Spring Classics Sportives

Intherain
Intherain Posts: 86
Hi, I am thinking ahead to 2013 and would like to plan a trip to see one of the classics and combine with a sportive the previous day.

Has anyone got any recommendations for which one to plump for? I'm tempted by the Tour of Flanders one but would be interested to hear from anyone that has ridden any of the others.

Thanks
Yes, I like riding in the rain...

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Intherain wrote:
    Hi, I am thinking ahead to 2013 and would like to plan a trip to see one of the classics and combine with a sportive the previous day.

Has anyone got any recommendations for which one to plump for? I'm tempted by the Tour of Flanders one but would be interested to hear from anyone that has ridden any of the others.

Thanks

The Tour of Flanders is an amazing course, but too busy... 20,000 riders clog up the narrow cobbled climbs for hours.
    The Paris Roubaix organised by the Roubaix Velo club is a fantastic event, it's on this coming sunday and it's run every other year, so nothing for 2013.There is the ASO organised one, but it's not the official course, still interesting though...
    You can also try the Gent-Wevelgen, for a softer approach to the belgian cobbles.
    Never done the Tilff-Bastogne-Tilff, but there are good reports around
    left the forum March 2023
  • Intherain
    Intherain Posts: 86
    Thanks for that info, I had read that about the Flanders tour and bottlenecks on the climbs.

Not considered the LBL but will see what else I can find online.

Thanks
    Yes, I like riding in the rain...
  • ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,309
    Intherain wrote:
    Thanks for that info, I had read that about the Flanders tour and bottlenecks on the climbs.

Not considered the LBL but will see what else I can find online.

Thanks
    My advice is to enter the rvv, but ride the best bits on Friday and take Saturday as a day on the bike... The atmosphere is good. Then on Sunday you have the pro race...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Headhuunter
    Headhuunter Posts: 6,494
    I was going to ask this very question hence my other thread about the Tour of Flanders... Have done plenty of riding in the UK but don't know much about the continental European "sportives"...

So far I've heard of:
    Tour of Flanders
    Liege Bastogne Liege - is this the same as Tilff Bastogne Tilff?
    Paris Roubaix
    Marmotte - is this the same type of event as the above?

What others are there?
    Do not write below this line. Office use only.
  • 53twelve
    53twelve Posts: 22
    My advice is to enter the rvv, but ride the best bits on Friday and take Saturday as a day on the bike... The atmosphere is good. Then on Sunday you have the pro race...

Sounds a plan. I've been thinking about the Flanders ride - but am a little concerned about the queues/blockages etc on the hills. Going to need all the help I can get anyway on 20% incline cobbles, without masses of congestion !