Bottom Bracket woes

asprilla
asprilla Posts: 8,440
edited June 2012 in The workshop
Fitted a Hope bb at the weekend to replace my creaking SRAM GXP one and I'm having issues with it; it's just stiff. I'm sure it's great training but its not turning easily.

I'm hoping (see what I did there?) that ive not damaged the races somehow when fitting the GXP conversion. Anything I can try or other common issues that it might be?
Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
Sun - Cervelo R3
Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX

Comments

• turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    correct number of BB spacers ?
  • asprilla
    turnerjohn wrote:

Well, dismantled it this evening and the GXP conversion kit wasn't correctly fitted, so I think was part of the problem. However it came with 2 x 1mm spacers and I think I need a couple more as well since its a 68mm shell. Have ordered a couple more 1mm and some 2.5mm ones so I can try them out.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • turnerjohn
    Asprilla wrote:
    turnerjohn wrote:

Well, dismantled it this evening and the GXP conversion kit wasn't correctly fitted, so I think was part of the problem. However it came with 2 x 1mm spacers and I think I need a couple more as well since its a 68mm shell. Have ordered a couple more 1mm and some 2.5mm ones so I can try them out.

so 'hope'fully sorted....sorry terrible pun !
  • asprilla
    No joy. The cranks spin freely before the NDS is bolted on (but with the NDS on the spline) and its only when the last half turn of the NDS bolt that it gets all draggy. This happens with no spacers, 1mm each side and also with 2mm each side.

Only found one other instance of this on t'internet and it was partially resolved by hitting stuff randomly with a rubber mallet. Going to completely remove the GXP adapter and refit tonight.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • turnerjohn
    Asprilla wrote:
    resolved by hitting stuff randomly with a rubber mallet. .
    :D my usual last resort solution :D

hum well I'm lost...your prob right with the converter as it sounds like the gap made up of BB and spacers is to wide. You tried with no spacers at all ? would re-fit the converter, start with no spacers and work up...had that with an FSA ceramaic on my Look but that needed a spacer as there was side to side movement..1mm spacer sorted it one....some frames can be very weird...I'm blamming the French in my one !
  • asprilla
    Stripped down, spacers removed and refitted. I couldn't get both haves of the adapter out so reseated the inner half and the put the whole thing back together.

Much better.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Sun - Cervelo R3
  • turnerjohn
    most haste less speed ?...obviously wanting to get out for a ride onthe quick...done that on a number of occassions myself :shock:
    glad its sorted !