RockShox Vs Fox

SpeedFræk
SpeedFræk Posts: 111
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
Hi all, I am wanting to buy a cube bike but I am unsure as to which forks are better for my riding in the mountains of Spain.

Which in your opinion is better and why? The man in my bike shop in Spain had said the RockShox were better because the controls are on the bars as with the fox its on the forks and it can move a little especially with bumps? He also mentioned that the fox were good as they had more "options" for stiffness etc.

I think the majority of the cube bikes use Fox, i.e the bikes i like use the fox float and talas, the other uses the rockshox revelation

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Depends on the exact model. It sounds like the man in the shop is talking rubbish.
  • SpeedFræk
    The models that they had in the shop that I liked were

http://www.cube.eu/en/full/pro/ams-110-pro/

http://www.cube.eu/en/full/pro/ams-130-sl/

http://www.cube.eu/en/full/pro/ams-110-race/

I like them all, but not sure which of them are better specs wise for the terrain i´ll be riding on. Also the talas seems to be more expensive than the Reba. Money isn´t an issue but I was a bit dubious in the shop hence why I am asking here, :mrgreen:

He also showed me some orbea models but they just dont seem to be up to par like the cube?
  • supersonic
    The 130 is a longer travel bike.

Out of the two 110 models, the Reba is the better fork - lighter, stiffer, better damping.
  • Thewaylander
    Thewaylander Posts: 8,594
    supersonic wrote:
    Depends on the exact model. It sounds like the man in the shop is talking rubbish.

This.
  • SpeedFræk
    supersonic wrote:
    The 130 is a longer travel bike.

Out of the two 110 models, the Reba is the better fork - lighter, stiffer, better damping.

I´m going to be doing a lot of cycling in the sierra nevada and the sierra tejeda in Andalucía. Its very rocky and dry where I live with plenty of mountains :mrgreen:
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    on the back end fox are better by a mile , when it comes to forks of equivalent price ive always found rock shox better .
    oh and avoid talas forks the action on them is terrible .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    b45her wrote:
    oh and avoid talas forks the action on them is terrible .

Really? Never used them myself, dont see the point but my mates Canyon seems alright with the talas forks, doesnt have any problems with them or keeping up.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    Rockshox rear shocks are as good as Fox, they are just less common. Not wrong about the Talas though
  • toasty
    toasty Posts: 2,598

Comparing travel adjust forks to non-travel adjust forks and missing the obvious?

I certainly wouldn't blanket say that a £300 set of Rebas are "better fork"s than a £700 Talas FIT RLC.
  • rockmonkeysc
    certainly wouldn't blanket say that a £300 set of Rebas are "better fork"s than a £700 Talas FIT RLC.

In what way is the Talas better? Its not as nicely damped as the Reba, it's less reliable & well over the double the price.
  • toasty
    Its a travel adjust fork...? If you want a bike with travel adjust, quite clearly a Talas is better?

The price is irrelevant as they're fitted to the bike already. The damping is completely a matter of opinion, I like the feeling of Rebas on racey short travel bikes, but on anything longer I've always prefered Fox.

Reliability isn't a given, I've broken FAR more sets of Rockshox forks, as have a stack of riders on here. Knackered air chambers, leaking oil, broken damping, the lot. Aside from needing an oil change, and some stanchion wear on one set, my Fox have been fine.

The Fox are quite obviously heavier, as they have 150mm stanchions, a difference of about 100g. QR Rebas are stiffer than 15mm Talas? Err, if you insist, can't say that's what I've noticed.

