bit, rinsed with hot water and scrubbed again then rinsed, however in honesty the discs on the bike are not that great and I will be changing them to something better as I replaced the callipers already. Normally the squeaking is because of a polish effect on the discs so the scrubbing helps solve that by roughing the surfaces up a bit and removing any muck at the same time

Hope this helps
    Dave
  • sigorman85
    sigorman85 Posts: 2,536
    oil on the discs and prob on the pads all i done when i had this was take the pads out and get some sand paper and ruber them over till the black has come off also do what mitomanic says clean the discs and they will be fine
    When i die I just hope the wife doesn't sell my stuff for what I told her I paid for it other wise someone will be getting a mega deal!!!

De rosa superking 888 di2