Anybody rode the Stelvio?

drummer
drummer Posts: 246
Hiya chaps,
I'm looking to do a challenge for my local hospital & this is the one I fancy!

Has anybody rode this & any insight in terms of difficulty, preparation etc??

Thanks
chris

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    It is an extremely long climb, about 20 miles from Bormio... never horribly steep, always around 7-10%. It goes up to 2770 metres and the last 7-8 Km can be quite tough, in thinner air. There is nothing similar in the UK, so preparation has to be on building power and shedding weight.

Personally I prefer the Gavia pass... very similar challenge, similar altitude but more dramatic views.

Other climbs you might want to consider are the Col Du Tourmalet in the Pyrenees (possibly even combined with the Aubisque) and Col d'Izoard (South face) and Col Du Galibier (North face) in the French Alps.
    The Mont Ventoux in Provence is another classic climb
    left the forum March 2023
  • mac111051
    mac111051 Posts: 92
    http://naturatrafoi.com/stelviobike/english/index.php
    The pass is closed one day each year and only open to cyclists
  • Brian B
    Brian B Posts: 2,071
    I have ridden it on both sides and both are equally fantastic. As mentioned above its a very long climb and the air does get thin near the top. What I do disagree on above is the gradient - it does change and there are steep sections but not for long though but enough to hurt your already tired legs. On the Bormio side it gets steep after the tunnels before the switchbacks but you get some rest on them to compensate.

Its very cold though at the top and can be snow at the side of the road in all months of the year so take a good light weight jacket, etc if you plan to stay at the top and on the descent.

I have ridden most of the other classic big climbs over the years and this one is right up there with the best of them.
    Brian B.
  • harvoir
    harvoir Posts: 58
    I rode it from both sides last year just before the Dolomiti Classic. It is a stunning ride and one you HAVE to do at least once in your life. The gradients are crazy steep but after 15km of 8% it hurts.
  • JamesB
    JamesB Posts: 1,184
    I'm looking to do a challenge for my local hospital & this is the one I fancy!

I`ve not (yet) been to Stelvio so cannot comment on the climb itself; BUT have you considered either of these 2 other worthy climbs ?

1. Cime de Bonnette---highest through tarmac road in Europe (albeit with the top loop added in) 2802 m I think

OR
    2. Pico de Veleta--highest surfaced road in Europe (except last km rough track) 3340 m approx, a nice 43 km , 2 700m ascent from near Granada. Good steady 6%

Both enter thin air territory and both are of noteworthy status :):)
  • knedlicky
    knedlicky Posts: 3,097
    I’ve ridden the Stelvio twice from the east side (from before Prad) and will be doing it again later this month, from the same side. I wouldn’t class it in the most difficult climbs based on gradient, just one has to have a good degree of the endurance because of its length.
    As mentioned already, it can be extremely cold at the top, even in July, and I’ve found long-fingered gloves an essential for the descent.
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    In case it helps, some pics and a bit of a write up of our rides over the Stelvio here...
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/bormio2008/index.htm
    I'd been wanting to do the Stelvio for years (before I got past it) and I wasn't disappointed.

I'd also take a look at day2 of that weeks rding if you'll be in the area for a few days. Bormio-Mortirolo-Gavia-Bormio. An absolutely fantastic day. Can't decide which I liked best, Gavia or the Stelvio. The Gavia feels so isolated (so quiet), but the Stelvio road from Prato allo Stelvio is the 8th wonder of the world for me.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • airwise
    airwise Posts: 248
    The. Stelvio is a lovely pass - relatively easy as the gradient is sensible the whole way up. A major annoyance for me is the endless trains of German motorcyclist tourists ruining any idea of serenity.

I personally found the Bonette utterly boring climbed from Jausiers. The Gavia is IMHO a lot tougher than the Stelvio as the gradients can be more savage climbed from the South.

The Galibier from St Michel is the most vertical gain you will do in the Alps - just over 2000m. Challenging but not too tough.

The highest paved road is the Otztal Glescherstrasse in Austria. Climbed from Oetz it is delightfully quiet compared to the others but the gradient is savage and it's a real challenge over the final 14km.

My favourite high peak is probably the Gavia then maybe the Agnel from France followed by the Grossglockner from Lienz. But you'll have fun on all - just remember that many of them are plagued by traffic in high Summer.
  • rhnb
    rhnb Posts: 324
    As an aside, there's a great short write up of an ascent/descent of the Stelvio in 1959 by Jobst Brandt...
    http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Eur ... Alps/1959/
    (scroll down the page to the section 'Towards the Stelvio').
    I think this was his first Alps tour.

And talking of the Gavia (which I'd wholeheartedly agree is a lot tougher than the Stelvio), there's this famous picture (which you can also see in the cafe at the top) of Jobst Brandt climbing it in 1978.
    http://www.trentobike.org/Countries/Eur ... 4.Best.jpg
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk
    Cycle tour reports and the home of \'Cycling Before Lycra\'
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    Just ridden the Gavia on 5th and Stelvio on 7th of this month!

Wonderful scenery, just beautiful. Start up the Stelvio at say 9am and you will avoid most of the motorbikes. Most of them are Swiss. They are usually well behaved but a few can be a bit fast and loose.

The Gavia has a short section of 1 in 9 fairly high up which hurt but it isn't hugely long. I was afraid of the 1km 1 in 8 near the top of the Stelvio but strangely it didn't seem any worse than the lower parts, maybe adrenaline from almost getting there.

Bormio is a good place to stay, it isn't just a ski resort there is a proper central bit of old town. We stayed at the Agriturismo Rini which was a) very good value for what you get b) extremely friendly c) had amazing food and wine- we booked their restaurant menu which as many local places do is a minimal choice 5-course :P for eu20 per person :D and d) had an owner who asked us on the first morning of our week holiday, whether today was when I would be going up the Stelvio? I think he asked us most days until I had actually done it :lol:

There are loads of other climbs locally, the local beer merchant (Stelvio beer lol) had a free map and "Valtellina legendary cycling" brochure which shows them all and has their profiles on the other side.
  • Deegs
    Deegs Posts: 74
    Here:

http://www.valtellina.it/eng/index.html

Sorry to start sounding like the Valtellina tourist office, but it really was a good week.