Wiggle Wight Ferry Sportive 2012

EPTR1
EPTR1 Posts: 21
Hi

Did anyone ride this last year? Any thoughts, advice, many thanks!

Comments

• topcattim
    topcattim Posts: 766
    I did it last year and loved it. I do a few sportives a year (New Forest spring sportive, New Forest 100, Magnificat, Southern Sportive, Tour of Wessex) and this one felt different and much more festival-like, purely because of the ferry element. There's a good blast out to the ferry from Brockenhurst - I think it was about 15 to 20 miles, we went blasting out, as it is good and flat. I caught an early ferry and had a good chat to other riders on the boat. The island is quite hilly, and the drag up to Tennyson Down (the western point, up by the Needles) is into the wind and tough - save some energy. Then there's a break at Yarmouth for the ferry (remember to take clothes that will keep you warm if you are hanging around) and another flat return to Brockenhurst.

Top tip - learned the hard way. DO NOT, I REPEAT DO NOT ride your bike onto the ferry, no matter how many others are doing this. I did, and my front wheel got stuck in the gap between the ramps. Warped irreperably and I had to limp back to the start. But even this didn't put a downer on the day - I loved it so much that I am taking my 16 year old son this year for his first taste of a sportive. Its a superb day.
  • nunowoolmez
    nunowoolmez Posts: 867
    +1. Very enjoyable day's riding. The scenery is nice & the ferry is good fun. Adds a twist to the day & if ut is warm you can just sit out on the deck taking in the breeze & fresh air! Good chance to have a chat & joke with other riders & the course is really good. Didn't expect the island to be as lumpy as it was but there are a couple of tough climbs with head winds!!

As usual impeccable organisation. Very recommended.