What bike for light weight unsupported touring, LEJOG etc?

Huntos
Huntos Posts: 53
edited June 2012 in Tour & expedition
Hi guys,

I am thinking of buying a bike for unsupported touring on weekends away, cycling holidays up to a few weeks long, LEJOG etc and am unsure of exactly what to go for. I currently have a Cube road bike for general hacking about/sportives etc and previously had a Ridgeback Panorama touring bike when I had bigger plans to tour Europe. The cube isn't suited to what I want for this and the Ridgeback was good but a bit on the heavy side for what I want and I think I'd prefer something thats lighter and a bit more responsive with slightly more road bike characteristics.

I plan on carrying rear panniers and a bar bag only and keeping kit to a minimum, and would want a frame that takes mudguards. I'm thinking an Audax type bike would probably fit the bill fairly well?

I don't want to spend the earth so ideally looking in the region of £500-600 for a tidy second hand bike but could go more if I found something I really liked. Would also want at least Tiagra spec with dual leaver shifters, probably an alloy frame maybe with a carbon fork. What bikes do you guys recommend?

Comments

• mattv
    mattv Posts: 992
    Specialized tricross? Might still find a shop with a 2011 bike t £700 new. Tiagra 9speed, carbon fork, alloy frame, lifetime frame warranty.
  • Cavs
    Cavs Posts: 176
    I just completed a JOGLE on a Ridgeback Panorama you mention.

I found it perfect for lightweight unsupported touring - highly efficient machine and tough !

It'll be up for sale next week when serviced - if you're interested in another one :-)

(located in Exeter, Devon)

Otherwise good luck with your search.
  • Huntos
    What size is it?
  • Cavs
    Cavs Posts: 176
    It's a 56cm frame.

Cheers, C.
  • Huntos
    It would be too small for me anyway, I had a 56cm before and that was the reason I sold it. I'm on 60cm road bike now which I find fits me much better. Cheers though.
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Something like a Planet-X Kaffenback?

Any bike really with a reasonably sturdy frame, reasonable amount of tyre clearance, mudguard mounts, decent wheels. Tons of possibilities. If there isn't a ready-built bike that does what you want either buy a frame and build yourself or look for a supplier (like Planet-X) that builds to order.
  • Huntos
    Well i've just managed to pick up a nice Kinesis Racelight TK2 frame set with Deda Black Rain carbon forks for the grand sum of £107 off eBay - should hopefully fit the bill very nicely from what I've read in the reviews :D

The question now is what to build it up with? I want the bike to be a real versatile multi-purpose tool that I can use for hacking to work on, going out for longer weekend rides, audax and sportive events as well as light weight touring trips with minimal camping gear. With this versatility in mind should I be looking at a tripple chain set?

Also in does anyone have any suggestions in terms of wheels? Ideally I'd like one set that will do everything I want, but if necessary I might consider a second set for touring.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Well I got the Kinesis Tk built up for me as my first and only bike for year round use. (the TK2 just has a different paint job) I went for a 105 triple with 12-25 cassette. I never planned to ride it loaded, and I only weigh 65kg, so I went for RS10 wheels and 25mm Conti 4 seasons tyres. I can recommend the tyres, but you'd need beefier wheels I think

Only change has been adding a Brooks B17, which looks a bit odd and weighs a ton, but it's very comfy for me regardless of distance.

4 years on, and everything's still running sweetly
  • Huntos
    Great cheers, having owned the bike a while what do you think of it?

I've just managed to get myself a full Ultegra 6603 tripple groupset for the bike, 12-25 cassette same as yours so a pretty similar set up.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I love it. My father's day present was being left to my own devices for the day so I went out for nearly 4 hours and over 50 miles. Fresh as a daisy afterwards.

Still very happy with my choice; the only thing I'm now considering is going for shallower drop bars; I'm nearly 55 now and not as bendy as I used to be!
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    keef66 wrote:
    I love it. My father's day present was being left to my own devices for the day so I went out for nearly 4 hours and over 50 miles. Fresh as a daisy afterwards.

Still very happy with my choice; the only thing I'm now considering is going for shallower drop bars; I'm nearly 55 now and not as bendy as I used to be!
    Sounds like a great father's day.

I'm nearly 54 and have a very dodgy back. I like Nitto Noodle drops. They are old randonneuring-style drops and I find them very, very comfortable.
  • Ness1
    Ness1 Posts: 12
    I did LEJOG unsupported last year on a brand new Boardman comp spec bike. The bike ended up in the graveyard as the cable rub wore a very deep groove into the front fork. I had no brakes for most of the trip and the high lows on the gears were out, you would be better off on a bmx than a Boardman, although they look good on paper I wouldn't recommend one.

I have since purchased a Trex Lexia Sl, this has points to attach a pannier and I love riding it, will be touring unsupported again this summer.

Have a fab trip.