Larger chap, food before riding......

woodytitan
woodytitan Posts: 163
Hello all,

I tend to get out of a weekend early morning, i find i'm struggling for energy whiclst out for a couple hours generally covering 12-18 miles dependant on where i go, any tips for breakfast before I go out, usually have weetabix or some cereal/toast combo.

Any help appreciated.

Woody
'11 Cannondale Trail SL3

Comments

• t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    porridge = food of the gods
  • YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    woodytitan wrote:
    Hello all,

I tend to get out of a weekend early morning, i find i'm struggling for energy whiclst out for a couple hours generally covering 12-18 miles dependant on where i go, any tips for breakfast before I go out, usually have weetabix or some cereal/toast combo.

Any help appreciated.

Woody
    How long have you been riding? If you're failry new to the sport, then just give it a little time, as your fitness improves you'll find mid-ride hunger less of an issue.
    Also, there's a very good chance that that feeling of hunger is actually the early signs of dehydration. Drink loads of water while riding, and it will keep it at bay.
  • woodytitan
    Cheers for the feedback guys, i do make a point of hydrating pre and during ride as am aware of how quick i can dehydrate, I think more of the problem is i'm eating things that spike in the old energy release so porridge is a good call for slow release i believe??
    Thanks again though, still fairly new to riding only in last 12mths or so and family time restricts how much time i would actually like in the saddle!!
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • t.m.h.n.e.t
    t.m.h.n.e.t Posts: 2,265
    woodytitan wrote:
    Cheers for the feedback guys, i do make a point of hydrating pre and during ride as am aware of how quick i can dehydrate, I think more of the problem is i'm eating things that spike in the old energy release so porridge is a good call for slow release i believe??
    Thanks again though, still fairly new to riding only in last 12mths or so and family time restricts how much time i would actually like in the saddle!!

Absolutely.
  • paulmgreen
    paulmgreen Posts: 158
    Yes.... Definitely agree with all the above. I am relatively new too..... Drinking plenty of water the night before...... Porridge and whole meal toast definitely is a huuuuuge help!

I found that early doors (until I started to lose weight ) I needed a bottle of water an hour (at least ) I needed and yes .... As above it's easy to confuse dehydration with hunger!!!

100% definitely with porridge. And take a cereal bar or flapjack to eat on the first hour.....
  • woodytitan
    Cheers everyone appreciated.
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3