smidsy Posts: 5,273
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
Any members on here of either?

If so are they novice friendly?
Yellow is the new Black.

Comments

• nochekmate
    nochekmate Posts: 3,460
    Not sure how easy it will be for you to get to many of the Derby Mercury club runs. No knowledge of set-up at Coalville Wheelers but it is more local to you.

If a bit of travel is not a problem you could always try Mercia CC in Burton - seems to be quite a healthy scene going on there at the moment, with a variety of rides on for riders of different ability.

Also Long Eaton and Beeston that are your side of Nottingham that you might consider.
  • themekon
    themekon Posts: 197
    Coalville wheelers have evening time trials on a wed' and Friday evenings through the summer. All abilities catered for. The clubroon is on the top road Griffydam. Try calling in to check it out one evening. The clubruns go from Heather on Sat' and Sun' mornings. They do have a website,just Google it.
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    Yes I'm Derby Mercury - we are very beginner friendly - check out derbymercury.org.uk if you want a feel for the club or pm me if you like. You are welcome to ride any of our rides without joining.

As a bit of an ad for the club what we have going on is.
    Monday - there's a MTB ride in Ingleby - all year
    Tues - Chain gang 6.45 Little Eaton by A38 island (normally fast and steady group), plus evening TT in Spring Summer
    Wednesday - GoRide session for kids - outdoor in Spring - Autumn, indoor in Winter (rollers or turbo)
    Thurs - Chain gang (same as Tuesday - bigger numbers in Summer)
    Sat - normally a steady club run type ride from old Palm Court site, occasional youth training rides too see web forum
    Sun - Smaller traditional club run from old Palm Court site

Lots of people join in other local training rides too and we have pretty good numbers doing audax, road racing, TT, cyclo-cross (big kids and youth turnout do this), MTB racing too.

There are loads of good clubs around though and if you are in Loughborough we may not be the best option for you - but you'd be welcome on any of our rides whatever club you are in anyway.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • smidsy
    Thanks all.

Oxoman - Would have been up for that challenge ride but I will be in Norway then.

I chose those 2 clubs as I had already viewed the websites and wanted to know a little more from folk who actually are members.

The start points for the club rides in either club are about 10 miles from me so that does make a long day I suppose.

Any other club recommendations welcome as I fancy getting involved in one as I find my riding improves more when with others.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • themekon
    Its a pity about the Coalville wheelers as the ride to Heather is about 15 miles from loughborough and nearly all uphill. The only other options are the leicester and Long Eaton based clubs but The Leicestershire road Club goes from the Redhill TI so that's about as far. Not sure about the Long Eaton club.
    The loughborough Road club exists in name only as far as I am aware has no active members. Loughborough Phoenix is a CTC based club.
  • smidsy
    themekon wrote:
    Its a pity about the Coalville wheelers as the ride to Heather is about 15 miles from loughborough and nearly all uphill.

Yes, particularly given their clubhouse is only 5 miles away from me. Still you can't run a club to suit one person and they are very clear about where they meet etc. so its up to the individual to choose. At least I'll get fit :shock:

Looked at Long Eaton and they are a little closer but the website is a little vague/confusing.

I will go to both and have a shufty at some point.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • nickel
    nickel Posts: 476
    Not sure which side of Loughborough you're on but I'm a member of Leicester Forest CC and can say it's a really friendly club.

May well be too far for you to travel for club runs etc but I thought I'd give my club a mention!

http://leicesterforest.org.uk/
  • smidsy
    By way of an update.

Went to the Coalville Wheelers club run on Sunday (starting at Heather) and can report that they are a welcoming and friendly bunch.

There were about 15 folk there and after a brief chat and basic instructions on what to expect we set off about 09.15 and cycled until 11.20 when we had a cake stop at Mount Sorell (34 miles but 2 stops for punctures in the group).

We then headed back via the Leicestershire Alps (round Bradgate park) where I eventually got dropped by the group (my fault - I really hate hills) and decided to head for home when I reached Groby. So all in I did 60 miles by the time I got back home which is my longest to date.

The experience for me was a very positive one and I will certainly go back for another go.

The only down side for me was the 5 hrs I was out which did not impress 'er in doors'.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • bulluke23
    bulluke23 Posts: 48
    If you are based in Loughborough you could check out Leicester forest cc. Lots of people from all around Leicester and Loughborough area.
    They are a friendly club with lots of stuff going on like TT, club runs, social rides and velodrome trips. Worth a look!!
    Summer: Condor Classico
    Winter: Genesis Ather
  • themekon
    We then headed back via the Leicestershire Alps (round Bradgate park) where I eventually got dropped by the group (my fault - I really hate hills)

So did they wait for you or just disappear into the distance ?. That wouldnt have been so good if you were new to the area and had to make your way back to Heather over the forest.
  • smidsy
    Two did stop at the top of the second climb to ensure we were OK and it was at that point I headed for home.

I knew the area and when I saw the Groby sign I knew I needed to get back.
    Yellow is the new Black.