Am I comparing something different here? This seems really quite silly.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-fox-32-talas-150-fit-rlc-15qr-suspension-fork-11-44466
    (with no Kashima)

vs

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-rockshox-reba-rlt-12-46071
    (with internal floodgate adjustment, and a QR axle)

If I was offered the original bikes, with the aim of general trail riding. I'd have the Talas by a long shot, far more options.
  • rockmonkeysc
    The Reba's are definately a nicer fork. At 150mm with travel adjust Revelations are much better than Talas. 150mm Float & Talas forks are very flexy, Revelations are a bit flexy for me, which is why I use Lyriks.
    Travel adjust is a bit of a gimick, no one I know who has it ever actually uses it. I ride everywhere with 160mm travel with no problems.
  • toasty
    http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/category/components/forks-suspension/product/review-rockshox-revelation-rlt-dual-position-air-12-46097

Have you actually tried modern dual position Revs, or is this just because you own Rockshox? :roll: Besides, what has this got to do with anything, they don't have Revs on.

Travel adjust from 130mm works nicely, you get the option of going both ways.
  • rockmonkeysc
    Just pointing out that you can't really compare a Talas to a Reba, different forks for different jobs. I have tried dual position Revs, not great but still nicer than Talas.
    I have got Rockshox (Domain RC, Lyrik RC2DH & Tora 302) and Fox (F120RLC, 36 Vanilla RC) I wouldn't buy either of the Fox forks again. Rockshox or Marzocchi next time, maybe Bos or X-Fusion, but not Fox.
  • b45her
    b45her Posts: 147
    why would anyone want a travel adjust fork anyway?

i dont think anyone i ride with actually uses it , most use it for a little while because its a new toy .

i find moving my body about 2 inches forward has the same effect and i get to have nice feeling forks at the same time .
    ribble sportive for the black stuff

Canyon Strive AL 8.0 for the brown and green stuff.
  • toasty
    edited June 2012
    Toasty wrote:
    Comparing travel adjust forks to non-travel adjust forks and missing the obvious?

Was in reply to this sort of rubbish:
    supersonic wrote:
    the Reba is the better fork
    The Reba's are definitely a nicer fork.

Then you somehow went to:
    you can't really compare a Talas to a Reba, different forks for different jobs

:roll:

Are you replying to yourself or something? Stop doing it then?
  • toasty
    b45her wrote:

i dont think anyone i ride with actually uses it , most use it for a little while because its a new toy .

i find moving my body about 2 inches forward has the same effect and i get to have nice feeling forks at the same time .

130mm is the standard, think of it as an option to slacken the bike on downhills, or stop the front end lifting going uphill. It's obviously not a replacement for leaning forward.
  • supersonic
    Toasty wrote:

I certainly wouldn't blanket say that a £300 set of Rebas are "better fork"s than a £700 Talas FIT RLC.

Eh? I compared a Float RL to the Reba RL.
    Out of the two 110 models
  • toasty
    Eh? I compared a Float RL to the Reba RL.

Curses you did, apologies, the conversation went swiftly into a comparison with the Talas and I got a little lost :)
  • supersonic
    Hehe ;-)

Rockshox shoot themselves in the feet with their naming - there 'RL' on the Reba is a full LS compression adjustment.

Now the Talas RLC FIT - this is a nice fork, TALAS is much improved over earlier version and the FIT damper seems to be smoother than before. I think the OP needs to look at the rest of the bike and why he chose to compare a 130mm travel bike (with a 150mm fork max) to two 110mm. Maybe it is the better bet for his riding.
  • toasty
    While Fox piggyback on the naming to mean the most crude lockout known to man ;)

Did used to like my open bath Float RLs truth be known, my new Kashima Float RLC FIT forks are about a month old and they're not nearly as smooth as the RL were from the start. Much more stiction on the small stuff and hard to find the balance between being too soft, and not getting anywhere near full travel. Something I curiously didn't used to suffer.

Haven't tried the new Evo ones, are they much the same as the old open baths?
  • supersonic
    Yeah, the Evo versions are oil bath, many are saying are smoother than FIT, even with Kashima - but less controlled and more prone to dive.

