London to Brighton

Bikequin
Bikequin Posts: 402
edited July 2012 in Commuting chat
Anyone else taking part in the annual nodathon down to brighton?

I'm doing it with a group of mates of very varying ability on the bike and have a feeling it'll be very amusing. Is it wrong that I'm looking forward to seeing a little bit of suffering? :twisted:
You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.

Comments

• veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    If you don't start early enough you'll be suffering. The slow shuffle to get up the smallest bump is soul destroying, and that was before I started cycling regularly.
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    Amusing is not the word I'd use... Frustrating is closer to the mark. Still, it's a nice enough walk.
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    I'd do it again, but not in my carbon fibre SPD-SL road shoes, for that amount of walking, I'd go with my MTB style SPDs as they are easier to walk in.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin Posts: 231
    yeah, I am, but they have me down for a 9.30 start! I'm more of a crack of dawn kind of guy. Looking forward to the race back home more, tbh.
  • edds
    edds Posts: 156
    Yukirin wrote:
    yeah, I am, but they have me down for a 9.30 start! I'm more of a crack of dawn kind of guy. Looking forward to the race back home more, tbh.

Turn up early and go to the tent and ask for an earlier time. They can give you a sticker to put over your time with an earlier time. That is what I have did my first year. Last year I did it with some guys from work and it took us almost 7 hours to get down to brighton. Painfully slowly. Much more enjoyable 2 hour 30 ride back.
    edd
    --
    FCN 4-5; Giant SRC 3; formally known as edduddiee
  • Bikequin
    Bikequin Posts: 402
    Yep we've been allocated later start times despite asking for 6.00am - going to turn up and start at 7 though, otherwise as has been said it'll descend into a walk on the "hills".

Interesting point about road shoes that I hadn't given too much thought to, maybe a good day to switch back to my SPDs.
    You'll not see nothing like the mighty Quin.
  • veronese68
    Yes, SPDs at most. If not flats and normal shoes. Definitely try to stay ahead of the mass zombie nodderdom. If you have to ditch the slower ones, so be it. You can still watch them struggle to the finish as you are holding your nice cold beer.
  • Widgey
    Widgey Posts: 157
    Im doing it with a friend (he really wanted a challenge and nagged me as "I cycle often".. 9:30 start time so im expecting the worst :(
  • Yukirin
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, SPDs at most. If not flats and normal shoes. Definitely try to stay ahead of the mass zombie nodderdom. If you have to ditch the slower ones, so be it. You can still watch them struggle to the finish as you are holding your nice cold beer.

Hopefully I'll be fully used to my toe clips by then!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    Veronese68 wrote:
    Yes, SPDs at most.
    +1

Its funny seeing some who take it far too seriously. Aero helmets, tri-bars, the lot, but still nodding like the Churchill Dog.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    I've been up Ditchling multiple times on FNRttCs and other socials, and the thought of being unable to ride up even small climbs because of umpteen nodders on BSOs appals me. We (the FNRttC crew) did a charity ride last year in aid of the Marlets hospice in Hove, regulars acting as marshals- most of the 350 or so riders were fine, until the Beacon at least, but some were walking even fairly small inclines. The idea that people should train a bit seems to fall on deaf ears....
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011
  • My top tip (worked last year when I foolishly requested a 9-30 start): turn up early and find one of the roving start marshals who'll stamp your start card, then just head for the appropriate start. Even at 7am, if you join a queue for a new start time be ready for a hell of a wait. Leave after 7-30 and the crowd becomes similarly infernal.
    "Consider the grebe..."
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    unless you are fussed about card stamping just start when ever, its not a closed road. you've paid your money and got a ride number. I did it a few years back on a tandem with the Mrs. Most of my energy use on Ditchling was yelling "walk on the left" and "rider coming through etc". Won the £50 bet (for charity) that we couldn't cycle up it!

Too many people who have just pulled some heap out of the shed the day before and decided I can cycle 60 miles are the problem, along with trying to squeeze taht many riders down crowded london street and some fairly narrow country roads. Its still a nice day out in a chat to people and have a gentle bike ride sort of way.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • White Horse
    White Horse Posts: 161
    t4tomo wrote:
    Too many people who have just pulled some heap out of the shed the day before and decided I can cycle 60 miles are the problem, .

