Getting up in the morning!

2»

Comments

• Azhar
    Azhar Posts: 247
    well i did it again today. nice easy ride in to work takes me about 1hour 25 minutes and the ride home takes me about 1hr 5 minutes. its more uphills on the way to work and i try a bit harder going back home because i know i can have a shower straightaway and wont smell of sweat. knees hurt a lot though. but luckily 5 minutes in to cycling my knee pain was gone. but now that i am home it hurts again. :( getting better at the hills and this cycling stuff really is addictive.

currently targetting myself 3 times a week (mon,wed,fri) and then i'll do a longish ride on the weekend and work my way up to riding in everyday but at the moment that seems a bit far away but happy to be doing 3 times a week. :D
  • Well done.

I started riding 1 shift per week and now ride both my day shifts, get up at 4:20ish out the house by 5:10 at work/showered/changed by the start of my shift at 6:30, then leave work after my shift at 18:45-19:00 and usually home by 20:10-20:15. It makes for a long couple of days but well worth it.
    I'm planning on cycling on my last night shift this week making 3 out of 4 shifts which will be more than enough as I struggle with the change from Day to Night too much to contemplate a 17mile ride home after a 12hour night shift
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    The knee pain got to me in the first full year back on the bike but it's (mostly) gone now I'm used to it. I found I couldn't sit for long with out it flaring up. Actually that's what got me started on BikeRadar:

viewtopic.php?f=40052&t=12730598&p=16487950&hilit=knee+pain+cinema#p16487950

I ended up moving my PC so I could game standing up after not gaming much as I couldn't sit comfortably. It came on the first year I went from ducking out when it rained and skipping Winter and started measuring times with phone apps and committed to making it through what turned out to be the coldest winter for 30 years. Probably the moment that finally hooked me in was the first snow. It started on the ride home, horizontal sleety hail in the face. Next day I gave myself an extra 50% time and ploughed on through it. The whole time I was faster than anything else on the road. The moment I was hooked and once again convinced the bike was the best way was being the only person to turn up on time on the first snowy day of Winter.[/inspirational anecdote]
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Of course the ultimate solution is to work really hard, makes shed loads of money and then retire, like me, and then you can get up any bloody time you like. It is perfection.