Confused with Fire XC choices

Shooting mike
Shooting mike Posts: 54
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
This is doing my head in..

I've been looking at pana fire xc. I realise there's cheapo wire versions and expensive folding ones.
However, when I look at different sites and different stores, there seems to be some discrepancy.

I've read that the wire bead are the cheap crap compound, are normally called just "fire xc" and have the colorful flame markings on the walls, whereas the more expensive ones are made in Japan and called the "pro" and have plain white writing.

I saw some cheap wire ones yesterday and compared to the folders they looked absolutely garbage - really poor molding, skinny despite being 2.1 and just overall cheap feeling (and they had the coloured flame decal).
However,
Some reviews online (wiggle etc.) suggest that the cheap wire versions are excellent tyres, and other sites (Evans I think) even suggest the wire version is an XC Pro and still has all the usual compounds of the more expensive versions.

So, essentially, is there a decent wire version that is just like the others but wire bead or are all the wire bead versions made in Taiwan and look crap?
I really thought after loads of research id found an all round tyre to suit me, but I really don't want to pay for expensive folding, kevlar etc..

Comments

• omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Before requesting a pricematch on this item, check if the competition is selling the true, made in JapanTop-quality 127TPI Fire XC Pro. Watch out for inferior, 66TPI Taiwan versions of this tire which are much heavier.

Use and have used both versions over the years and apart from the weight difference I can not find any difference in performance .
  • Cheers matey... Think your trying to show a hyperlink there but it's not working.. Can you tell me where that is??

Thanks.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Pay for the folding, it's worth it.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Pay for some better tyres Fire XCs are heavy and have chuff all grip!
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Both wired and folding look identical, I have both, moulding, marking etc etc, folding is usefully lighter, I find they are not brilliant in any particular condition, but work well across a wide range and are pretty quick rolling. Work better at Cannock than Nobby Nic's!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • blister pus
    blister pus Posts: 5,780
    I've used 'em on the rear as a narrow 'half way house' mud tyre during autumn winter months and got the result I wanted from them. Too narrow for my liking but the folding ASB version was a nice weight and reasonable roller, decent enough tyre if you like narrow.
  • miss notax
    miss notax Posts: 2,572
    I use these on my santa cruz - very happy with them and for general xc riding they are great :D
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take, but by the number of moments that take your breath away....

Riding a gorgeous ano orange Turner Burner!

Sponsor the CC2CC at http://www.justgiving.com/cc2cc