Stem raiser or new stem?

Nick1978 Posts: 93
edited June 2012 in Workshop
I am finding my bars are a bit too low and need to raise them a bit maybe by an inch. What do people reocmmend...a simply stem raiser (can you get them that just raise about an inch?) or something like a new adjustable stem such as: ... RRWidgetID



  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    Can you flip the stem?

    Do you have room on your steerer to accept spacers?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    The things you can do are:

    1. Move any spacers from above stem to below stem.

    2. Flip stem over so it slopes up slightly rather than down.

    3. Buy new more angled stem - or an adjustable one (most people use these to find their position and then buy a fixed one of the right shape).

    4. Use a stem raiser thingy - just ugly.

    The first 2 options are free and can often get you what you need.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    If steerer tube spacers are posistioned for max stem height then flipping the stem might work. If the stem angle is too near flat to make a difference, Cinelli make the Vai stem with +/-17 degree rise and thomsen do there road stem with the same rise. There are also stems with variable rise. -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Nick1978
    Nick1978 Posts: 93
    Thanks everyone!
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    These are very good. Good range of adjustment and pretty stiff.