SIDI Sizing

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited April 2015 in Road buying advice
If any of you have SIDI shoes and UK size 11 feet, could you please tell me what size SIDIs you have? The sizing guide on PBK indicates I should have 45s.

TIA.

Comments

• letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    I have size 48 Sidis - winter boots - they are a size too big - however thick socks fill them out. I think UK11 (my size) - 47 sidis is about right.
  • Gazzetta67
    Gazzetta67 Posts: 1,890
    letap73 wrote:
    I have size 48 Sidis - winter boots - they are a size too big - however thick socks fill them out. I think UK11 (my size) - 47 sidis is about right.

Size 47 is a 12 in the Uk - Just bought Sidi five "Mega" and the wide fitting is very comfortable. I reckon you would need a size 46.
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Yes i agree with the above. 46 sounds right. I have 45s and i am size 10 UK
  • Mccaria
    Mccaria Posts: 869
    s-works I have 46, Sidis I went with the 46.5 rather than 46. The Sidi 46.5 just have a bit more room in the toe box than the Sidi 46, which worked better for me.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Depends on the shape of your feet and what you can get on with. In terms of length, the sidi sizes are spot on (i.e. 43=43), but they tend to run a little narrow and shallow at the front, so people often end up getting larger sizes to have more sideways/up-and-down room at the front (the PBK chart seems to be recommending that). Problem is that you can then end up with a centimeter or so of extra space in front of your big toe and possible back & forwards movement of the foot in the shoe. I am UK 8.5 foot size and I manage with a 43. My feet are not narrow, but they are low volume. Previously had 43.5 and the little bit of extra space at the front annoyed me no end.

Note that most sidis also come in half sizes although not all retailers stock them. The half sizes have the sole of the next size up (e.g. 43.5 has a 44 sole) but have more volume than the full sizes. So a 43.5 is longer than a 43, with a volume that is more than a 43 but less than a 44.
  • letap73
    letap73 Posts: 1,608
    Gazzetta67 wrote:
    letap73 wrote:

Size 47 is a 12 in the Uk - Just bought Sidi five "Mega" and the wide fitting is very comfortable. I reckon you would need a size 46.

I am a genuine Uk size 11, Sidi sizing appears to be a size smaller than Specialized of which I have two pairs - one size which is snug 46 and a 47 which allows for more comfort. The Sidi 48s are only just too big for me - with thick socks they are perfect for winter boots. I am certain the 46s would be very snug (uncomfortable for me) - perhaps that would not be the case with the mega fiiting. Your post and mine illustrates that sizing is a very personal issue. Probably more helpful is the Sidi sizing charts:

http://www.sidicafe.co.uk/size-guide#Chart A
  • TMR
    neeb wrote:
    Problem is that you can then end up with a centimeter or so of extra space in front of your big toe and possible back & forwards movement of the foot in the shoe. I am UK 8.5 foot size and I manage with a 43. My feet are not narrow, but they are low volume. Previously had 43.5 and the little bit of extra space at the front annoyed me no end.

This is the problem I have now. I have size 47 Sidi Ergo 2s and my foot slides forwards and back 1-2 cm unless I wear really thick socks.

I think I'll buy some Speedplay specific Ergo 3s in size 46. Hopefully that'll sort it out.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a good thing from a bike fit/power perspective to have one's foot moving about in the shoe.
  • Cornish-J
    Cornish-J Posts: 978
    i have ergo2s and im a size uk10 for normal shoes but my sidis are a 45 as i use inserts for arch support.
  • ajb72
    ajb72 Posts: 1,178
    I went from a 45 in Specialized to 46 in Sidi Ergo's, you generally need to go one size up.

Bear in mind also that the footbeds in Sidi's are awful - very thin and uncomfortable. Anything you change them for is likely to be a tad thicker so again worth sizing up and getting sorted with decent inserts.
  • neeb
    This is the problem I have now. I have size 47 Sidi Ergo 2s and my foot slides forwards and back 1-2 cm unless I wear really thick socks.

I think I'll buy some Speedplay specific Ergo 3s in size 46. Hopefully that'll sort it out.

I wouldn't have thought it would be a good thing from a bike fit/power perspective to have one's foot moving about in the shoe.
    Obviously fit is very personal, but if I went with the PBK chart I would be right in between 43 and 44, which is about right, but (for me at least) if anything tending towards the large side (I wear 43 and 43.5 is just a little too big). So if the chart says 45 I find it surprising that people are wearing larger sizes than that, given that the chart is already suggesting that you go up one euro size...

Maybe you should look at the Genius 6.6 for a wider fit that would allow a smaller size? That also comes with a speedplay specific sole (although only in blue...).

