New Bike - Sore Knee

Cyclebeaver
Cyclebeaver Posts: 3
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Hi All, first post from a new cyclist. Picked up my first road bike this week and have been out a couple of times, which has been very enjoyable. However it has resulted in a pain to the rear of my left knee. Obviously I'm just getting used to the new bike (it's my first road bike after years of riding MTBs) and I'm going to try lowering the saddle a few mm as I think I maybe overstretching.
Is there anything else I should be trying?
Thanks.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Try lowering the saddle first.

That'd be my guess for knee pain at the back of the knee.

Also - only ever try one adjustment at a time.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If the height adjustment does not cure it you could also look at the fore/aft position of the saddle in relation to the BB.

These things are never going to be properly solved on here though and we would always recommend a bike fit.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • If you can, visit your local bike shop for a fitting.

I damaged my knee a few years ago playing rugby and a fitting with my local shop stopped me getting any pain.
  • ShutUpLegs
    ShutUpLegs Posts: 3,522
    While a lot of people wil say 'GET A BIKE FIT' as Rick said, lower the saddle 2.5 mm at a time and see how it feels. If you feel you're over-stretching you probably are.
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    Are you using 'clipless' pedals such as SPD, SPD-SL or Look? If so it is likely to be the position of the cleat attached to your shoe. Try adjusting its position inward or outward.

Saddle wise, make sure that your leg does not 'lock' straight when you are at the bottom of the crank's rotation. This will protect the joint. The easiest, cheapest and most effective way is this. When sitting on the saddle with leg extended put your heel on the pedal. That's your correct height.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try lowering the saddle first and see if it helps.

I'm using SPD-SL pedals, so I'l adjust them if required (after seeing if the lowered saddle helps)

Excuse my ignorance bit when doing the "sitting on the saddle leg extended test" do you have shoes on or off?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to try lowering the saddle first and see if it helps.

I'm using SPD-SL pedals, so I'l adjust them if required (after seeing if the lowered saddle helps)

Excuse my ignorance bit when doing the "sitting on the saddle leg extended test" do you have shoes on or off?

Erm, I've always does it shoes on.

So what they mean by that is you put the flat of your foot on the pedal and straighten your leg fully. The thinking being, once you start pedalling on the ball of your foot your leg extends enough to get the full power, but not so far that you lock you knees / have to rock your hips either side of the saddle to reach the bottom of the stroke.
  • DaveL
    DaveL Posts: 188
    Have a look here http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/articl ... ght-14608/

I've used the LeMond method, which raised my seat height by over 20mm, which has made a big difference

Dave
  • Mark Alexander
    Mark Alexander Posts: 2,277
    As far as the leg test goes, I'd recommend with shoes on simply because that's how you'll be riding.
    http://twitter.com/mgalex
    www.ogmorevalleywheelers.co.uk

10TT 24:36 25TT: 57:59 50TT: 2:08:11, 100TT: 4:30:05 12hr 204.... unfinished business
  • velohutts
    velohutts Posts: 288
    My LBS did a basic bike and cleat fit for £30 , went as a result of knee pain , now have all the measurements for any further bikes , best money spent in quite a while.
    Fortunately he is very good and knows his stuff = no more knee pain !!
    Had a slight lowering of the saddle height and slight movement of the saddle , discovered I have a slightly shorter leg from an old footballing injury and my feet point at marginally different directions.
    Good luck with your choice of fettle or bike fit , both are good ways of doing it.
    VH
    Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !