Rerun x/xx/xx Hope Valley Killer loop 37mile / 60km 10/06/12

sparky.2002
sparky.2002 Posts: 118
edited March 2013 in MTB rides
killer+loop.JPG

Posted this in the Rotherham Riders facebook group.

Everybody welcome to join us on this ride.
This ride is rock hard, and not for the unfit or faint hearted!!. This will be my fourth attempt at it ( never completed it yet). Im hoping, with company for motivation, I'll finally nail it!!

Meet at 9.30am on the street parking on the A6013 close to where it meets the A57 for a 10.00am start.
Bring plenty of food, as it saps your energy. Modifying the start to reflect meeting point, 1st climb is by the ladybower Inn up whinstone lee tor.

I do not expect to be back to the car until approx 5 or 6pm.

not sure why the image is so compressed!!

Comments

• sparky.2002
    post deleted
  • Would have loved to join you but I'm off to the lakes this weekend to collect my new bike. Might try to get up Helvelyn whilst I'm there.
    If you do postpone the ride then I would be up for it some other weekend.
    Or alternatively if you fancy an evening ride instead one week.

cheers
  • angry_bird
    angry_bird Posts: 3,786
    Won't be able to join you but that route looks great, might just steal it and do it myself when I'm back from uni :wink:

That little descent down into the back of Castleton is brilliant fun.
  • sparky.2002
    @thegeneralist, nah then climber, shame you can't make it. Reckon I'm a bit fitter than last time I rode with you. Would be good to ride again. I'm sure there'll be a rerun of this ride at some stage.
    In the meantime, I'm regularly out with Rotherham riders on fb . Should be no problem with you joining us.

@angrybird, yep cavedale descent into Castleton is a laugh!! That was where I headed back to the car at ladybower inn on last attempt. Vowed never again! Ahh well here we are, I am gonna nail this bloody ride!!
  • sdavies141
    sdavies141 Posts: 49
    Did 50KM of this on Sunday morning, it was very good, but I think the rain during this week may make some of the climbs a lot more arduous! If you willing to postpone for a week or so I may be keen!
  • sparky.2002
    Weather looking better for this sunday than last! Wet and freezing!
  • sparky.2002
    That was hard work!! 8 hours lol
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    When we going to going to do that again then mate lol :wink:

Yeah it was hard work yesterday that, glad we did it though mate
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • cubicboy
    cubicboy Posts: 117
    Came across this post by chance. Did you end up doing the whole ride? Did you ride all the way down Cavedale? My legs and arms are covered in midge bites from where we stopped in the forest: b**tards. Thanks for letting a beginner tag along. Adam.
  • sparked
    sparked Posts: 57
    Yeah we completed it mate, was bloody hard though. You're not the only 1 covered in midge bites, bit of a daft place for me to get a puncture. Paul tried to ride down cavedale I just looked at it and thought sod that lol. You didn't as much tag along as more lead the way, we couldn't keep with you mate lol, was good chatting with you but the hand signal you did was a bit confusing.

Mark
    Ride my bike until I get home
  • sparky.2002
    Hey Adam... Beginner! Couldn't catch you downhill or uphill lol! When I did finally overtake you going up, was nice to see you watching me collapsing into a heap and then gasping for oxygen while you just casually carried on regardless hehehe. Was a gruelling 8 hours but well worth it. As for the bloody midgys - legs are covered in bites!! Nice meeting you, hope to try and keep up with you again sometime

Paul
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Dude - if you're re-running this anytime let me know. Route looks ridiculous!
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.
  • sparky.2002
    Ridiculous alright!! Legs are still tired lol. I did say on sunday 'never again 'but hey, could change my mind!!.. If... Big if.. If there is a next time, I'll post a bit earlier and so that fellow riders have more time to make plans. Be good to ride with members from my first group ride again... Shame about kaise...., was gobsmacked when I found out....
  • Clank
    Be good to ride with members from my first group ride again... Shame about kaise...., was gobsmacked when I found out....

