What panniers?

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
Not one for the sweaty back posse.

Mrs EKE wants a pair of panniers and possibly a pannier rack (her bike already has a rack, but I'll have to check if it is pannier compatible).

What does the hive mind recommend and where to get them from?
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    Ortlieb Roller Classics. Apparently there are other panniers, but eventually everyone ends up with these.
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • iclestu
    iclestu Posts: 503
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Mrs EKE wants a pair of panniers and possibly a pannier rack (her bike already has a rack, but I'll have to check if it is pannier compatible).

love my altura arran's.

'mid-range' panniers that suit my needs fine, clip on and off with ease. Not officially waterproof but take them everyday on my commute an hr each way in yorkshire and yet to pull out a wet shirt.
    FCN 7: Dawes Galaxy Ultra 2012 - sofa-like comfort to eat up the miles

Reserve: 2010 Boardman CX Pro
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

How big is her current rack? Is it good nick? Any photos?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    I really like my Ortlieb Rollers:
    HGdiV.jpg

I've had them for about 6-7 years now and they're still going strong. Fully waterproof and very hard wearing. I use them for the weekly shop and the occasional tour or trip. Only one big compartment per pannier though, so that might not be what she's after. Its never bothered me though.
  • spasypaddy
    spasypaddy Posts: 5,180
    Asprilla wrote:
    Ortlieb Roller Classics. Apparently there are other panniers, but eventually everyone ends up with these.
    very good but they only have one pocket so no chance for a bit of organisation
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    I tend to agree with Asprilla. I bought the Lidl Ortlieb copies with roll top closing. The hooks were rubbish and the pannier bounced off going over a speed jump. So I bought some Ortlieb hooks to fit to them at £10 a side. Now the plastic reinforcement on the bottom of the pannier is wearing away the leg of the rack. So I will soon have to buy a new rack.
    I wish I'd paid the money and bought the Ortliebs. Depending on how much she has to carry you could buy the fronts which are smaller and cheaper but can still be used on the back. The rears might be large enough to get a bread maker in them. :wink:
  • bails87 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

Yes, yes. I think we need to know.

Eke, you know the only good pannier is a dead pannier, right?
  • richVSrich
    richVSrich Posts: 527
    bails87 wrote:

surely im not the only one who noticed this pun ??? :roll:

nice one bails!
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,770
    richVSrich wrote:
    bails87 wrote:

surely im not the only one who noticed this pun ??? :roll:

nice one bails!

Kicking myself for not noticing. Slow on the uptake as usual.
    Well done Bails.
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    can't belive how many post before the first rack jokes!

Any how Eke what is she carrying? and whats her budget?

where I was last year I used two cheap laptop panniers, not waterproof but close. and very secure, with two hooks and a strap, never managed to bounce them off, or even get them to move.

fairly cheap £15 each from Clas Ohlson, they are clearly just cheap copies of the halfords ones.

pop them off when you get to work and they are a decent laptop bag with strap etc.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Support local industry and buy Carradice - made in Lancashire. By ladies with names like Beryl. And not a machine in the Far East!

They are very good too.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • rhext
    rhext Posts: 1,639
    notsoblue wrote:
    HGdiV.jpg

I've had them for about 6-7 years now and they're still going strong. Fully waterproof and very hard wearing. I use them for the weekly shop and the occasional tour or trip. Only one big compartment per pannier though, so that might not be what she's after. Its never bothered me though.

+1. My normal recommendation is 'if they broke, I'd buy a new one the next day'. Somehow this doesn't seem applicable to these since, despite day-in-day-out usage for three years now, they're still pretty much as good as new. Somehow I'm starting to think that they're going to outlive me.
  • asprilla
    asprilla Posts: 8,440
    rhext wrote:
    notsoblue wrote:
    HGdiV.jpg

+1. My normal recommendation is 'if they broke, I'd buy a new one the next day'. Somehow this doesn't seem applicable to these since, despite day-in-day-out usage for three years now, they're still pretty much as good as new. Somehow I'm starting to think that they're going to outlive me.

