Sportive Using Commuting as Training

project4cycling
project4cycling Posts: 24
edited September 2012 in Sportives/audaxes/training rides
For reasons I've explained here (http://www.project4cycling.com/2012/05/you-will-never-be-as-fit-as-you-were.html) I'm going to ride the 110-mile White Rose Classic round the Yorkshire Dales in 10 days time with a little twist. I will have done 100% of my training by commuting to work.

Now, I need some advice and encouragement (and sponsorship, but that's another matter, see the link). I'm not somebody who just plods to work. I've done 21 weeks of carefully planned training, increasing load and intensity as I went. I'm as fit as I have ever been as an adult, I've built my endurance and I'm reasonably confident I can get round.

However, the furthest I have ever cycled is about 50-miles. Although a 40-mile pre-work ride is a not a problem these days.

So, I'm wondering what will happen to my body when I go further than before (but probably not harder)? What should I do, eat, drink to give myself the best chance of completing the course in a reasonable time? What should I not do?

I know this isn't the classic way to prepare so if you think I'm daft, please save your breath. Like I said, I have my own very good reasons for trying. But if you've any words of advice or experience, my ears are wide open.

Thank you, Stephen

Comments

• d4evr
    d4evr Posts: 293
    Your body will suffer, but you will do it! As for eating, little and often is the key. Gels, maltloaf, flapjack, bananas, fig rolls are what I use, or a small cheese sandwich for something savoury. I have a decent breakfast also, usually porridge with raisins and/or honey. The day before I have pasta for lunch and dinner to load up on carbs. Drink plenty water leading up to the event days before. Sip a drink often also during the event, before you get thirsty, I alternate between an energy drink and water with an electrolyte in it (Nuun, High5).

I am by no means an expert, but this is what I do and it has served me well (I think I am on the right lines though).

As I said you will suffer at some point but I can also say you will almost certainly enjoy it hugely. Good Luck!
  • IanPV
    IanPV Posts: 123
    just pace yourself, don't go off too hard, and have a nutrition strategy sorted out. those gels are horrible but they will keep you going. You'll probably find it easier than you think, as long as you are comfortable on the bike.
  • I've been meaning to get around to thanking your for your advice for a while. I did do it and raised £1000 for a local cancer charity in the process. In the end I got some brilliant advice from a nutritionist which helped me a great deal. I wrote about it here so others can learn from what worked and what didn't: http://www.project4cycling.com/2012/08/ ... white.html