Ridgeback - Any good?

Swervin Mervin
Swervin Mervin Posts: 50
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
I'm eying up a used one of these local to me, and wondered what the concensus was? I'll mainly use it for light trails and the commute.

Anyone got any opinions on the Ridgebacks?

http://www.bikes2udirect.com/B3745.html

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Looks ok, though fairly expensive for what you are getting.
  • Really, I thought it was a decent spec?? (not that I know much!) Thanks, it felt good to ride tbh. The lad selling it has it advertised at £350 which I explained was too much. I liked it but not at that price.

Looking at the Boardman Urban Team now at Halfords.....Hmmm.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... 65499#tab3

I do like the feel of a light bike without a front suspension fork.
  • supersonic
    It's OK, but plenty of MTBs are available with 27 gears and a sus fork for that money. If it rides ok though, that is the important part. Second hand its worth £200 at most.
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    Should have kept the Vengeance.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • nicklouse wrote:
    Should have kept the Vengeance.

Nah, I'm glad I got rid. I dunno why, but I really didn't like it.

The Ridgeback I rode today was a MUCH nicer ride than the Carrera. I do however feel that whoever bought the Carrera did get a LOT of bike for the money.

I really can't get anything like it for the £250 I got for it. :cry:
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    With that heavy fork.......

Should have fitted a nice carbon fork to it.

Would have been way better.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • passout
    passout Posts: 4,425
    Ridgeback are fine. Personally I'd be looking for something used though.
    'Happiness serves hardly any other purpose than to make unhappiness possible' Marcel Proust.
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    Bikes like this are a great idea. Cheap with a rigid fork. Doing away with a sus fork means better value everywhere else generally.

Sus forks on sub £400 bikes are just a con IMO, they make the bike needlessly heavy and often hinder the ride more than help it. Go for rigid and get better value elsewhere on the bike then if you need a sus fork, upgrade to a decent one.
  • supersonic
    They are a good idea, just £100 too much in this case!
  • Twelly
    Twelly Posts: 1,437
    supersonic wrote:
    They are a good idea, just £100 too much in this case!

Agreed, closer to £300 and this bike is great value. There should be more choice in the £300 - £500 rigid MTB market though...