Bike fitting - is it worth it?

2»

Comments

• DanSound
    DanSound Posts: 19
    I used the tri centre in Edinburgh and it was £35 and took about an hour.

Would highly recommend it.
    http://www.thetricentre.com/index-2.html

i've used the sizes from the printout on my bikes and they have made them a lot more comfortable.

cheers,
    Dan
  • The question I have is, if you know the frame size, and you adjuster your handlebars and seat to the correct position, why do you need to get a bike fitting especially if your not racing? If your a racer, I can see it, but if just for recreation?
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    How do you know your frame size?

Adjust the handlebars and seat to what?

You get my drift?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Mine was 3mm too high so coming down and back was right for me with my saddle. The difference was noticeable immediately after fitting a 1cm shorter stem as knee and shoulder pain went away.

You noticed a 3mm difference in saddle height ? I ride an average sized bike and the height from top of saddle to centre of the bb must be about 70cm or so. Or 700mm. So 3mm would be less than 1/2 a percent ? I'd have to raise or drop the saddle depending on which shorts I wore. :D
  • BruceG
    BruceG Posts: 347
    The Emperors New Clothes!
  • just go on you tube and learn how to do it yourself . and save a small fortune
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Actually 3mm might not seem a lot but it would make quite a bit of difference to how the pedal stroke feels. I'd say most people have a window of about 10mm or less of saddle height within which it's comfortable to ride for any real distance.

When talking saddles millimetres make the difference, be it height, fore/aft or tilt.

Naturally some people are more sensitive to these changes but it doesn't mean those who are able to plod on through bad saddle placement wouldn't feel the benefits when it was in the optimal position.