Dauphine 50k TT - Wiggins

kangarouge
kangarouge Posts: 210
edited June 2012 in Pro race
I've just seen Wiggo win the above. I think that's the best timetrial I have ever seen. He just seems to have destroyed the opposition. Almost catching Evans - amazing!

Has anyone seen better?

Comments

• gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    ooow you're gonna get told off for telling people who don't want to know the result but still came on a cycling pro race forum what happened!
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    totally obliterated everyone !!!
    the boys on fire, bring on TDF his 11\5 favourite now that really would be something :P
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I've seen many better and more interesting

If that helps.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • disgruntledgoat
    disgruntledgoat Posts: 8,957
    iainf72 wrote:
    I've seen many better and more interesting

If that helps.

It was no 89 TDF

Is that a spoiler?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Has anyone seen better?

Miguel Indurain in the first half of the 90s.

For example. Here's a 64km TT in the 1994 Tour de France. Those time gaps are minutes, not seconds.

mmoireducyclisme.png
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • kangarouge
    kangarouge Posts: 210
    Oops. Many apologies if it spoiled it for anyone. I don't come on the Pro cycling forum very much and it seems to show.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    +1 for Indurain ...suggest you you tube 92 tour TT in Luxembourg and watch a masterclass
  • mididoctors
    mididoctors Posts: 18,793
    putting 30 secs into Tony Martin[who was trying] or anyone else at the top of GC in this era of racing..... which I notice is much tighter these days is no mean thing

it was a hell of a ride
    "If I was a 38 year old man, I definitely wouldn't be riding a bright yellow bike with Hello Kitty disc wheels, put it that way. What we're witnessing here is the world's most high profile mid-life crisis" Afx237vi Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm
  • dave_1
    dave_1 Posts: 9,512
    I prefer Evans BUT it would be great for cycling in the UK if Wiggins won TDF! Cadel has to do a bit of what Liewe Westra tentatively showed of Wiggins climbing at Paris Nice the day before Col'D Eze MTT, which is that Wiggins cannot climb out the seat and will get dropped on steep slopes when surges go off for 50 meters at a time. It was evident in the steepest stage of the Vuelta last year too re Brad
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,788
    Much that I'd love wiggins to win, I'd also like to see some attacks in the mountains. There's nothing in the tour as steep as the Vuelta though.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Merge, merge, merge,merge!!
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    Yeah big Mig was good then, but Wiggins is now and it was awesome. Must have got the bit between his teeth when he saw Cadel ahead of him.

I don't think Wiggins will have that much of a problem in the mountains, the Vuelta proved he can do it (if he gets the gearing right) and as for Paris Nice, yes he was attacked but he just kept ploughing away.

Got to be worth £20 to win the TdF this year.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Yellow Peril
    Yellow Peril Posts: 4,466
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Has anyone seen better?

For example. Here's a 64km TT in the 1994 Tour de France. Those time gaps are minutes, not seconds.

mmoireducyclisme.png

Incrdible by Indurain, putting 5 mins in to the likes of Boardman. By the way is this the TT in that Youtube clip where Mig goes past Armstrong like he is standing still? That clip always makes me laugh and must have been the point where Armstrong decided "I'll have some of what he's on"
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    [quote=

Incrdible by Indurain, putting 5 mins in to the likes of Boardman. By the way is this the TT in that Youtube clip where Mig goes past Armstrong like he is standing still? That clip always makes me laugh and must have been the point where Armstrong decided "I'll have some of what he's on"[/quote]

+1 :D
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Has anyone seen better?

mmoireducyclisme.png

Incrdible by Indurain, putting 5 mins in to the likes of Boardman. By the way is this the TT in that Youtube clip where Mig goes past Armstrong like he is standing still? That clip always makes me laugh and must have been the point where Armstrong decided "I'll have some of what he's on"

And if Wiggins had been in that TT, he'd be somewhere around the Boardman mark. 5 mins down. The joys of EPO folks.

But taking off my cynic's hat, a quite staggering performance.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • tailwindhome
    tailwindhome Posts: 19,310
    EPO

I had a pair of Banesto shorts and wrecked my knees pushing too big a gear on the Raleigh Scorpio I bought with my first wage from my first summer job.

"Say it isn't so Mig. Say it isn't so"
    “New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!
  • turnerjohn wrote:
    [quote=

+1 :D[/quote]

I think it was the point that he though "I better go to the doctors and get my balls checked"

Although he probably also thought "I'll have some of what he's having if I survive"
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    turnerjohn wrote:
    [quote=

I think it was the point that he though "I better go to the doctors and get my balls checked"

[/quote]

Armstrong was diagnosed in October1996 - so two years after this race.
  • frenchfighter
    frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
    RichN95 wrote:
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Has anyone seen better?

mmoireducyclisme.png

tour94-tt.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • cougie wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:
    [quote=

Armstrong was diagnosed in October1996 - so two years after this race.[/quote]

Fair point, although I'm sure I read in his book that he'd not been feeling right for a LONG time before his diagnosis (hence why it was so advanced). It was possibly 2005 though.
  • timoid.
    timoid. Posts: 3,133
    Fair point, although I'm sure I read in his book that he'd not been feeling right for a LONG time before his diagnosis (hence why it was so advanced). It was possibly 2005 though.

I think this TT was before Armstrong started getting training plans from Dr F. Hence going from whupped to World beater.
    It's a little like wrestling a gorilla. You don't quit when you're tired. You quit when the gorilla is tired.
  • inkyfingers
    inkyfingers Posts: 4,400
    Not looking to defend Lance Armpit for a second, but it was also before he started riding the Tour for GC, so would he have been going full gas in the TT?

Might be rubbish, and doesn't explain how Indurain beat all those other guys though...
    "I have a lovely photo of a Camargue horse but will not post it now" (Frenchfighter - July 2013)
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That'll be the time when Armstrong went from an average-pro VO2 max pre-cancer to world-beater in a space of a couple of years - truly an physiological 'miracle'? Indurain was a monster on a TT bike and I remember the Luxemburg TT well, but it killed the Tour as a 'race' dead for anyone watching.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,455
    How quickly Chiappucci's ride to Sestriere is forgotten.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,185
    You are all such cynics. It's obvious that LA lost all that time due to wearing a casquette while Mig had an aero helmet. LA became a contender when he invested in a TT helmet!