giant trance x4 upgrades

arkeye
arkeye Posts: 7
edited June 2012 in MTB buying advice
hi everyone, first post, i have recently moved to aylesbury so having great fun exploring the chilterns.

anyways my bike is due some tlc so wanted advice on what parts to upgrade and in which order. the bike is completely standard apart from the nuke proof handle bars.

any advice would be great, and if any rides are going on let me know

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Welcome, but what is standard spec? A link or list helps those of us who don't memorise the spec of every bike going.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • arkeye
    http://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-gb/bik ... 868/39077/

here is the spec. sorry should have included in the first post

Model Trance X4
    Sizes S (16"),M (18"),L (20"),XL (22")
    Colours Satin Silver/Blue
    Frame AluxX SL aluminum, Fluid Formed TM, 5.0"/127mm Maestro Suspension
    Fork RockShox Tora 302, 120mm
    Shock Giant Air shock
    Handlebar Giant Connect, low rise 31.8mm
    Stem Giant Connect
    Seatpost Giant Connect
    Saddle Giant Performance MTB
    Pedals Alloy Platform
    Shifters Shimano Deore 27 speed
    Front Derailleur Shimano Deore
    Rear Derailleur Shimano Deore Shadow
    Brakes Shimano Alivio hydraulic discs, 185F/160R mm rotors
    Brake Levers Shimano Alivio
    Cassette Shimano Deore 11-34
    Chain Shimano HG-73
    Crankset Shimano M422 Octalink, 22/32/44
    Bottom Bracket Shimano BB-ES25 Octalink
    Rims WTB Speed Disc XC
    Hubs Formula Alloy Disc
    Spokes Stainless, 14g
    Tyres Kenda Nevegal, 26x2.1"
    Extras
    Weight (lb/kg) 32.07/14.72
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Are there any areas letting you down? Or any worn parts? These are the first things to change.
  • arkeye
    well the gears are, i have adjusted them but they keep jumping and not changing properly. they look ok, slightly worn so am considering upgrading them. also the forks adjustment knob no longer works so want to change these also as they do seem to be very basic. i suppose beefier brakes is something i am also looking at. the rear shock i am not in a major hurry to change just yet as its performing ok.

any recommendations?
  • supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    A full drivetrain change is about £200 for deore, so I'd look atjust changing the chain and cables first, might solve it.

A fork like a RockShox Reba will save weight and add adjustibility.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Depends on your budget really.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paul.skibum
    paul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    260 bucks gets you a full deore 10 speed groupset including brakes at Merlin Cycles http://www.merlincycles.com/bike-shop/mtb-parts/transmission-gears/groupsets-mtb/deore-10-speed-disc-brake-groupset.html

A Reba wold be around 300 from Merlin too.

The groupset would upgrade (or at least revitalise) your entire drivetrain and brakes assuming you can fit them yourself. No experience of the Alivio brakes but deore are powerful stoppers if not overly packed with feel!
    Closet jockey wheel pimp whore.
  • bamba
    bamba Posts: 856
    Had my trance almost 2 years now,replaced the forks last year, more of a want than need, to RS sektor rl's coil for better damping and adjustments plus a small weight saving, went for a 20mm axle so picked up a 2nd hand DT/hope wheel,swaped the tyres out pretty early to 2.35's maxxis,this was probably as id been used to them before on my old bike.
    Gears and brakes , never felt a problem although would like to fit a medium cage rear mech as is only 2x9 up front with bash an chain device.
    Currently toying with getting a new rear wheel so is similar spec to the front.
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    I would go for a Rockshox Sektor RL 140mm fork. Works really well on the Trance & a common upgrade. Also worth going for a mix of Deore & SLX components, possibly a Deore hollowtec 2 crankset with double & bash set up, SLX front & rear mech & SLX cassette with a SRAM chain.
  • arkeye
    great advise thanks everyone. will prob come back with a few questions but off to source parts on the net now
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    By my point of view, the rear shock is okay. I wouldn't upgrade the gears, most likely they need adjusting, new cables and/or new chain+cassette.
    I think you would greatly benefit from upgrading the forks, a decent Reba, and when you are at that, go with 15mm maxle, if you can afford new wheels.
    For the brakes issue, you can get the new SLX brakes for good price.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Proutster
    Proutster Posts: 785
    Looks like the spec list for a 2010 version like mine. Got mine in August 2010 and after about 6 months of use as standard I've spent quite a bit of time (& money, obviously) getting mine so that I'm now very happy with it.

Got to say that the best investment for gearing has been the Gore Ride on kit - the standard non- full length outers quickly got full of Peak district grit and changing was then just as you describe. Since fitting the kit (well over a year ago IIRC) I haven't had to adjust the cables at all. Some people think they're a waste of money but, in my experience, they are the dogs!!

Have a look here for all of the upgrades - ask away if you want any more advice :D