Saddle Sore!

johnnicebutdim
johnnicebutdim Posts: 99
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Hi, I'm buying a Boardman MTB Comp soon from Halfords and it'll used on a C2C (off-road route) as well as some distance road work. I've heard that the saddle is a weak point on the Boardman although, I admit, I haven't tried it out yet.

Since I'm no spring chicken anymore (50's), comfort is reasonably important and I would be grateful for any suggestions for a good alternative saddle, if I need one. Budget around £35-£50.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Try it first.
    Otherwise the standard answer is a Charge Spoon.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad wrote:
    Try it first.
    Otherwise the standard answer is a Charge Spoon.

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/charge-spoon-sa ... poon+broad

Cant fault the reviews!
  • Raymondavalon
    Raymondavalon Posts: 5,346
    The other "standard" answer is the WTB Rocket Race saddle, very comfortable
  • and nice looking too. Having looked in at the WTB saddles on chain reaction, I'd like to blow my budget and get the Team saddle http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=47725

...but I'm too sensible for that (regrettably!)
  • delcol
    delcol Posts: 2,848
    saddles are a personal thing.. it's hard to say as one may suit me and not you...

i must be the only one out there that didnt get on with the charge spoon saddle.. i have to say it's the worst saddle i had..
    fizik gobi is another that get alot of recomendations.. i replaced my spoon with a gobi and never looked back..

plus 1 for wtb saddles to...
  • lostboysaint
    lostboysaint Posts: 4,250
    delcol wrote:
    saddles are a personal thing.. it's hard to say as one may suit me and not you...

i must be the only one out there that didnt get on with the charge spoon saddle.. i have to say it's the worst saddle i had..
    fizik gobi is another that get alot of recomendations.. i replaced my spoon with a gobi and never looked back..

plus 1 for wtb saddles to...

That's why the Spoon gets recommended, because it seems to work for MOST, not all, but it's a cheap way of finding out whether it works for you. If it doesn't then you move on, knowing that you'll get most of the cash back on the Spoon or will only have "wasted" £20. No-one is suggesting it works for everyone, although it seems to work for the majority, but it's a great starting point.

You took the usual option if it doesn't work as well, which is fair enough, but it's a £60 exercise to find out if it works and do you want to lash that amount out first time?

To the OP, the other option is to go to your local LBS or Spesh dealer and try the "sit-bone" things that they use to measure you for a saddle. The Spesh Henge and others get a good write-up and you should be presented with one that works for you if they do the "body geometry" thing. Some LBS have a similar thing for Fizik saddles.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • I'll try the standard Boardman saddle first but if not good, I'll check out the ones you guys have suggested!

Great help...thanks!
  • A saddle shouldn't be too much of a problem on a mountain bike as your shifting your weight around so much and are in and out of the saddle all the time. Make sure you have a decent pair of cycling shorts.. wear them under baggies if you have too but real men flaunt their lycra and shave their legs :wink: The other secret is too apply some lubricant to the pad in the shorts and your nether regions.. especially your "gooch"... Assos Chamois Cream is the best but Savlon and Sudacrem are OK too.
  • UncleMonty
    UncleMonty Posts: 385
    Agree with the comment above about trying it out first, horses for courses & arse's for saddles etc.

Do you wear padded cycling shorts ?

If not i'd spend my first £35 on a decent pair, they'll make much more difference than any change of saddle.
  • UncleMonty wrote:
    Do you wear padded cycling shorts ?.

I'm looking at some on the internet but the choice is huge!
  • Fingz999
    Fingz999 Posts: 69
    padded shorts is definatly the first stop three of us have gone down that route recently all with different bikes one guy got his from halfords another from ebay some adidas ones i went for some madison ones from amazon all of us have been very pleased with the results just make sure there well padded decathlon normally have a good range to look at or your lbs so you can see the difference in padding
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    You need to go with the standard saddle, take time to adjust it to hold you bum in the right position. Then once you are used to it, you can identify what is wrong with it if anything. Then you can find a saddle that corrects the issue.

Spending more doesn't mean more comfortable. My WTB laser SLT is less comfy than many. Also something that is comfy for 1-2 hours might not be great 3-4 hours or 6hrs +.

If I am doing anything over 6hrs I will double short an I am seriously thinking of using a gel seat cover for this years SDW randonee (12-13hrs).