Fox 36 Float R - 2008 - oil change help

platini
platini Posts: 2
edited June 2012 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello,

I've got some fox float 36 R forks on a frameset I bought last year, the forks are grey think they are 2008 or 2009 - and wanted to do an oil change and seal change. 2ceg5z8.jpg

I've removed the lowers and replaced the seals - and emptied the oil (not much at all) from the legs. I've put the lowers back on and now have a fork without oil .

I now need to replace the oil but somewhat confused by the documentation I've read - some docs describe removing the damper and air spring from the top and adding some fox fluid to the top of the air side. Others fill the oil through the bottom of the stanchions.

I've also read the fox oil charts http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/Content/Service/oil_volumes.htm which confuses more, I think my forks are no.59 in the list saying something like 100ml in damper, 30ml in damper side oil bath, and 30ml in spring-side oil bath. Where is the damper side oil bath? the

Anyway, the bottom line is can someone give me some simple instructs please?! I replaced the seals, drained the oil, and now just want to put some oil back. I've NOT removed the top cap on either leg, just released the air.

thanks

Comments

• windup
    windup Posts: 9
    To do a full oil change, you need to remove the top caps.

Check the video and instructions on the fox website: http://service.foxracingshox.com/consumers/index.htm

You can alternatively just do a quick seal maintenance (which seems to be what you are doing) - the mojo website is best for this as it doesn't involve removing the topcaps: http://www.mojo.co.uk/dustwiper.html

From the instructions, it looks like you have the FIT damper cartridge? It looks like you have to disassemble this to replace the oil (100ml) - not sure I would attempt this though.

If you have fully drained the lowers, replace with 30ml in each - spring side is the leg with the air valve; damper is the other side. The top and bottom half of the spring side are separated by the air piston, so you use 5ml of float fluid in the top half and 30ml suspension fluid in the bottom (don't get the two fluids confused). The damper side is not separated, so I don't think it really matters if you add from the bottom of the legs or through the top cap.

If you just do the seal maintenance and don't drain the oil, you just need to top up with 5ml in each leg as in the mojo video.

There was no need to release the air if you weren't going to remove the airside top cap.
  • Dirtydog11
    Dirtydog11 Posts: 1,621
    There's a full service and a lower stantion service.

Ignore the bit about 100ml in damper as you have not had it apart, you have done a lower leg service so you just need to replace the oil in lower legs with recommended amounts (30ml).

All you have to do is turn fork on side and squirt 30ml of 10wt fluid though the bottom of each leg and hopefully the job's a goodin!

FYI

Air spring side is the side with the shraeder valve attached.

Damping side is the other side