2»

Comments

• MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    Well, it wasn't Will............
    willhub wrote:
    MattC59 wrote:
    Hey Will,

I don't expect for a minute that it was, but did you report Franks other post ?

Report it? what post?
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    When things get reported by whoever, the moderators, me or someone else, has to take a view.

I wouldn't worry about it.

We only take issue with people who persistently break the rules - and usually you'll get a formal warning via the forum if the moderators think you're in danger of being banned.

In this instance, the post got flagged, I took a view that a) it wasn't necessary given the other thread on-going and b) that kind of post might put off new-comers to the forum.

If you have an issue with the way moderation occurs, it's better to post it in the 'discuss the website' section, rather than in cake stop > or discuss it with one of the other moderators.

Rick, far be it from me to suggest you might not be right about this, (obviously you are always right). However, do you not think that this type of trigger happy 'moderation' involving the deletion of entire threads by inexperienced and power intoxicated moderators could actually put off established members of the forum? Without whom, the forum would scarcely exist?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,734
    Trigger happy?

It was a new thread about an existing thread, singling out a guy who was having the p!ss taken - which was reported by someone.

When was the last time before this you noticed any moderation on cake stop? It'd be a long time ago, because it barely happens.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    P!ss taking? If the person who is alleged to be the victim in all this hasn't reported it, then surely it becomes a matter of opinion as to whether it is p!ss taking or just banter. Pretty soon we're going to need a seperate place for "p!ss taking", ooh I don't know, Front Bottom Bracket maybe?
  • jim453
    jim453 Posts: 1,360
    Rick, for future reference, and to make things easier for you I give every past, present and future member of this forum my permission to take the p@ss out of me.

Please don't ever lock or delete a thread in which I was getting a bit of a going over. I don't care, really. I suspect most people don't care as it's par for the course, don't give it if you can't take it etc.

I actually think you may (not definitely, but may) make a half decent primary school teacher. Those kids need that level of 'policing'. Of course, you'd need to get properly qualified, they don't let just anyone do it.
  • MattC59
    MattC59 Posts: 5,408
    jim453 wrote:
    Rick, for future reference, and to make things easier for you I give every past, present and future member of this forum my permission to take the p@ss out of me.

Please don't ever lock or delete a thread in which I was getting a bit of a going over.

+1
    I don't mind having the p*ss taken out of me, and if I deserve it, I don't mind people having a go at me. I shall probably give as good as I get.
    Science adjusts it’s beliefs based on what’s observed.
    Faith is the denial of observation so that Belief can be preserved
  • Frank the tank
    Frank the tank Posts: 6,553
    This thread was indeed a sincere appology for any offence I may have caused to Willhub or anyone else.

I don't feel like I've had my "wings clipped" and I would post a similar thing again.

The post contained no expletives and was just a tongue in cheek poke at Willhub along the lines of him not getting a very sympathetic ear with regards his current employment predicament.

I'll state again no offence was meant, if a friend (and I look on you lot on here as friends) said the same to me in the local it would have met with the comment from me of Fcukin' 'ell ah, thanks for that. Or sommat along them lines.
    Tail end Charlie

The above post may contain traces of sarcasm or/and bullsh*t.
  • pinno
    pinno Posts: 51,360
    This argument is running and running, like 400 laps of a velodrome. But i'll get my twopence in anyways.
    A few of you may have remembered the 'Shoot Clarkson Campaign'. The title was a metaphor for idiotic attitudes towards cyclists by car drivers and Mr Clarkson was the ideal 'dog' to use as an example of bad attitude. I tried to have a serious debate about a change in the judicial process following a fatal accident or serious injury and there were lots of good ideas flying around.
    However, there were a few twits who took it as read that I actually wanted to shoot Mr Clarkson and the personal comments that I was on the receiving end of were unbelievable. No mod ever intervened, nor did I ask for any intervention or complain for that matter.
    I say that if someone gets really personal, thats their problem because when an individual gets 'personal', they have lost the argument.
    I agree with Mr Chasey. It cannot be a free for all but there has to be an even handedness about it and consistency.
    If you were female Rick, you would find some things on here that are totally abhorrent (girls in Lycra, Girls in Short Skirts, The 'Munters' thread etc etc). Just shows you how tolerant the female sex is and that means that there is some hypocracy and perhaps double standards going on.
    On balance, willhub has had some stick but some good advice and well meaning ideas too. At the end of the day, its cake stop which has an inherent comedic and laissez faire theme to it most of the time (thank christ). If I post something, I don't always get a positive response, well, I just take it on the chin and move on. If willhub was a newbie, then I would understand that on the face of it, its tantamount to bullying, but he's an old hack on this forum and as a few suspect, I doubt it was willhub who actually put the complaint in.
    I guess (if it actually was willhub) that he's a bit sore after all the high hopes of finishing Uni and graduating, to come out into this employment environment and then get stick for complaining about it, that would be understandable.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!