Marzocchis new forks are very impressive for small bump response.
  • agg25
    agg25 Posts: 619
    b45her wrote:

I have the dual position Revelations and tested them out in Scotland last week. They work great, much easier getting uphills in 120mm mode, and as I spend a lot of my riding time down in the flat south-east it means I'm not overdoing it on the flatter trails. In 150mm swallowed up many bumps that I thought would have sent me over the bars (well on my little Cube they would have).

It's almost given me 2 bikes in one, so much so that I'm considering selling my 100mm DS Cube.

Only takes a second to click down into 120mm mode unlike the U turn ones so is a very good idea for some.
  • SpeedFræk
    Guys, I´m asking on the terms of where i´ll be riding and in Spain the terrain is very harsh especially where I live. Cube offer more bikes with fox (Float/Talas) than in Rockshoxs (Revelation/Reba) but I dont know which of these would be the better choice for me :?

Lots of great trail riding with bumpy/rocky terrain with some downhill riding on the Sierra Nevada.

Would I be ok with 130mm or 150mm?

Any help would be appreciated.

P.S I´m a girl not a guy :P
  • supersonic
    P.S I´m a girl not a guy

Not the first time I have made that mistake ;-)

Fact is all the forks here are good enough. But one of the bikes is quite a bit different to the other two, so it becomes more about the bike than the fork when comparing. As before, in 110 format the Reba is the better, if I was put on the spot.

The 150mm TALAS fork is different, longer travel and designed for slighly more challenging terrain. It seems this bike would be a good bet: heavier, but willbe more stable through the rough stuff. The rear end is 130mm - TALAS can be useful to fine tune travel/geometry.
  • toasty
    Curses, well said. I'm going to have a hard time moaning about any of that.
    SpeedFræk wrote:
    Guys,

Woah there, who said we're all guys?! :twisted:
  • SpeedFræk
    supersonic wrote:
    P.S I´m a girl not a guy

Not the first time I have made that mistake ;-)

Fact is all the forks here are good enough. But one of the bikes is quite a bit different to the other two, so it becomes more about the bike than the fork when comparing. As before, in 110 format the Reba is the better, if I was put on the spot.

The 150mm TALAS fork is different, longer travel and designed for slighly more challenging terrain. It seems this bike would be a good bet: heavier, but willbe more stable through the rough stuff. The rear end is 130mm - TALAS can be useful to fine tune travel/geometry.

Don´t worry i´ll let you off this time ha ha ha :P

I wonder if 110mm would be sufficient for me or splash out for 150mm travel? With that I can still climb no problem without difficulties? Theres lots of steep climbs where I am, hardly any flat terrain. Good workout for me. The majority of the roads are gravel/rocky too.

I liked the fact that with RockShox you could adjust the fork from on the handlebars as with fox its on the fork which I think will take some getting used to.
    Woah there, who said we're all guys?! :twisted:

Oi oi, still slip up with some of my "Scottish-ness" ok how about "everyone" is that better? :P

What can I say, I really like all of those bikes but I didn´t really find the guy in the shop very helpful.

P.S to show you guys where I am, he´s some of my photos. I love photography too.

7348309748_8776b3398d.jpg

7348310274_cf4f0f5530.jpg
  • supersonic
    Remember the frame is 130mm of travel - the fork is adjustable from 110-150mm, with a middle 130mm setting. It does seem the more flexible bike to me. Also the bar adjust is just for lockout, neither here nor there in my book.

My parents live in Antequera, can't wait to get my bike out there, the terrain looks amazing!

mt1-1.jpg

redskyatnight.jpg

Been out there twice, alas not with any bikes.
  • SpeedFræk
    Oh sweet! I live not too far from them in Benamocarra!

Yeah the terrain is absolutely a mountain bikers dream for sure, I was walking in the Sierra Tejeda and its top!

Let me know next time your out here and i´ll get a group of us together.

Your right, I´m going for the 130mm, thanks very much again for your help.
  • supersonic
    Hopefully when it cools down a bit lol. I went in July last time, hit 46 degrees, incredible heat! Yep very close, about 30 miles: small world!

Hoping to get out Sept/Oct time.