I'm planning on doing a Cut Gate re-run later in the year. I'll keep you posted. 8)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

• sparky.2002
    Yeh, do that pal. I'll definitely be up for that. I'm sure a certain person who likes to do the climbs twice might get involved too!!... Got the endurance bug now and do fancy doing this again, was thinking august time but...There's a good chance it will be too bloody hot for an 8 hour ride!! Might organise something for late September's or early October..
  • Clank
    Might organise something for late September's or early October..

tumblr_m1ekazTWFt1qg3r6a.jpg
    :wink:

• 'm sure a certain person who likes to do the climbs twice might get involved too!!...

eh whassat. Someone fancy a bike ride?

I'm off to Dalby tomorrow in the rain but looks like I might have a pass next Sunday 24 June if anyone fancies something epic in the Peak district. I was thinking Doctors Gate Round to Cut gate but if anyone fancies something a bit less short then I'd be up for that. To be honest the 60 km route you describe above sounds excellent.

Anyone available 24 June?

Sparky.2002. It's been a while, you weren't the nutter on the silver nondescript bike last time round were you? My memory aint what it used to be for pseudonyms.
  • Agree about Kaiser, gutted.
  • Clank

Sparky.2002. It's been a while, you weren't the nutter on the silver nondescript bike last time round were you? My memory aint what it used to be for pseudonyms.

That's the man, in all his hand-buffed glory! :lol:

• sparky.2002
    pseudonyms?? I'll be honest, I have forgotten everybody's name from the late Alex's ride from last October...yep, that's me on the polished turd lol. As it happens, I am free on the 24th, I'm up for anything 20k, 40k, 60k whatever!
    Right... I'm gonna try and jog my memory...
    The generalist.. Kona.. T5.. Name...?? Stu?
    clank.. Can't remember bike, or car, wears glasses name?? F knows! Rog? Mike? . God I'm thick at times!
  • Clank
    pseudonyms?? I'll be honest, I have forgotten everybody's name from the late Alex's ride from last October...yep, that's me on the polished turd lol. As it happens, I am free on the 24th, I'm up for anything 20k, 40k, 60k whatever!
    Right... I'm gonna try and jog my memory...
    The generalist.. Kona.. T5.. Name...?? Stu?
    clank.. Can't remember bike, or car, wears glasses name?? F knows! Rog? Mike? . God I'm thick at times!

Black Kinesis hartail, in the Defender. Don't think I ever named my glasses! :P

Would love to join you but I'm up to my armpits on the weekend of the 24th. Have a good run guys!

• DodgeT
    DodgeT Posts: 2,255
    Rog (that's me) on the enduro. I'd be keen to join on one soon too, can't do next weekend as at degla on sat then family stuff on the sun.
    Keep us posted though :)
  • gratuitous thread bump.

Rerun planned for Sunday 7th April.
    10.00am start at Ladybower Inn.

Hope you can join us
  • DodgeT
    Cheers for the reminder. There's a cruddy snowdon ride on the very same weekend http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=10007&t=12884639 otherwise i'd of been looking to join..
  • Clank
    gratuitous thread bump.

Rerun planned for Sunday 7th April.
    10.00am start at Ladybower Inn.

Hope you can join us

You know what - I reckon I can.

Should be a hoot! 8)

• Excellent. There are 5 confirmed so far. Should be a good ride :)
  • best get my fitness up for this...did 20 mile in the peaks on saturday - bloody killed me!
  • DodgeT
    Where did you ride? Did the jacobs ladder route on sat morning, was a gorgeous day.
  • Whinstone lee tor, cutthroat bridge, crookhill farm, hagg farm, Wooler knoll, the beast then tarmac bash back to car. Rode it rigid.... Had arm, shoulder and chest pump till Tuesday...was great!
    How was Jacobs? Love that descent