That's what Ortlieb translates as..
    Mud - Genesis Vapour CCX
    Race - Fuji Norcom Straight
    Sun - Cervelo R3
    Winter / Commute - Dolan ADX
  • EKE_38BPM
    So it seems that the budget recommendation is Altura Arran and the top of the range recommendation are Ortleib Rollers.
    She's only on the bike for about 5 hours a week (if that) and isn't carrying a huge amount of heavy stuff. She doesn't ride into work if its raining (but has no problem riding home in the rain) and isn't about to set any speed records.

Her rack is a good one and can cope with the jiggling it gets when we are riding together, getting hot & sweaty, but she won't let me post any pictures.

• rubertoe
    rubertoe Posts: 3,994
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    So it seems that the budget recommendation is Altura Arran and the top of the range recommendation are Ortleib Rollers.
    She's only on the bike for about 5 hours a week (if that) and isn't carrying a huge amount of heavy stuff. She doesn't ride into work if its raining (but has no problem riding home in the rain) and isn't about to set any speed records.

Her rack is a good one and can cope with the jiggling it gets when we are riding together, getting hot & sweaty, but she won't let me post any pictures.

Dont tell her.
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got."

PX Kaffenback 2 = Work Horse
    B-Twin Alur 700 = Sundays and Hills
  • I have Ortlieb Rollers and they are great but I'd second what others have said - they aren't for everyone. They are often heralded as the default 'best' pannier, but I imagine different people want different things. Some might want more storage options, outside pockets or pouches, or maybe a more breathable / permeable material. If they are lightly loaded there is risk of things bouncing around inside, for example I wouldn't be happy putting just a laptop in one without padding it around with jumpers or something. It also has to be said there is a certain knack to closing them, that not everyone seems to have... That being said the mounting mechanism is exquisite, and if she is going to be taking them on and off the bike regularly that is a big factor, and something to look at whatever the pannier.
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

She that rough patch on the top of your head?

That's her thumbprint, that is.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • EKE_38BPM
    Greg66 wrote:
    EKE_38BPM wrote:

She that rough patch on the top of your head?

That's her thumbprint, that is.

I can't see the top of my head.

I'll post a picture of a similar one if you like:
    pannier_rack.jpeg

• redvee
    redvee Posts: 11,922
    I've been after a small, 20l bag, for a while and missed out on a pair of front Ortlieb Rollers last night for £18. To say I was a little miffed is an understatement :(
    I've added a signature to prove it is still possible.
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Tesco (there are other supermarkets) carrier bag hanging from the bars - simples!
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • fill_uk
    fill_uk Posts: 52
    I bought a pair of aldi panniers a while ago as my first set and they were pants, first one lasted a week before both clips broke, i persevered with the second using it as a single pannier for about a further four weeks or so before it gave up and the clips snapped en route to work.
    I went to Edinburgh Cycles next to work at lunch and bought a pair of their own brand revolution adventure panniers for £54 which seem a lot better quality. Only used them a few times but i'm very happy so far. They seem quite showerproof and have built in rain covers for real downpours.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I've got these: http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/carradice-ca ... prod13793/ They are good - have used them a fair bit, including on a tandem on a London to Bristol 4 day meander and they did a good job.
  • davmaggs
    davmaggs Posts: 1,008
    Vaude Aqua Plus

Just like the Ortliebs except that there is an outer pocket so that keys, repair kit and other useful stuff is to hand and not trapped in the main compartment. Today this feature really paid off as I didn't have to open the main compartment (with clothing) to dig out my office keys in the downpour.

They cost, but I really would spend the extra. If don't like them then they sell on eBay easily enough.

edit: I've tested them with weight too including 24 bottles of beer (not daily), and a heavy laptop and work stuff and no breakages.
  • essex-commuter
    essex-commuter Posts: 2,188
    I also use Ortlieb Rollers...front ones (fitted on the back of course). Can't really fault them. I use one 4 days a week and then pop the other on to transfer a weeks worth of clothes. Ortlieb's are not 'handed' so if and when one does wear out I can swap them over.
  • notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    itboffin wrote:
    Tesco (there are other supermarkets) carrier bag hanging from the bars - simples!
    I had a nasty "carrierbag-in-front-wheel" incident when I was a kid, whenever I see anyone with bags hanging from bars I shudder!