Hardtail for a 10 year old

2»

Comments

• Apreading is right. Marin is very nice bike for the money :)
  • Sadly the lighter framed Hawk Hill seems to have the coil version of the Suntour Raidon LOd fork, whereas the heavier B-17 has the Rockshox Tora XC Solo Air.

Will see what tomorrow brings at the Marin dealer - the light frame is a bonus point for a youngster, and a good point for future rebuilds, but the solo air fork of the B17 will allow set-up as he grows.
  • Well i finally caught up with the Marin dealer today, thankfully they had both Hawk Hill and B-17 bikes in stock (wrong year, wrong size but good to see them side by side). He wasn't too impressed with either because of the straight top tube, and to be honest the colour of the Hawk wasn't very child friendly and the matt black with spiderwebs of the B-17 wasn't a lot better to his eyes. Whilst they were bigger frames than he needed they both looked far too much bike for him to handle, the sort of thing he might want at 20 but not at 10. Then we saw a Merida Matts 100-D, the cinked top tube , high bars and (more importantly for him) the lime green colour was a winner, and he instantly looked better on the bike.

Its got reasonable spec, the fork is only a Suntour coil but could be upgraded later to an air unit. More importantly the whole set up of the frame just looked better for him.

So i now have the problem of convincing him the 2009 300-D model ...

Merida Trail 300D
    Model Year 2009
    Size 15"
    Frame Matts TFS-Trail-Disc
    Pedals XC Steel
    Fork Rockshox Dart 3 120mm with lock-out
    Shifters Shimano Deore rapidfire
    Front Mech Shimano Deore/Shimano Deore Top Normal
    Rear Mech Shimano Deore/Shimano Deore Top Normal
    Cassette Shimano CS-HG50-9 11-32
    Chain Shimano CN-HG53
    Crankset Shimano M442 44-32-22
    Handlebar XM Comp CEN 31.8 Rise
    Stem XM Speed CEN 31.8
    Brakes Tektro Auriga Comp 180/180 mm
    Brake Levers Tektro Auriga Comp
    Seat post XM Speed CEN SB20 31.6
    Saddle XM Trail
    Rims Alex DP17 Disc Black
    Hubs Disc Alloy
    Tyres Merida Trail 2.25

is better than the flashy lime green 2012 version..

http://www.winstanleysbikes.co.uk/produ ... _2012_Bike
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    Is upgrading the current frame out of the question?
    Ps, I think that both would be ok, though the 300-D seems to be the better one.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    If he upgrades the current frame he would probably find that Bottom Bracket wrong size, cables may be wrong lengths, fork steerer wrong length etc etc. Plus the components will be shoot anyway.

Deffo the older 300D listed is a much better spec, but you reach a point where you have to buy a bike that they will like as much as one that makes sense to you. Personally I prefer understated looks on a bike as it draws less attention from thiefs but when my lad was weighing up a Spesh Hotrock against a Marin Bayview which had slightly better spec, the flashy Hotrock was the only one he wanted. So I went with it because nothing else would have been good enough to his mind and if he loves it that much he is more likely to ride it and ride it further.
  • 386ka
    386ka Posts: 479
    I meant upgrading the bike, keeping the current frame, changing components. And yes, sometimes kids stubbornness should not be underestimated.
    A much loved, Giant Trance X3 2010
  • Agree with you both - the flashy green one is very obvious , which potentially makes it stand out to thieves but might be a bonus when he rides out on the roads with traffic around him ! Its also the colour choice he'd choose if they were side by side !

The outlet with the 300-D has now offered me a 500-D 2009, with Hayes Stroker brakes, XT gearset and Manitou Drake air fork for £430

So..
    2102 100-D @ £475 for cash
    2009 300-D @ £360
    2009 500-D @ £430

The components of the latter two could be transfered to another frame in the future (assuming they are still good) and are by far the better value. The 300-D is plenty of bike for him, and Alivio parts are cheap to replace !. The 500-D would be my choice but for a 10yr old perhaps the £70 is better still in my wallet lol!
  • Still weighing this one up. I'm sure the 300-D is more than enough spec for him, the 500-D has better spec which for the extra £70 seems worth having.

idmtbs1.jpg

Much as i'd like to give my local dealer the business, £475 for the lowly (again adequate) spec 100-D just isn't going to happen !
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    500D for £430 is a no brainer, that's a great spec bike for the money and beats the other 2 hands down....
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • One other concern with the 500-D is the 130mm fork, rather than 120mm - its going to pus the front end up slightly more, and hence standover a few extra mm.
  • The deed is done - went for the 500-D in the end - its all the bike he'll need for the next few years, and the colour won't appeal to the tea leafs !!