I've been Conned!

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited June 2012 in Commuting chat
I agreed to do a sportive with my neighbour at Christmas. Its in 3 weeks time. I did a 25 mile solo ride the other week and the London to Brighton in 2007. Added to my 6mile a day Brompton commuteand its adequate training for the 100km route I thought.

Yesterday he starts talking about doing the 100 miles route, claiming thats what we agreed. I'm away this weekend, next weekend it one of my kids birthdays and then its sportive weekend?

I reckon I could get around the 100 miles, but it will hurt like hell and take up most of the day.

So do I start training at 4am in the morning every morning for the next couple of weeks, which is realistically the only time I have any free time, or tell him to bog off we're doing the 100km?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• notsoblue
    notsoblue Posts: 5,756
    Can you commute on your road bike? If you extend it to 15-20 miles each way at a decent tempo between now and the Sportive you'll be fine. If you have a decent commute and you usually ride at pace then you'll probably find yourself in a much more comfortable position than most other people doing the sportive.
  • t4tomo
    No its a Cycle - train - cycle into London, only folders allowed, and too far to miss the train bit out.

On the brightside we;re moving office on Friday so my daily commute will be 8 rather than 6 miles!
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • CiB
    CiB Posts: 6,098
    You've done L2B, so you can do a hundred. It'll take about 6 hours if you press on, 7 if you amble, plus as long as you need for proper breaks etc. 100's all in the mind. Same amount of effort as 50, just takes a lot longer. It'll probably be ok though. Once you're at it, it just happens.

I've got 2 100+ milers coming up in the next few weeks and it's coincided with my mojo upping sticks & sodding off without giving enough notice. Typical.
  • ToeKnee
    ToeKnee Posts: 376
    t4tomo wrote:
    No its a Cycle - train - cycle into London, only folders allowed, and too far to miss the train bit out.!
    Get on/off the train one, two or more stops down/up the line to increase your mileage?
    Seneca wrote:
    It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare; it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.
    Specialized TriCross Sport+Ultegra+Rack&Bag+Guards+Exposure Lights - FCN 7
    Track:Condor 653, MTB:GT Zaskar, Road & TT:Condors.
  • notsoblue
    CiB's right about it being all in the mind. If you can do 50 you can do 100. Just keep hydrated and fed and go at a pace you feel comfortable sustaining.

The good thing about bikes is that you can always just coast or glasscrank if you're knackered ;) How experienced/fit is the chap you're doing the ride with?
  • t4tomo
    We're a pretty good match when we've been out on mountain bikes, hes a a tad older late 40's to my early 40s but we're both pretty fit, although he's done a couple of 100km sportives lately and I haven't.

I'm leaning towards doing 100km - that will make for a pleasant morning out and leave the afternoon for family stuff and hurt less, 100 miles will lose most of the day and the last 20-30 miles will be a chore rather than a pleasure.
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Brompton S Type
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
  • notsoblue
    Ah, you should bite the bullet and do the 100miler. Get one under your belt, its not that much further. In for 62p, in for a pound :D
  • jds_1981
    jds_1981 Posts: 1,858
    Yeah, by the time you've faffed around and got out there, the extra 38 miles won't add much time.
    FCN 9 || FCN 5
  • Can you detour on your commute to add a few miles each way?
    Why? Because I'm guaranteed a seat all the way in.

Brompton SL2
    Ridley Icarus SLS
  • greg66_tri_v2.0
    greg66_tri_v2.0 Posts: 7,172
    You have two choices.

1. Do it.
    2. Curl up on the floor in a foetal position, crying like a baby and gentling rocking back and forth.

What's it to be? :twisted:
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A