TV Free to Air Watching TDF etc

chickenlegs
chickenlegs Posts: 246
edited June 2012 in Pro race
I have previously watched Eurosport (TDF, Giro, & Vuelta) cycling on an analogue receiver box. (I think from the Astra satellite but not sure if it was Astra 1 or2).
The analogue signal has now been turned off (at the end of April) so I have just purchased a Free To Air - (FTA 19.2 degree satellite) - digital receiver which receives Eurosport. So far so good, I am receiving good quality picture and sound.
(For the more technically minded I am using an 80cm dish with twin LNBs - one for Freesat on a separate Freesat receiver and the other at 19.2 degrees with the Free To Air receiver)

However unlike previously with the analogue box as soon as the cycling transmission started the broadcast was in English albeit that the intermission adverts were in German. I am currently watching the Dauphine Libere, but the commentary is entirely in German, with a smattering of adverts in English. Although watching it in German may enhance my somewhat limited German I would much prefer to listen to an English commentary.
Has anybody any suggestions eg
1) Am I picking up the wrong Eurosport channel/sattelite??
2) Will I still receive the English commentary when the major events take place ie TDF, Vuelta etc

Any help or suggestions would be most helpful.

Comments

• nweststeyn
    nweststeyn Posts: 1,574
    You are lucky! British Eurosport is showing wall to wall Tennis at the moment, so there is no english Dauphine coverage at all... Get learning your German!
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 22,711
    No, you are picking up the ONLY FTA Eurosport service out there.
    Eurosport 1 Deutschland is not the old Eurosport International, so I'm afraid it's only commentary is German.
    Since only UK Eurosport have any Tour of Switzerland coverage, you may be interested to know that Sport 1 Germany will be covering the event. That is the old DSF channel and is also FTA.

If you have a second LNB picking up Astra 2 for FreeSat, then your English language Tour option is there, in the form of ITV 4.

If you watch Eurosport only for cycling, then a third option would be to drop 19.2 East and head to Hotbird at 13 East, where you will find those lovely Italians offer up Rai Sport 2 (and 1) and RAI 3. The former is very heavily invested in cycling and is currently showing longer live coverage of the Dauphine, than even the French.
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • andyrr
    andyrr Posts: 1,822
    RAI's cyclign coverage is typically very good. This year I think all major races have been shown live and smaller Italian races also whon plus they seem to frequently have fillers on RAI Sport 2 of older races - showed the highlights of the 1986 Worlds RR recently which was ace.
    Personally I'd choose RAI over Eurosport with German language - also my Italian is poor but better than my German.
  • chickenlegs
    chickenlegs Posts: 246
    Very many thanks for the replies, it looks as if I will need to have a satellite engineer in to change my LNB alignment to Hotbird.
    Just one query what happened to the old "Eurosport International"? As we know they stopped the analogue signal, but does it mean that they have simply dumped this channel or are they intending to broadcast it on a digital frequency in the future?