cleat position / foot pain

t4tomo
t4tomo Posts: 2,643
edited June 2012 in Road beginners
I'm getting a little bit of foot pain in the outside of one foot once I've done 15 miles or so. Does the general herd think that should move the cleat further to the outside or inside of the shoe sole as first adjustment to attempt to get rid of it?
Bianchi Infinito CV
Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
Brompton S Type
Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
Gary Fisher Aquila '98
Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem

Comments

• jomoj
    jomoj Posts: 777
    could be your shoes and nothing to do with the cleat but if you have pain in the outside of foot then it might suggest you are trying to push your foot in that direction - moving the cleat towards the inside might help. Cleat position is a question of trial and error so make an adjustment and see how it feels.
  • Herbsman
    Herbsman Posts: 2,029
    Get a professional to fit them.
    CAPTAIN BUCKFAST'S CYCLING TIPS - GUARANTEED TO WORK! 1 OUT OF 10 RACING CYCLISTS AGREE!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    > Get a professional to fit them.

Easier said than done. I live in the Highlands but would love a professional fitting.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    Indeed also expensive and time consuming
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • warrerj
    warrerj Posts: 665
    Cleat position shouldn't really give you too much in the way of foot pain as there's very little adjustment there to play with. I'd say it's more likley to be you shoe/insole or even somthing as simple as over tightening you shoe (a problem I used to get).
  • benkxk
    benkxk Posts: 151
    I had this the first time I used it and I realised one cleat was placed differently from the other
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I would suspect shoe fit rather than incorrect cleat position. The latter would more likely result in knee pain.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Tend to agree with the others on shoe fit rather than cleats. Had some pain on the outside of my feet which I cured with some Specialized Varus Shims/Wedges. Kneel on a chair and get someone to have a look which way the soles of your feet are angled. Have a play adding wedges to see if it helps.
  • Evil Laugh
    Evil Laugh Posts: 1,412
    Cleat position can make some difference to soreness in the feet. Try moving the cleat inwards, ie foot away from crank. The wedges "can" help but I'd advise getting some help prescribing these rather than presuming you should whack a few in your shoes, could end up doing more harm than good.