Clothing for *ahem* Bigger blokes

steelie600
steelie600 Posts: 519
edited June 2012 in MTB general
Righto, as you lot probably know, what with me harping on all the while, I am a fat barsteward :shock:

6'5" and just over 20st of said immense borsentness to be precise

Is there anywhere out there that sells decent bike specific clothing for us bigger men? Im getting titzed off at normal t-shirts riding up my back, shorts and trackies that slip down, etc

So a set of bib shorts and a cycle jersey/jacket would be bob on with some baggies over the lycra shorts to keep ones cool image :lol: (Lycra is for wierdo's but does seem a necessity in cycling).

Anybody have any handy links they wanna share?? As im surely not the only fb to ride a bike ever? surely?

Cheers
Kev
Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph

Comments

• DF33
    DF33 Posts: 732
    Where he shops

formerprocyclist.jpg
    Peter
  • steelie600
    BWAHAHAHAHAHA im not quite that big but..............

Ive seen some stuff on ebay, but not 100% on the sizings. Just wondered if we have any real experiences, from guys who have used cycling to lose weight etc (Like I am doing).
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • snoopsmydogg
    snoopsmydogg Posts: 1,110
    when I started I was 5'11 and over 16 stone. a quick email to prendas helped with the bib tights. Just click the contact us link and send them your body size and they should be able to come back with a recommendation.

www.prendas.co.uk

For the top I just bought a cheap muddy fox jersey from sports direct, seem a bit more forgiving than the figure hugging tops available on line :)
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,661
    Endura is your friend! They seem to make clothing for normal sized people rather than cyclists...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Madison gear seems to fit the larger gentleman. I ordered a pair of XL baggies off them and they were the size of a circus tent so were swapped for an L, its not often I fit into an L. Also Altura flexx baggies are a big fit plus they are elasticated so dont chafe. Polaris is another that do clothes that fit normal people I have a Polaris top that fits nicely over a back protector and beer belly.

Basically any company based in Britain is your friend all the others seem to base there clothing fit on an bulimic metrosexual Italian.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • DHB on the wiggle site are great for us big boys. Got a few bits off there, the sizing as as they say it is too. Real good quality stuff as well.
    My biggest fear is that should I crash, burn and die, my Wife would sell my stuff based upon what I told her I paid for it.
  • mcnultycop
    mcnultycop Posts: 2,143
    DHB on the wiggle site are great for us big boys. Got a few bits off there, the sizing as as they say it is too. Real good quality stuff as well.

As above, I got some bib shorts in XXL when I was about 24 stone (and 5'10") and they did the trick; if anything they were a bit too long for me in the body so they'd be OK for you, I had to adjust the straps every now and then. They are a bit baggy now though, but only because I've shrunk.

I wear Bontrager baggies with a liner now, and they fit well and I'm still around a 40" waist - they were about £20 as they were last year's model from JE James. I wear a Helly Hansen base layer (eBay, £16 or something) and that fits really well, as it is meant to be close fitting. I quite often wear a paintball jersey too, from when I used to play paintball years ago. It is good as paintball stuff is like cycling gear; longer at the back for when you are leaning over, but it is a really nice loose fit for summer.
  • steelie600
    COOLIO Cheers guys, best get shopping before she gets to the money LOL
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    ddraver wrote:
    Endura is your friend! They seem to make clothing for normal sized people rather than cyclists...

Got to disagree.

I'm a 34" waist and the Endura Humvees are tight around the waist. In XL. Much bigger than that and you're going to struggle. The legs are massive, but the waists aren't so generous.
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • DanDax1990
    DanDax1990 Posts: 1,201
    The Muddyfox gear from SportsDirect seem good enough, My brother bought a few of the long sleeved jerseys and they
    seem fine, He's reccomended them to me so going to get some.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-cy ... e=63618147

I have a pair of the Urban Camoflauge Shorts which I've only worn for one ride but seem really good for the money and the foam padding for my derriere, Oh and they look cool and keept me cool too! I'm a 38" waist and a XL fit me nicely, Not too long on the legs too, I'm about 6 Ft 1. I recommend these.

http://www.sportsdirect.com/muddyfox-ur ... rts-636065

They also do the shorts is black. Have a ganders.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    Clank wrote:
    ddraver wrote:

Got to disagree.

I'm a 34" waist and the Endura Humvees are tight around the waist. In XL. Much bigger than that and you're going to struggle. The legs are massive, but the waists aren't so generous.
    Endura Humvees are wierd. They fit me and i'm slim, whereas the Endura Singletracks are bigger in a small than the Humvees are in a medium :?
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • leaflite
    leaflite Posts: 1,651
    For t shirts/riding tops, especially for summer, try downhill specific ones. I bought this fox one not realising it was dh specific in my usual size and its huge! its not particularly long but very baggy
  • http://www.aerotechdesigns.com/

Big as u like but mostly I get DHB only had a few things from USA
  • steelie600
    Thats a bloody good call getting yankee sized stuff!! Spot on! Cheers mate.

A pint is owed!!
    Idiot ^^^^^^^^^

Ralph
  • woodytitan
    woodytitan Posts: 163
    I'm a "Larger" chap and have found Altura to be good for sizing, also have a look at mountain warehouse cycle wear, they do proper fat boy sizes and they're cheap as chips!! Oooh sorry for mentioning chips......mmmmm chips!!
    '11 Cannondale Trail SL3
  • Dirtrider
    Dirtrider Posts: 1,611
    your lucky really.

If you go on the chainreactioncycles.co.uk website and go on the clothing sales, most of the items reduced are xxl.

I'm a small-medium and eveything is either full price or out of stock.

I don't wish i was a plumper by any means, but would make some things cheaper (maybe not the food bill)
    For Sale:

Specialized P3 Frame

Marzocchi Z2 Atom 80mm
  • Dredd6969
    Dredd6969 Posts: 64
    I had the same problem for ages and finally came across these guys

http://www.cycle-clothing.co.uk

Bought some 3/4 baggies from them and I can't fault them and prices are reasonable aswell. I also had a look at aerotech designs, but be prepared to be slapped with import tax charges.

Hope this helps!!
  • steelie600 wrote:
    Thats a bloody good call getting yankee sized stuff!! Spot on! Cheers mate.

A pint is owed!!

I'm seriously thinking of moving there as its probably my only hope of ever being a medium again! PS Re later post I had no import tax on stuff I bought from aero tech ( I cant remember for sure but I think they marked the parcel gift so maybe that's why).