100 Miles? What's the Big Deal ?

13»

Comments

• ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    ...don't want to show off, but I will 'cause I'm pleased with myself, I have just ridden 4 back to back 100 milers from Dunkerque to Saarbruken in Germany...
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • Gussio
    Gussio Posts: 2,452
    ChrisLS wrote:
    ...don't want to show off, but I will 'cause I'm pleased with myself, I have just ridden 4 back to back 100 milers from Dunkerque to Saarbruken in Germany...

So is that 400 miles or 800 miles in total.....? :wink:
  • ChrisLS
    ChrisLS Posts: 2,749
    400 miles, 100 miles each day for 4 days...came home on trains
    ...all the way...'til the wheels fall off and burn...
  • jonomc4
    jonomc4 Posts: 891
    well I am impressed. I am a long way off managing two back to back 100 milers.
  • adebisi
    adebisi Posts: 52
    jonomc4 wrote:
    well I am impressed. I am a long way off managing two back to back 100 milers.
    In three weeks, me and my friend are aiming at doing three back to back 160km'ers (i.e. 100 milers). Neither of us would qualify as an experienced rider (we only commute) but having covered 160km'ers already twice before on a hybrid I'm confident we both will be able to pull it if we keep the pace down and take brakes on a regular basis. On such endurance rides, lactic acid will be your only enemy, since it will ruin the next couple of days, too.

Actually my previous rides must have been fun to watch. In our group of 6, only two had road bikes. I was on my fitness hybrid with SPD-pedals, while two of my mates were riding flat bar fixies with flat pedals and the sixth a 300€ hybrid with a suspension fork and flat pedals. Needless to say, it took us a little over to 7 hours to cover the distance since we took quite a few brakes and even stopped for a pint a couple of times.

Hence, in my experience just about anyone will be able to do a 100 miler in one working day assuming that you're allowed to take brakes. But if you want to do that without stopping even once, it's a completely new game asking for endurance and good planning since you have to eat and drink without getting off the saddle.
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    Breaks. Please. Other than that you're right.
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,768
    CiB wrote:
    Breaks. Please. Other than that you're right.
    I chose to forgive that as I took the references to km's and Euros as being a sign English may not be his first language. Although it's still better than that of most Englishmen.
  • CiB
    Fair point. I chose not to tut at the use of km's, not pausing to consider that we might have someone from the colonies posting. Sorry about that.
  • adebisi
    CiB wrote:
    Fair point. I chose not to tut at the use of km's, not pausing to consider that we might have someone from the colonies posting. Sorry about that.
    No offense taken, since anyone who doesn't think in SI units doesn't qualify for being taken seriously :D:D:D:D
  • CiB
    Steady... :wink: [offence too].
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    adebisi wrote:
    CiB wrote:
    No offense taken, since anyone who doesn't think in SI units doesn't qualify for being taken seriously :D:D:D:D
    I curse my English education for having been taught in (and they still teach) Imperial measurements and units, so I've been trying to get used to expressing distances in Km and weigh in Kg, but no matter how hard I try I can't get used to expressing temperature in Kelvin.
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!
  • adebisi
    CiB wrote:
    Steady... :wink: [offence too].
    Now that you mentioned it, this is interesting. Somehow I've always thought that you Brits are obsessed with using S's. This is primarily due to the -zation vs. -sation or -ize vs. -ise thing. But when it comes to C's, you seem to be more akin with the Russians who use C's instead of S's (disregarding the fact that they're using cyrillics).

Thanks for the lesson =)
  • CiB
    I wouldn't let it worry you - three quarters of the UK population don't have the first clue about breaks/brakes, offense/offence, licence/license, practice/practise etc. Your stab was quite good (for a foreign jonny anyway). :)

Pip pip, etc.
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    Weather for this weekend 112 mile sportive: thunderstorms and 55mph winds.

I think I may hide somewhere indoors.
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • CiB
    Weather for this weekend 112 mile sportive: thunderstorms and 55mph winds.

I think I may hide somewhere indoors.
    Winds are a tailwind on the return loop, which makes it beneficial. And isn't there at least one caped crusader on here who likes to point out how much fun riding in the pouring rain is?

If it gets too bad I'll just detour off at halfway to Pa's farm and sit it out. It does leave the awkward business of my car still being 40 odd miles away though. Or visit the craft fair at Botcheston to nick Old Mother CiB's flask of coffee then invite her to drive me back to the finish. I haven't seen her for a week or so so it should be an easy one to swing. Ways & means, ways & means...