Or we could just celebrate and highlight the fact that the majority of them manage it and use that to demonstrate to people how easy it is to leave the car at home and cycle to work or to the shops or to their friends house or the pub, etc, etc?
  • Looks like I'll be going to this next Sunday with the Pearson crew, taking the early bird train and getting up for a 5:15 meet at Sheen :shock:

I've seen photos of how chocka it gets... I don't wanna walk up any hill!
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Last year I must have gone up the hill at about 10/11. There were lots walking on the left and many cycling slowly on the right. Was a case of cycling slowly and getting a bit more speed up when the gaps opened.

http://app.strava.com/rides/1658156#29054710
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Nice. I'd like to do the return leg but I'll see how my rsi is. Knowing me, I'll probably do it. :-s

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Yukirin
    Looks like I'll be going to this next Sunday with the Pearson crew, taking the early bird train and getting up for a 5:15 meet at Sheen :shock:

what time are you due to start from clapham?
  • il_principe
    il_principe Posts: 9,155
    t4tomo wrote:
    unless you are fussed about card stamping just start when ever, its not a closed road. /quote]

This. Srsyl, you've paid up, avoid the first few miles. If you start late then you'll walk them anyway and they are no fun.

Also, be very very wary of other people on the descents. There will be 100's of people with utterly ineffective brakes and no sense whatsoever. It's a heady mix.
  • Yukirin wrote:
    Looks like I'll be going to this next Sunday with the Pearson crew, taking the early bird train and getting up for a 5:15 meet at Sheen :shock:

I'm actually not sure but :? with a 05:15 meet I reckon 6am. I only emailed about it last night to see if I could go. Are you going early?

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Just read your above comments re times. duh.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Yukirin
    Yukirin wrote:

I'm actually not sure but :? with a 05:15 meet I reckon 6am. I only emailed about it last night to see if I could go. Are you going early?

I've booked with Mrs Yukirin a 5.30 departure time from home. About half hour from clapham, depending which roads i take. Really dont fancy a 9.30 start so wondering where is best to join the trail of early starters. Do you think its an official start you guys got?
  • okgo
    okgo Posts: 4,368
    Why do half decent riders do this?
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:

Is it not worth going at all - even early in the morning?

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • Yukirin wrote:
    Yukirin wrote:

I've booked with Mrs Yukirin a 5.30 departure time from home. About half hour from clapham, depending which roads i take. Really dont fancy a 9.30 start so wondering where is best to join the trail of early starters. Do you think its an official start you guys got?

Probably. They probably have club allocation. I'm reconsidering if it's a rubbish ride in masses.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • okgo
    okgo wrote:

Why not go and do it tomorrow morning? You'll get far more enjoyment out of it!

I did it last year, and I wasn't a bad cyclist then, but it was just terrible, people stopping all over the place. Just rather go and do a clubrun over similar or better terrain.
    Blog on my first and now second season of proper riding/racing - www.firstseasonracing.com
  • okgo wrote:
    okgo wrote:

Why not go and do it tomorrow morning? You'll get far more enjoyment out of it!

I did it last year, and I wasn't a bad cyclist then, but it was just terrible, people stopping all over the place. Just rather go and do a clubrun over similar or better terrain.

I'm away this weekend, so I was looking on the club calendar to see what was on and the RP TT is full... OK, might reconsider.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • okgo
    Don't let me put you off it, if you want to ride it with the club, then do. But don't expect it to be any better than a club-run as far as cycling is concerned.

There is also a 2nd Richmond Park TT that was almost full earlier, maybe enter that?
  • okgo wrote:
    Don't let me put you off it, if you want to ride it with the club, then do. But don't expect it to be any better than a club-run as far as cycling is concerned.

There is also a 2nd Richmond Park TT that was almost full earlier, maybe enter that?

No, tis fine. I know what I like etc, and the other morning I headed out to ride on open country miles (8 miles in got a puncture which cruelly stopped play as no repair kit - duh), and the roads were dead. Lovely. That's what it's all about :-)

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • veronese68
    If you leave early it's fine. You're ahead of the masses and don't have to stop if you don't want to. I left at 6:30 and didn't stop apart from waiting for a friend at the top of Ditchling Beacon. The roads were closed and we had plenty of room. I really enjoyed that ride. Only problem was we got to Brighton before the pubs opened. That was riding my old Marin MTB about 10 years ago.