Boardman Pro HT 2012 help!

marc_mcq
marc_mcq Posts: 6
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hi guys, I'm new here so go easy on me!

Recently picked up a Boardman Pro HT 2012 and I was really really happy with if for a few rides. I've covered maybe 200 miles on the thing now and after my last ride i gave it a real good clean and noticed a few things that are nagging me.

Firstly, the chainset...

Its a FSA Comet BB30 and there what appears to be a lock ring or something similar loose... What is it?

Which way should this be tightened? towards the crank arm or towards the BB?

Please see attatched photo for what i mean...

photo-1.jpg

You can get about one full turn on it either way although there is no play in the crankset whatsoever.

Also, my freehub (correct me if I am using the wrong terminology) is making a not very nice noise whilst freewheeling and sometimes the chain will loose tension due to the cassette turning whilst not pedaling.

I had it back down to Halfords this evening and the "mechanic" advised me that he had checked that my pedals were tight and to see how it went. :shock: (I had problems with the build of the bike too!). :(

I have partially stripped, cleaned and regreased the bearings inside the hub but did not know how to get to the freehub bearings as they seem to be chrunching/ grinding.

Any advice on either problem?

Sorry for the essay!

Regards,

Marc.

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    http://www.fullspeedahead.com/storage/i ... 229_v1.pdf

Manual for the cranks.

Be aware of the locking grub screw. Is it missing?

Most free bodies are not serviceable.

What hub?
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • marc_mcq
    Thanks for that mate! I struggled to find anything!

Yeah, the grub screw is still there.

So would i be right in assuming that this wants to be tightened against the BB side?

They are formula disc hubs.

Here is a link to the Spec of the bike.

http://www.boardmanbikes.com/mtb/ht_pro.html

Once again, thanks for the reply!
  • marc_mcq
    Small update...

Took the rear wheel to another halfords a little further away from home to see if their mechanics were any better. There is a small glimmer of hope! They seemed more knowledgeable and agreed to take a look at the hub tomorrow. fingers crossed they just give me a new wheel!

Also spoke to my LBS to see how much it would cost to get a full stripdown and rebuild and they said that i would be looking at £50 if the freewheel needed replacing. So worst comes to worst its £50 down the shitter!
  • S-M
    S-M Posts: 174
    I have the 2011 it has now done around 2700 miles, so is quite well used.

My freehub was replaced under warrenty.
    The "lockring" on mine also came loose, its preload for the bearings IIRC
    I have been through about 5 sets of BB30 bearings now, and the fecker made some noise on the commute to work today
    My rear wheel bearings failed and were replaced under warranty, with one of the halfords supplied axle/cone kits (that turned out to be a little too short for the frame LOL)
    My pedal bearings failed really quite soon, i replaced the pedals
    2 months back my front wheel bearings failed, the cups/cones have fell apart, i replaced the axle/bearings/cones with new, the cups are damaged and will no doubt destroy the new bearings quickly enough, but i have a new hub to fit into the wheel when i get time.
    My brake levers have developed play, now they rattle and apparently need new bushes.

The bike just does not inspire me with confidence any more, its like a fecking Italian car, so i shod it with some 1.5 commute slick tyres and it is simply now used as my work commute bike, it has a pretty easy life now all things considering, it does around 20 mile per day on cycle/bridlepaths whenever i ride in.

I also have a 1998 Spesh FSR that i abuse, MANY of the parts on it are still original, it has an original square taper crank/BB that never gives me any hassle, it has XT brake levers that dont have play and rattle, i get it out, throw it down some trails, get it minging, wash the bike down, put it away, and never worry about it.

I dont like riding the Boardman to work if the roads are wet in case the BB30 needs replaced again, and i make sure my new bearing cartridges are packed full of marine grease before i fit them :lol:

A lot of lads at work all bought the Boardmans on the C2W scheme, the road bike lads never had any trouble, all the MTB ones have had BB30 hell (one even asked me today to explain how to pack new bearings with marine grease), one of them had his rear wheel bearings collapse on our last club ride, the other is on his 4th bb30 bearing set in 2 months LOL!

On its new wheels/pedals/fresh bb30, its a great bike to ride IMO, just a shame they seam so fragile.

Would i buy another? NOPE

Cant help feeling that the 2011-2012 has been a massive slap in the face for Halfords
    1999 Specialized FSR Elite MAX Backbone.
    1998 Specialized FSR Ground Control - stripped for parts.
    2011 Boardman Pro HT - SOLD! (low quality, expensive garbage)
  • marc_mcq
    Bastard.
    #All of the reveiws that i read before purchasing it said they were fantastic!

Not filled me with confidence that!

If you were to replace the BB30's bearings with better quality ones would they last longer? or is it the design which fails it?

I've gotta say though, for the first two rides it was an absolute dream! such a nice bike to ride. I love the 2x10 setup.