On the other hand if you are already wearing 47s instead of the recommended 45s, maybe a 46 in the Ergo 3 would be just right. Everyone's feet are different...
  • copper585
    copper585 Posts: 141
    I am size 11 and had size 46 in my sidis, however i eventually changed to northwave shoes, the sidis were just too narrow and tight in the toe box, northwaves were perfect in a 46.
  • neeb
    Hold on a mo, I knew something was wrong... :!:
    If any of you have SIDI shoes and UK size 11 feet, could you please tell me what size SIDIs you have? The sizing guide on PBK indicates I should have 45s.
    It's this chart, right? You weren't looking at the U.S. women's size by any chance...?

image2ezc.jpg

The chart is actually recommending a 47 for you, i.e. a size up and the size you already have (which is too big). That fits exactly with my experience, it would have me in a 44 which would be too big.

From your description of the fit of the 47, you need a 46 if it doesn't pinch your toes too much. If it does pinch, I'd go for a 46 in the Genius 6.6 SP if you need speedplay specific soles, or you could also try a 46.5 in the ergo3s but that might also be too long.
  • northpole
    northpole Posts: 1,499
    I wear UK size 10 shoes.

Spesh cycle shoes are size 45 - I've had 2 or 3 pairs, all 45, all good.

Sidi cycle shoes are size 46 - I've had two pairs (genius 6.6 and Ergo 2), both 46, both good.

If you haven't bought Sidi before, my recommendation is buy from a good shop and get the correct size. Your next pair can be bought from discount web stores when you'll know the right size.

Peter
  • TMR
    neeb wrote:
    Hold on a mo, I knew something was wrong... :!:

I've worked it out - I got the sizing from the filter option. It reads:

UK 11 / US 11.5 / EU 45 (16)

They had the Speedplay specific shoes which now seem to have gone. Ribble have no stock either :(
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've got shoes from Sidi (3 prs), Northwave and Diadora amongst others - general advise is to go one Euro-size up from your regular shoe size. Sidi winter-boots are bigger than their regular shoes to allow for thicker socks.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kozzo
    kozzo Posts: 182
    Note that most sidis also come in half sizes although not all retailers stock them. The half sizes have the sole of the next size up (e.g. 43.5 has a 44 sole) but have more volume than the full sizes. So a 43.5 is longer than a 43, with a volume that is more than a 43 but less than a 44.

Looking for information about SIDI i found this old thread with above mentioned misleading information.
    It is completely false. This is explanation directly from SIDI about half sizes:
    "WHAT SIZE ARE MY CURRENT SIDI SHOES?
    Every SIDI shoe (except triathlon models) from 2002 onward is stamped with its size and last type (Mega, arrow or Women’s), usually on the tongue. For example, a size 40.5 Woman’s model would be marked “40½ W,” the W indicating Women’s model (older shoes may use an L, for Ladies). An M indicates Mega, an S (which stands for “slim”) indicates Narrow. Size marking on the sole does not properly identify size, as it only indicates the nearest whole size and does not identify the last used (a sole marked “42,” for instance, could be a straight size 42, 42.5, a 42.5 women’s, 42 or 42.5 Mega or Narrow)."
  • neeb
    kozzo wrote:

Looking for information about SIDI i found this old thread with above mentioned misleading information.
    It is completely false. This is explanation directly from SIDI about half sizes:
    "WHAT SIZE ARE MY CURRENT SIDI SHOES?
    Every SIDI shoe (except triathlon models) from 2002 onward is stamped with its size and last type (Mega, arrow or Women’s), usually on the tongue. For example, a size 40.5 Woman’s model would be marked “40½ W,” the W indicating Women’s model (older shoes may use an L, for Ladies). An M indicates Mega, an S (which stands for “slim”) indicates Narrow. Size marking on the sole does not properly identify size, as it only indicates the nearest whole size and does not identify the last used (a sole marked “42,” for instance, could be a straight size 42, 42.5, a 42.5 women’s, 42 or 42.5 Mega or Narrow)."
    It is completely false.

Err.., no it's not...

The two statements above (mine and the one from SIDI) are entirely compatible, and both are true.

The last used determines the precise size (42, 42.5, 43 etc), and these sizes are the ones that are printed on the tongue.

The sole size only goes up in whole sizes, however, which is why the number on the sole "does not properly identify size".

At least at the time I wrote that (circa Ergo 2?) the sole used on a 43.5 is/was the same as the one used on a 44 (not the one used on a 43), so although a 43.5 is a smaller size than a 44 (it uses a smaller, lower volume last for the upper), the sole is the same, and longer than the sole on a 43.

I think this is worth knowing, as it means that the half sizes don't quite step up in the same way - a 43.5 is bigger in a slightly different way from a 43 than a 44 is from a 43.5 (etc.).

Basically, you need to try them on to get a good fit.
  • Flâneur
    Flâneur Posts: 3,081
    size 8 generally, 8.5 in say New balance trainers 42.5 in Sidi like most other cycling shoes I have tried.
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    kozzo wrote:

It is completely false.

You resurrected a three year old thread just to say that you think it's wrong? :roll:
  • bendertherobot
    bendertherobot Posts: 11,684
    I have 45 in Sidi Drako, used to have 45 in Wires. I also have had 45 in Northwave winter boots and 45 in Giro.

Sorry to confuse this thread more..........
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.