Anyone tried the cheap camera lenses on Ebay?

jairaj
jairaj Posts: 3,009
edited June 2012 in The hub
Has any one used the cheap camera lenses that you can get on ebay? I currently have an old Nikon Coolpix P5000 and was thinking off getting a wide angle lens for it. Just wondering what the quality will be like?

A real Nikon wide angle lens for my camera is available for around £70 while these are around £20!

I'm still at the pretty amateur stage and learning new things all the time. Absolute quality is not priority. I just want to learn the techniques and take reasonable quality photos. At this stage its more about learning the techniques and skill rather than producing the finished product.

So are they worth a go or will the quality be so bad there is no point?

ps the lenses I was looking at these:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p5197.m570.l1313&_nkw=nikon+coolpix+p5000+lenses&_sacat=See-All-Categories

Comments

• YeehaaMcgee
    YeehaaMcgee Posts: 5,740
    My father has a similar kind of thing for his old camcorder. Thing is though, the camcorder is of such low quality that any lens defects are barely noticeable.
    I'd say, if you actually want a wider angle, then just get it. It won't exactly be a Leica lens, but for £20, it's not too expensive.
    Even crap lenses can be fun for some creative photography.
  • jairaj
    jairaj Posts: 3,009
    cool thanks for that. I'll give it a go. Not the end of the world if it turns out to be crap.
  • mrfmilo
    mrfmilo Posts: 2,250
    Pretty terrible. Get bad distortion, colour fringing, glare, softness, build quality etc..

That's answering your first question, but for the sake of 20 quid you may find you enjoy it, and like you say it's not a big deal!
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    I've an Olympus DLSR and I picked up a wide angle converter for something like 20 quid. It came with a macro lens too. Both of these are many many hundreds individually for proper kit! But, for trying something new it's 100% worth it. The biggest problem I have is that when the kit lens is at full wide angle, you can actually see the edge of the new wide angle lens attached to it. So, you have to zoom in a bit so it's out of view... which kind of negates the wide angle effect :) I tend to crop the image to a panoramic aspect so the visible lens at the corners of the frame are cut out.
  • rebel_brown
    rebel_brown Posts: 126
    You get what you pay for. The quality will generally be pretty terrible and expect heavy vignetting on the wide angle, but if you buy them with this in mind then I suppose £20 isn't going to break the bank.